• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travelling from Texas

tx-skydiver

Just wanted to drop a question regarding your new Open Carry law. First of all...Congratulations. I wish Texas had the cahones to do the same.

Anyway I will be travelling through next week and wanted to know how accepted the practice is at this point. Will we be harassed if we do it? Any thing I should know before I do it?

hrdware

Just wanted to drop a question regarding your new Open Carry law. First of all...Congratulations. I wish Texas had the cahones to do the same.

Anyway I will be travelling through next week and wanted to know how accepted the practice is at this point. Will we be harassed if we do it? Any thing I should know before I do it?

Most officers won't bother with a license check and those that do will just glance over it to make sure it isn't expired. Other than that just stay away from the prohibited places...government buildings...schools...prisons...professional events (a few others I can't remember off the top of my head) and you'll be fine.

If you've carried in OK prior to OC being legal, just follow all those same rules.

gungirl79

I open carry two or three times a week. No one so much as even looks at me funny.

I've OC'd and never had any issues just some stares from others but no problem with L.E.O's. Actually seen my first OC'er today while at Lowe's, other than myself :) pretty cool!!!

tx-skydiver

Thanks all. I've CC'd in Oklahoma and obviously never had an issue because nobody knew. I would really love to be able to OC so just wanted to be sure that LEOs would not bother me...especially since the law is so new. I have my Texas CHL which OK recognizes so I should be ok then.

I do not plan to go anywhere except my vehicle and gas stations as I travel through on our way to Yellowstone.

Thank you for the responses.

Peacemaker65

I open carry all the time with no issues. I've had several law enforcement contacts with no issues. They do have the right to ask to see your ID and permit. Overall, it has been a very positive experience. Just make sure you know the few prohibited places.

Glock 1st fan

Take a moment and read over the laws http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2012.pdf

I always feel its best to read for myself then take others words for it.

TITLE 21 § 1290.26
RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT AUTHORITY
The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license
issued by another state, or if the state is a nonpermitting carry state, this state shall reciprocate under the permitting
law ofthat state.

A. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed or unconcealed carry upon the
authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed or unconcealed firearm and
license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must either be carried
unconcealed or concealed from detection and view
, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state,
the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed or unconcealed firearm pursuant to a
valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state.

Last edited: