• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Time to push to eliminate BFPE is NOW --

Push legislation to eliminate BPFE ?

• Yes, prepare for next session

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No, its too early; maybe later

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No, never

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters

davidmcbeth

Banned
I know many people are happy with the BFPE ... but many are not. And for various reasons, some good , some bad.

But the time time to push to eliminate the board is now when democrats would support such a measure. If we wait until democrats push to change the make-up of the board to be anti-gun and are successful then we'll have an admin board that the courts would take judicial notice of in their actions and no relief for anyone would be possible.

Vote to eliminate the board while we can or be stuck with a board that will rubber-stamp every anti-decision that comes before it.

SASD209

Disagree. What do YOU propose to replace this vehicle for an appeals process with??

davidmcbeth

Banned
Disagree. What do YOU propose to replace this vehicle for an appeals process with??

I would propose a trip right to the courts; if you win, all fees and costs payable by those that denied with monetary sanctions possible. It will not be until towns start paying $$ will the silliness stop.

Of course, constitutional carry would be nice with no pre-conditions.

Once the BFPE swings the other way, support for eliminating it would vanish in our legislature.

brk913

Rather than try to eliminate the BoFPE efforts would be better spent working on removing the local authority from the permit process. It is a disgrace that non residents can obtain a permit easier than residents can due to a local official's personal views. Whether they are outright anti firearm or just decide to operate slowly violating state statute and blaming the delays because that they are over worked by all the applications or the back ground check system the local authorities have shown their disdain for this system. I believe all applications should go straight to the DESPP and should be processed simply based on criminal history, suitability is a farce and should not even be looked at, if a permit holder shows themselves to be unsuitable then of course they should have their permit revoked and a hearing to determine if they deserve it back but not during an initial application process. This would reduce the workload of the BoFPE who can then concentrate on only the important stuff, revocations.

ETA: Of course Constitutional Carry would be nice but one step at a time works for me....

Last edited:

Rich B

Rather than try to eliminate the BoFPE efforts would be better spent working on removing the local authority from the permit process. It is a disgrace that non residents can obtain a permit easier than residents can due to a local official's personal views. Whether they are outright anti firearm or just decide to operate slowly violating state statute and blaming the delays because that they are over worked by all the applications or the back ground check system the local authorities have shown their disdain for this system. I believe all applications should go straight to the DESPP and should be processed simply based on criminal history, suitability is a farce and should not even be looked at, if a permit holder shows themselves to be unsuitable then of course they should have their permit revoked and a hearing to determine if they deserve it back but not during an initial application process. This would reduce the workload of the BoFPE who can then concentrate on only the important stuff, revocations.

Indeed. Except if the local issuing authority (suitability) was removed, revocations could quite honestly be a court matter, since without suitability, you are either guilty of a disqualifier or you are not.

The only real purpose for the BFPE is in deciding 'suitability' since there is no current legal standard since it is BS notion to begin with.

brk913

Indeed. Except if the local issuing authority (suitability) was removed, revocations could quite honestly be a court matter, since without suitability, you are either guilty of a disqualifier or you are not.

The only real purpose for the BFPE is in deciding 'suitability' since there is no current legal standard since it is BS notion to begin with.
True, there would then be no need for the Board, no disqualifier, no revocation, no hearing....works for me...

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

Well, there was a case (Heller II) where the authorities wanted him to take a gun safety class prior to being "approved" to be able to purchase. Court struck that down.

The also was a case, Ezell (sp?) in Chgo, saying that the right to practice is covered under the 2nd.

In CT, you need a permit to practice .. so I think that no safety class is a lawful requirement.

This would leave, like you & others have noted, suitability being "are you able to possess or own" being the only true criteria.