Thread: 1st time = nervous

1st time = nervous

So I am a resident of Texas and a CHL holder. I will be travelling to Yellowstone and Sturgis and travelling through 5 other states. Texas wimped out on OC again this session and I really want to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights.
    Texas (of course) and cc only
    Oklahoma
    Kansas
    Colorado
    Wyoming
    South Dakota
    Nebraska

It all appears from reading here, handgun.us and iPhone app (Legal Heat) that all of these states have reciprocity and allow Open Carry.

My gal and I plan to do this. She is small and has a 4.5" Springfield XDM. My pistol will likely blend in better with me. She will be VERY noticable.

Anyway - Are we crazy?

No, not crazy at all. We do need pics to verify "blending in" or not and "noticeable" or not.
    Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    No, not crazy at all. We do need pics to verify "blending in" or not and "noticeable" or not.
    Perhaps we will play dress up tonight and snap one.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tx-skydiver View Post
    So I am a resident of Texas and a CHL holder. I will be travelling to Yellowstone and Sturgis and travelling through 5 other states. Texas wimped out on OC again this session and I really want to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights.
    Texas (of course) and cc only
    Oklahoma
    Kansas
    Colorado
    Wyoming
    South Dakota
    Nebraska
    It is not all gold in them thar hills:

Kansas - OC is a checkerboard of legality, http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=230

Colorado - no OC in Denver city & county, http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=207

Nebraska - no OC in Omaha w/o special permit, http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=269
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    It is not all gold in them thar hills:

Kansas - OC is a checkerboard of legality, http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=230

Colorado - no OC in Denver city & county, http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=207

Nebraska - no OC in Omaha w/o special permit, http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=269
    Thanks Grapeshot. Thanks to all of the great info on this site I was aware of those points.
    We are steering clear of Denver by going around city and not stopping anywhere near it.
    Omaha is not on our route
    Kansas we will likely not OC since they seem to be the least tolerant.

Here's the pic of me. My lady is not home yet so none of her yet. This is likely how I will be dressed. Does it look like I am trying to be noticed with one part of my shirt under it like that? I'm not a tucker and if the shirt is over it it looks like I am smuggling a piano under my shirt.

I wonder if a leg holster is more in order here. Thoughts???

The way you are carrying in the picture is typical of what many do.

Leg/thigh holsters have a tacticool look to them IMHO, but there is certainly nothing wrong with them if that is what one prefers.

All in all it is the person's demeanor that will set the tone - me, I smile and nod when passing a stranger.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Re: nervous-ness

Does it look like I am trying to be noticed with one part of my shirt under it like that? I'm not a tucker and if the shirt is over it it looks like I am smuggling a piano under my shirt.

Hello there Tx. I'm an Arizonan, but I want to wish you the best of luck on your first OC day. Being relatively new (just over a month now), I know how nervous one can feel at first (even if you have done a mental run-through of possible confrontations). The only advice I feel qualified to give you and yours is that as long as you act like the gun is a normal tool (like a Leatherman you may wear), people will to be more at ease because you give off a "this is normal" vibe. Just refrain from putting your hand on the grip (draws negative attention) to check for it.
    In general, you'll probably find that most people don't notice that you're carrying. (I carried a full-size matte stainless 1911 while wearing dark tucked in shirts, and VERY few people even noticed the gun that should have practically jumped out at them by color contrast).

Thanks guys. I will stick with belt carry. Tactical I think will be even more obvious.

Glad you are happy with your experience Rusty. Thats good advice. I am good about keeping my hands off but I do have to pull my pants up alot due to weight...even with a Galco gun belt. I will obviously be more careful with that.

I will only use a retention holster (Blackhawk) with anything I OC so that limits me to my G27 or Sig P229. Both are bulky and heavy but I love them both equally. My better half will want her Springfield XDM 4.5 but I don't have a retention holster for that one. She says she isn;'t really interested anyway. She wants to completely relax and not have to worry about being approached.

Kansas we will likely not OC since they seem to be the least tolerant.

You will not have any problems throughout most of rural Kansas, it is very tolerant. Wichita has come in compliance with State law, there are some problem areas in the KC suburbs, and I think Junction City but even Topeka has been tolerant of OC, obey the signs and be polite-no problems
    Last edited by Jeff Cramer; 08-05-2013 at 04:07 PM.

1st time = nervous

Sorry to post here but I am having a little trouble posting my question on here can an admin msg me??

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdealer View Post
    Sorry to post here but I am having a little trouble posting my question on here can an admin msg me??
    Welcome to OCDO. Not sure what problem you are having.

Go to the sub-forum of choice. State specific questions are best in your home state sub-forum - either reply to an existing thread if appropriate or start a new thread. You'l get the hang of it in short order.

Please read the Forum Rules and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The way you are carrying in the picture is typical of what many do.

Leg/thigh holsters have a tacticool look to them IMHO, but there is certainly nothing wrong with them if that is what one prefers.

All in all it is the person's demeanor that will set the tone - me, I smile and nod when passing a stranger.
    I second that, most people won't notice, and those who do will take unconscious cues from how you carry yourself.
    Relax, smile and act like it's just another beautiful day!

Also, consider how you will respond to the questions you may receive.

-MH

KCCO
    Last edited by March Hare; 08-06-2013 at 11:52 AM.
    $2 Bill - Calling Card of the 2A Movement
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    Seriously, who is John Galt?
    Vires et honestas

I am back from the vacation and happy to report that I was successful with no negative (or positive) encounters to speak of. I brought the setup pictured as well as my S&W Shield with IWB holster because I wanted to do some observing first. Being an out of state visitor I was more hesitant.

I was very surprised that I saw very few people OC'ing...and I was inspecting EVERYONE. Since I did not see much of it form the state's residents, I wore my IWB setup but over my shirt so the butt was visible. It still was very refreshing that I did not have to worry about it "being seen".

I did, however, see an awesome dude in Wyoming. It was a small town Matitsee or something like that. He was carrying a cannon. It was an old western revolver with a 6 inch barrel cross-draw. He was using the butt like an armrest as he walked. Impressive.

Anyway - I hope that one day Texas gets it right and passes legislation for OC.

I am back from the vacation and happy to report that I was successful with no negative (or positive) encounters to speak of. I brought the setup pictured as well as my S&W Shield with IWB holster because I wanted to do some observing first. Being an out of state visitor I was more hesitant.
    Glad to hear you two had no trouble. Truth be told, I was getting a little worried you might have been taken under by the gun-grabbing zombies.

I did, however, see an awesome dude in Wyoming. It was a small town Matitsee or something like that. He was carrying a cannon. It was an old western revolver with a 6 inch barrel cross-draw. He was using the butt like an armrest as he walked. Impressive.

Anyway - I hope that one day Texas gets it right and passes legislation for OC.
    No pictures?

Good luck and god bless... another thing to research would be laws governing travel with a loaded/unloaded firearm. It can be tricky to decipher at times.

I see now I am late to comment
    Last edited by MattinWA; 08-28-2013 at 03:37 PM.