• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Store Prohibits Carry: Work In Progress

djdavis75

I posted the following on 7-8-2013 in another thread:

We do have one local store that has posted a sign with a no guns/knives symbol. I asked the owner about the sign and she said it was in response to a local resident who brought a knife in the store and was cutting on himself. I told her it prohibited people with a handgun license from carrying inside the store. She told me she didn't mind people with a license carrying them in the store, but didn't offer to remove the sign either. I have not visited the store lately because of the sign and have been taking my business elsewhere. I respect the store owner had an issue, so I made her a new sign, and I am going to visit with her and ask if she is willing to replace her existing sign with the one I made. My sign has the same no guns/knives symbol, but says under the symbol "NO ILLEGAL GUNS" and on the next line "NO KNIVES", and in smaller print below says "FIREARMS CARRIED IN FULL COMPLIANCE WITH THE OKLAHOMA SELF DEFENSE ACT ARE ALLOWED."

UPDATE: Last week I went by the store but the owner wasn't there, but I left the sign and asked the employee to ask the owner to review it and see if she was willing to post it.

UPDATE 07-27-2013: I went by the store today and saw the sign hadn't been changed. So I removed my gun and went in and talked to the same guy I had left the sign with. He told me the owner was there, so I proceeded to speak to her. She seemed very agreeable to the new sign, but she said she never received it, and thanked me for printing her a sign. I was open carrying, but had removed my gun from my holster. I informed her I have my holster on but removed my gun to comply with her sign. She said I should have brought it in. So I will reprint the new sign per her request and hopefully this situation will be resolved. She was very nice and agreeable on everything, she doesn't seem to be anti 2nd amendment or carry. Hopefully it will work out.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Good luck ... I think you are just spinning your wheels here but ya never know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi9sLkyhhlE Blood Sweet & Tears tune

Ya did everything you could do -- heck even gave her a new sign to post...

I anticipate that they are happy with their current sign and if you enter with your gun they'll all have selective amnesia about them saying "its fine to bring your gun in here" or claim that you pushed them on the ground, put the gun into their mouth and demanded that they say those words.

Happy carrying ...

djdavis75

UPDATE 08-03-2013: I went by the store today and saw the sign had been nicely posted on the door, and the old one was gone. The owner was there and I thanked her for posting it. Anyway if your ever in Mt. Herman, Oklahoma, the store there is good for Open/Concealed Carry.

stealthyeliminator

Nice job! Sounds like you were nice, patient, and respectful, but persistent and it paid off. IMO you've acted as a good example to follow