• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

anyone know anything about The Virginia Ready Reserve

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So, you're a SHTF club?
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Maybe a little smarter and better managed than most of them.

Just wanted to offer a gentle reminder that as VRR continues to grow, it's going to be doubly important to be mindful of the image we project to the "outside world" in the way we represent ourselves, and especially in terms of heated discussions on social media like FB.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Anyone else getting a very odd standoffish vibe from the 2 'reps'? :uhoh:

Not really standoffish but not the kind of people I'd want to be around for long either.
Rick's question's been answered and they got their message is out.
Now people that are interested know how to contact them.

Moore

Ok, let me address this. Neither of us are trying to be standoffish. We may be on the defensive but that is because we took from some of the posts that we were automatically being judged as a second rate copy cat organization from people that knew nothing about the VRR nor attempted to contact anyone within the VRR.

Lets start over. I am actively involved in the VRR and was one of its founders. If I can be of any help or answer any questions about our organization then please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:

starbuck

It's easy to poke fun at organizations like this that pop up from time to time. In my opinion though, any organization that's true purpose is to help people, and not to play "Militia Man" is to be afforded some respect.
The patch that's on the VRR website, while well-designed, gives the "pseudo-military" vibe to it. Organizations like the VRR would probably get a little more respect from the masses if their appearance was more professional and less paramilitary. While it may not be right, in the end, perception is everything.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It's easy to poke fun at organizations like this that pop up from time to time. In my opinion though, any organization that's true purpose is to help people, and not to play "Militia Man" is to be afforded some respect.
The patch that's on the VRR website, while well-designed, gives the "pseudo-military" vibe to it. Organizations like the VRR would probably get a little more respect from the masses if their appearance was more professional and less paramilitary. While it may not be right, in the end, perception is everything.

I didn't see where anyone even poked any serious fun at them Starbuck.

Rick asked if anyone knew anything about them. No one did but offered an opinion from what was available, which wasn't much.

One of them came on here with post number 1, extremely high handed, accusing a senior member of trolling, Etc. and in my opinion...being exactly what he was saying the members here were. It was a little ironic that the attack was directed someone that has bothered to take community disaster training.

I await the attack of the keyboard commandos that live in their mom's basement! Or the circular firing squad of trolls.

That got him a lot of big boy points!

I looked at the website and forum and it looks like it's pretty well organized and legitimate. Not for me because I don't live in a community so I'm not all that interested....but some members here are. I discussed it with one last night who is a HAM and will probably join. Nothing wrong with that.

In the meantime, Moore is doing damage control which isn't necessary. The group has been posted and seen by most here who will make up their own minds.

starbuck

I didn't see where anyone even poked any serious fun at them Starbuck.

Rick asked if anyone knew anything about them. No one did but offered an opinion from what was available, which wasn't much.

One of them came on here with post number 1, extremely high handed, accusing a senior member of trolling, Etc. and in my opinion...being exactly what he was saying the members here were. It was a little ironic that the attack was directed someone that has bothered to take community disaster training.

That got him a lot of big boy points!

I looked at the website and forum and it looks like it's pretty well organized and legitimate. Not for me because I don't live in a community so I'm not all that interested....but some members here are. I discussed it with one last night who is a HAM and will probably join. Nothing wrong with that.

In the meantime, Moore is doing damage control which isn't necessary. The group has been posted and seen by most here who will make up their own minds.

I guess my statement was too general. I wasn't implying anyone specifically was mocking them. Honestly, my initial impression was "Great, more fat dudes in camo playing army", so my remarks were pointed back at myself as much as they were any one else.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I stand corrected.

Although honestly.... I'm perfectly content not being able to accurately quote Shakespeare... :p

That's Master Doug Huffman's job!
smiley-laughing021.gif
:banana::monkey

speed41ae

I registered on their forum and I am planning to join their organization. I would like to be able to meet and discuss topics about being prepared with like minded people.

Lyndsy Simon

I wonder if the Secretary of the Commonwealth has authorized them to use the Great Seal on their patches.

I am very surprised at them calling themself the "Ready Reserve" - as that name was claimed by the real military eons ago for what we now refer to as "Reserves". It separated those who drill weekly/camp every summer from those who merely had time left on their 6-year obligation and thus were "ready" for call-up to active service. Maybe we ought to check with the Pentagon about that as well?

I have submitted inquiries to the Secretary of the Commonwealth concerning the use of the State Seal and Motto, and to the Department of Military Affairs concerning the use of the term "Ready Reserve". I will post any responses received.

Come now - seriously?

I've not been around here long, so let me say first that I absolutely respect you and what you've accomplished, skidmark. I don't mean to start a fight, but I do want to say my peace.

This site is organized around the idea that people in this country should not have to ask their government's permission to exercise their inviolate and pre-existing right to go armed in their day-to-day, peaceful lives. That's something that I feel very strongly about, and I know you do as well.

Why then should one need ask permission to exercise other, similar rights - namely those of free speech and association? This group is harming no one by using a portion of the Commonwealth's seal in their emblem. Neither are they harming anyone by using the term "ready reserve" in their group's name. Allow me to be the first to assure you that no rational person in this nation would ever mistake "the People" with "the Government"; they are quite clearly separate and distinct entities notwithstanding similarities in name or image.

I was shocked to see your appeal to authority. I completely understand how you wouldn't want to be a part of their group, but to ask that they seek the consent of our apparent rulers for their use of words and images... well, I just don't understand how you could have arrived at this conclusion while maintaining a consistent view of the rights of Man.

The fact that you claim to have contacted the state and federal authorities over this perceived slight is wholly contradictory.

I beg that you reconsider your words - not about the organization itself, with which I have no ties or interest - but with regard to the righteousness of the laws you have accused them of breaking.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Come now - seriously?

Why then should one need ask permission to exercise other, similar rights - namely those of free speech and association? This group is harming no one by using a portion of the Commonwealth's seal in their emblem. Neither are they harming anyone by using the term "ready reserve" in their group's name. Allow me to be the first to assure you that no rational person in this nation would ever mistake "the People" with "the Government"; they are quite clearly separate and distinct entities notwithstanding similarities in name or image.

Lyndsy, I think Skid was asking why the Commonwealth hadn't stopped it.
There is a law in Virginia against using the seal or the flag without permission.

Skid's question was a little like asking travelers from the cities "How come you ain't been scalped yet".

There was a supreme Court case a couple of years ago that took a lot of the wind out of Virginia's law, I just don't remember if it would pertain to the RR's use or not.

wylde007

Lyndsy, I think Skid was asking why the Commonwealth hadn't stopped it.
There is a law in Virginia against using the seal or the flag without permission.
There's a federal flag code, too, forbidding the use of the "American Flag" in advertisements or logos for businesses, or for wearing any part of the flag as a piece of clothing. I'm pretty sure it has never been enforced, especially in Hampton Roads.

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#176

readyfire

Hey guy's I am a member of VRR and the area point of contact for the Tidewater area.Look guy's there isn't a fella I have met in VRR yet that's either a dumb militia redneck,a racist,or any thing else people want to make them.Good guy's with good values and Ill stand by them through thick and thin.They put this group together to not be those things and and to have a good solid group of people who are pro Constitutional in their values,and who love this Country..If anyone would want to meetup and talk shop contact me here and or the site.Ready

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
NECROPOST!

readyfire - the subnject was dropped. Why you felt a need to come and stir the pot is unknown.

stay safe.