• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st time = nervous

tx-skydiver

So I am a resident of Texas and a CHL holder. I will be travelling to Yellowstone and Sturgis and travelling through 5 other states. Texas wimped out on OC again this session and I really want to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights.
Texas (of course) and cc only
Oklahoma
Kansas
Colorado
Wyoming
South Dakota
Nebraska

It all appears from reading here, handgun.us and iPhone app (Legal Heat) that all of these states have reciprocity and allow Open Carry.

My gal and I plan to do this. She is small and has a 4.5" Springfield XDM. My pistol will likely blend in better with me. She will be VERY noticable.

Anyway - Are we crazy?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So I am a resident of Texas and a CHL holder. I will be travelling to Yellowstone and Sturgis and travelling through 5 other states. Texas wimped out on OC again this session and I really want to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights.
Texas (of course) and cc only
Oklahoma
Kansas
Colorado
Wyoming
South Dakota
Nebraska

It is not all gold in them thar hills:

Kansas - OC is a checkerboard of legality, http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=230

Colorado - no OC in Denver city & county, http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=207

Nebraska - no OC in Omaha w/o special permit, http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=269

tx-skydiver

It is not all gold in them thar hills:

Kansas - OC is a checkerboard of legality, http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=230

Colorado - no OC in Denver city & county, http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=207

Nebraska - no OC in Omaha w/o special permit, http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=269

Thanks Grapeshot. Thanks to all of the great info on this site I was aware of those points.
We are steering clear of Denver by going around city and not stopping anywhere near it.
Omaha is not on our route
Kansas we will likely not OC since they seem to be the least tolerant.

Here's the pic of me. My lady is not home yet so none of her yet. This is likely how I will be dressed. Does it look like I am trying to be noticed with one part of my shirt under it like that? I'm not a tucker and if the shirt is over it it looks like I am smuggling a piano under my shirt.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The way you are carrying in the picture is typical of what many do.

Leg/thigh holsters have a tacticool look to them IMHO, but there is certainly nothing wrong with them if that is what one prefers.

All in all it is the person's demeanor that will set the tone - me, I smile and nod when passing a stranger.

Rusty Young Man

Re: nervous-ness

Does it look like I am trying to be noticed with one part of my shirt under it like that? I'm not a tucker and if the shirt is over it it looks like I am smuggling a piano under my shirt.

Hello there Tx. I'm an Arizonan, but I want to wish you the best of luck on your first OC day. Being relatively new (just over a month now), I know how nervous one can feel at first (even if you have done a mental run-through of possible confrontations). The only advice I feel qualified to give you and yours is that as long as you act like the gun is a normal tool (like a Leatherman you may wear), people will to be more at ease because you give off a "this is normal" vibe. Just refrain from putting your hand on the grip (draws negative attention) to check for it.
In general, you'll probably find that most people don't notice that you're carrying. (I carried a full-size matte stainless 1911 while wearing dark tucked in shirts, and VERY few people even noticed the gun that should have practically jumped out at them by color contrast).:)

tx-skydiver

Thanks guys. I will stick with belt carry. Tactical I think will be even more obvious.

Glad you are happy with your experience Rusty. Thats good advice. I am good about keeping my hands off but I do have to pull my pants up alot due to weight...even with a Galco gun belt. I will obviously be more careful with that.

I will only use a retention holster (Blackhawk) with anything I OC so that limits me to my G27 or Sig P229. Both are bulky and heavy but I love them both equally. My better half will want her Springfield XDM 4.5 but I don't have a retention holster for that one. She says she isn;'t really interested anyway. She wants to completely relax and not have to worry about being approached.

Jeff Cramer

Kansas we will likely not OC since they seem to be the least tolerant.

You will not have any problems throughout most of rural Kansas, it is very tolerant. Wichita has come in compliance with State law, there are some problem areas in the KC suburbs, and I think Junction City but even Topeka has been tolerant of OC, obey the signs and be polite-no problems

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sorry to post here but I am having a little trouble posting my question on here can an admin msg me??

Welcome to OCDO. Not sure what problem you are having.

Go to the sub-forum of choice. State specific questions are best in your home state sub-forum - either reply to an existing thread if appropriate or start a new thread. You'l get the hang of it in short order.

Please read the Forum Rules and enjoy.

March Hare

The way you are carrying in the picture is typical of what many do.

Leg/thigh holsters have a tacticool look to them IMHO, but there is certainly nothing wrong with them if that is what one prefers.

All in all it is the person's demeanor that will set the tone - me, I smile and nod when passing a stranger.

I second that, most people won't notice, and those who do will take unconscious cues from how you carry yourself.
Relax, smile and act like it's just another beautiful day!

Also, consider how you will respond to the questions you may receive.

-MH

KCCO

Last edited:

tx-skydiver

I am back from the vacation and happy to report that I was successful with no negative (or positive) encounters to speak of. I brought the setup pictured as well as my S&W Shield with IWB holster because I wanted to do some observing first. Being an out of state visitor I was more hesitant.

I was very surprised that I saw very few people OC'ing...and I was inspecting EVERYONE. Since I did not see much of it form the state's residents, I wore my IWB setup but over my shirt so the butt was visible. It still was very refreshing that I did not have to worry about it "being seen".

I did, however, see an awesome dude in Wyoming. It was a small town Matitsee or something like that. He was carrying a cannon. It was an old western revolver with a 6 inch barrel cross-draw. He was using the butt like an armrest as he walked. Impressive.

Anyway - I hope that one day Texas gets it right and passes legislation for OC.

Rusty Young Man

I am back from the vacation and happy to report that I was successful with no negative (or positive) encounters to speak of. I brought the setup pictured as well as my S&W Shield with IWB holster because I wanted to do some observing first. Being an out of state visitor I was more hesitant.

Glad to hear you two had no trouble. Truth be told, I was getting a little worried you might have been taken under by the gun-grabbing zombies.:)

I did, however, see an awesome dude in Wyoming. It was a small town Matitsee or something like that. He was carrying a cannon. It was an old western revolver with a 6 inch barrel cross-draw. He was using the butt like an armrest as he walked. Impressive.

Anyway - I hope that one day Texas gets it right and passes legislation for OC.

No pictures?

MattinWA

Good luck and god bless... another thing to research would be laws governing travel with a loaded/unloaded firearm. It can be tricky to decipher at times.

I see now I am late to comment

Last edited: