• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Nashville

Boba Fett

Hello brothers on Tennessee!

I'm going with my family to visit my sister from South Carolina; we're meeting in Nashville, I'll be there for a few days and would like to OC my Glock if possible. I'm 18 and will be turning 19 while I'm there. I have a non-resident CCW from Maine. Will I be able to open or conceal carry in Nashville during my stay?

Thank you!

Silvertongue

Able? Absolutely. Legally allowed? No way, sir.

Tennessee's legal minimum age to carry at all is 21, and I cannot suggest that you carry while visiting.

Follow the 3 Stupid Rule and hopefully you will fine.

Note: I am repressing my personal opinion and giving you the best legal advice I, as a non-lawyer, can give.

JayC

While you must be 21 to be issued a TN HCP, there is nothing in the statute which mention ages about recognizing out of state permits. Lets look at the law:

39-17-1351r1:

A facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit or license issued by another state shall be valid in this state according to its terms and shall be treated as if it is a handgun permit issued by this state; provided, however, the provisions of this subsection (r) shall not be construed to authorize the holder of any out-of-state permit or license to carry, in this state, any firearm or weapon other than a handgun.

You'll note there is no mention of needing to meet all the requirements of TN HCP for the permit to be considered valid. If he's not a TN resident, and does not regularly "work" inside TN, then it would appear on the face of it he has a valid permit and can carry in TN on that permit.

Now with that said, the OP should be aware that the vast majority of officer in TN will not know about this little 'loophole' in the law, and may in fact think you're breaking the law, not sure if I'd want to be the test case or not :) And while it will go against the OC nature of the forum in this specific case I'd probably CC just to avoid contact with police officers because of the high likelihood of arrest for doing something completely legal.

IANAL either, but atleast in my case I took the time to read and quote you the law in question :)

Able? Absolutely. Legally allowed? No way, sir.

Tennessee's legal minimum age to carry at all is 21, and I cannot suggest that you carry while visiting.

Follow the 3 Stupid Rule and hopefully you will fine.

Note: I am repressing my personal opinion and giving you the best legal advice I, as a non-lawyer, can give.

Last edited:

Boba Fett

And I always believe in taking advice directly from the law. Plus one to you JayC! I think I'll pack my little .38 under my Hawaiian shirt for this trip. My sister is a new mother who I am trying to persuade to start carrying. A negative LEO encounter would probably not be good for her to witness.

Nascar24Glock

And I always believe in taking advice directly from the law. Plus one to you JayC! I think I'll pack my little .38 under my Hawaiian shirt for this trip. My sister is a new mother who I am trying to persuade to start carrying. A negative LEO encounter would probably not be good for her to witness.

If you do decide to OC while here, I would recommend that you print off the section of the law that the previous user posted and keep it on hand in case you get questioned by an officer. Also, have a voice recorder running; to my knowledge, Tennessee is a one-party consent state.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer. None of the above information is, or should be construed as, legal advice. I accept no liability for any actions that a person may or may not take based upon this information. For legal advice, consult an attorney licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction.

Last edited:

myburm

Hi, I'm new in here, but was raised in Nashville. The police downtown just arrested a guy for OCing a rifle a few days ago. Granted, how he handled being stopped may have exacerbated it, but they ended up getting him for a suppressor. We have some young LEOs down there and quite a few who think they have something to prove. The old schoolers know better. Tread very carefully, they ain't used to OC here.

Link to story _http://www.wsmv.com/story/22963085/gun-advocate-arrested-for-carrying-weapon-on-downtown-street

I didn't make it a true hyperlink because I wasn't sure about the rules on that and I just can't read EVERYTHING...lol

Ang

Boba Fett

Interesting trip. I CC'd everywhere. Came 2 feet from entering a posted restaurant. Their sign was black and white and the no gun symbol was barely visible. Close call.

myburm

Interesting trip. I CC'd everywhere. Came 2 feet from entering a posted restaurant. Their sign was black and white and the no gun symbol was barely visible. Close call.

Glad you had no issues! Did you go downtown? My favorite bar is posted, but they are like family so I deal with it...

Boba Fett

Glad you had no issues! Did you go downtown? My favorite bar is posted, but they are like family so I deal with it...

No, just to the mall. J. Alexander's was the posted place. I didn't really go anywhere out of the hotel much else except the Chinese takeout place and KFC. lol

HPmatt

While you must be 21 to be issued a TN HCP, there is nothing in the statute which mention ages about recognizing out of state permits. Lets look at the law:

39-17-1351r1:

You'll note there is no mention of needing to meet all the requirements of TN HCP for the permit to be considered valid. If he's not a TN resident, and does not regularly "work" inside TN, then it would appear on the face of it he has a valid permit and can carry in TN on that permit.

Now with that said, the OP should be aware that the vast majority of officer in TN will not know about this little 'loophole' in the law, and may in fact think you're breaking the law, not sure if I'd want to be the test case or not :) And while it will go against the OC nature of the forum in this specific case I'd probably CC just to avoid contact with police officers because of the high likelihood of arrest for doing something completely legal.

IANAL either, but atleast in my case I took the time to read and quote you the law in question :)

I'm visiting Chattanooga from Dallas & am older much older than 21. Have my Texas CHL but looks to me like I'd need a TN permit to OC.

Oh Shoot

I'm visiting Chattanooga from Dallas & am older much older than 21. Have my Texas CHL but looks to me like I'd need a TN permit to OC.

Nope, your Texas permit gives you same privileges as a TN one here.

Though it doesn't related to you, the <21 year old with an out of state permit has been a source of debate now and then, however there's nothing in the TCA that says it is unlawful. TN recognizes ALL other states' carry permits by statute, simple as that, with no exceptions mentioned for those from any other state -- even though you must be 21 to receive a TN HCP, nowhere is a restriction mentioned for that age for permit holders from other states, so don't see under what statute such a person could possibly be charged.

- OS

Last edited:

SgtScott31

Hi, I'm new in here, but was raised in Nashville. The police downtown just arrested a guy for OCing a rifle a few days ago. Granted, how he handled being stopped may have exacerbated it, but they ended up getting him for a suppressor. We have some young LEOs down there and quite a few who think they have something to prove. The old schoolers know better. Tread very carefully, they ain't used to OC here.

Link to story _http://www.wsmv.com/story/22963085/gun-advocate-arrested-for-carrying-weapon-on-downtown-street

I didn't make it a true hyperlink because I wasn't sure about the rules on that and I just can't read EVERYTHING...lol

Ang

There were veteran officers on that stop as well. Carrying a loaded rifle in TN is illegal period, so the LEOs had a right to check it. I don't see how their actions equated to "having to prove something."