• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

who writes stuff for the WH/DOD Sy Fi channel? Blimps used to detect missles? really?

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://www.nationaljournal.com/nati...they-re-here-to-stop-cruise-missiles-20130726

Don’t Be Alarmed by the Drone Blimps Hovering Over D.C. They’re Here to Stop Cruise Missiles

2 drone blimps for the capitol -- none for me. go figure.

Its a big lie of course ... a blimp is not going to be of any use regarding missile defense.

They'll say anything to spy on us.

"Bob, ya know people won't like eyes-in-the-skies" ..

"Well Phil, just tell them its part of our missile defense"

"hahahaha they'll have to buy that ~ just because we said so hahahaha"

EMNofSeattle

Really, yes,

A lighter then air aircraft such as a blimp or dirigible can operate at altitudes higher then fixed wing aircraft.

also when it comes to missile detection there are issues with "line of sight" the curvature of the earth limits radar and communications range. that's why many broadcast radio towers are 1000 feet tall whereas the actual "antenna" is only about 20 feet long.

This is why the military has "AWACS" those air craft with radar equipment on board, it increases the range of radar detection, of course 4 engine jets like the E-3 burn mucho mucho fossil fuels, so an LTA aircraft at a stationary location can act as an AWAC much cheaper then one....

EMNofSeattle

Two blimp tethers intersecting an infinity of D.C. target vectors is no more reasonable than the risks of air-shots so blandly accepted here. "Stupid is as stupid does."

It's more economic stimulation through FedGov regulation, expending the last of the stored helium to drive its costs up just like buying all the ammo. Or do you think the blimps will be filled with hydrogen? Are tracer rounds still legal or have they been made illegal too?

I think helium party baloons should be illegal, and the congress people who passed the law authorizing the private sale of the helium reserve should be sanctioned....

helium is a vital resource and getting more of it may be difficult unless we increase gas exploration significantly.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Really, yes,

A lighter then air aircraft such as a blimp or dirigible can operate at altitudes higher then fixed wing aircraft.

also when it comes to missile detection there are issues with "line of sight" the curvature of the earth limits radar and communications range. that's why many broadcast radio towers are 1000 feet tall whereas the actual "antenna" is only about 20 feet long.

This is why the military has "AWACS" those air craft with radar equipment on board, it increases the range of radar detection, of course 4 engine jets like the E-3 burn mucho mucho fossil fuels, so an LTA aircraft at a stationary location can act as an AWAC much cheaper then one....

We have satellites for this purpose ... the purpose of these is to take pics of you and me sipping margarettas in our back yards...

davidmcbeth

Banned
David - the time it takes to process and send satellite info to the proper people is too long to deal with an incoming missle. Using tethered ballons to increase the range and line-of-sight advantage they would provide for a radar assembly is a good idea. The blimps aren't meant to interfere with planes or cruise missles the way the old WW2 "barrage balloons" were used. They are just meant to give a "high ground" viewpoint.

I would think that the processes between a satellite v. balloon is the same -- send a signal via EM radiation (traveling about 3 * 10^8 m/s ~ nothing from balloon to higher satellite).

So, why do they need balloons? And the balloons are not 10 miles out in the atlantic ... where for missile defense would be more useful, right?

The balloons are for spying on us ~ I know I have a missile in my pants but it does not have anything to do with national defense.

Last edited: