• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry on Canoe Float Trip?

Boba Fett

I am going with some friends on a canoe float trip next Tuesday down the Niangua river near Lebanon. Will I be able to OC while floating?

BionicRooster

I made it a point to read the camp ground rules, and they say "No firing of firearms" but nothing against carrying. I was at Niangua as well, as that is where we go every year, and stay at Ho-Humm.
Now, as far as floating on the river, we took 2 coolers of beer, so I left my pistol locked in the glove box and can't answer as to the legality. But I do know you may OC around town, as nobody even batted an eye at me when I was walking around.

Superlite27

CC or OC as you choose, but I would highly recommend a lanyard.

I've CC'ed a titanium .38 spl. snubbie on the float trips I've been on, and retention was my primary concern. I carry my snubbie in the hip pocket of my shorts with about a 3 foot lanyard permanently attached to the grip and a carabiner through my belt. Not my belt loop.

I've never had it come out of my pocket, but if it ever did, it would be a dangly thing flopping around my ankles and not a cool new expensive rock for the fish to look at on the bottom of some riverbed.

As for OC, that means holster. Holster + water is usually a bad combo. Unless your talking kydex. Even then, I wouldn't rely on just the retention features of whatever model you're using. I'd still use a lanyard.

I simply chose CC for the ease of not screwing around with a holster which is just another thing to keep track of when you're floating. Plus, IMHO, having my gun in my pocket helps protect it a little more from scraping on rocks and being filled with sand when swimming or rolling around on sand bars.

Redbaron007

OCing is fine on the river, unless the river floats through a city or municipality that prohibits OC. There are some who argue if the property owner posts it, you can't OC while traversing through their property while on the river. I have seen real evidence/case law that supports that argument.

Boba Fett

Well I can take either my .38 snubbie or my Glock, but I'm not a big fan of holsterless pocket carry so I may OC my Glock in my Serpa. The lanyard probably isn't a bad idea.

Redbaron007

Well I can take either my .38 snubbie or my Glock, but I'm not a big fan of holsterless pocket carry so I may OC my Glock in my Serpa. The lanyard probably isn't a bad idea.

Let me know how the river is....we are planning to float in a week or so.

WalkingWolf

I don't know how far a glock can be broken down easily, so you might want to take a can of computer air to blow out the nooks and crannies. Factory ammo should be fine just drying it off, I have accidentally run ammo through the washer and it still fired.

BionicRooster

My friends and I go down to Niangua the same weekend every year, the weekend following the 4th of July's weekend. Been going every year for about the last 15 years, and try to keep up the tradition every year no matter what. Even if someone is broke, people cover for them.

Would be kind of cool to organize an OC camping trip sometime if you ask me.

mspgunner

Many have talked about a State wide OC event for years. This could be the best way to go:
Hopefully HB436 will be over turned in the veto session starting Sept. 11th.
Many have talked about having a State wide OC gathering. This just might be the time.

When Saturday, September 14, 2013. 12:00pm.
Whether the veto of HB436 is over turned or not we've always talked about a State wide open carry gathering.

Good food, friendly atmosphere, centrally located in Missouri.

This place is OC friendly and no CCW is required. Web page: http://www.riasjc.com/

If you truely want to meet the OCers from around the State of Misosuri this seems to be a good place to meet up.

It is a bit of adrive for people all over the State unless you live in Jefferson City or Columbia. Many are bucking up and making the drive. East meets West, North meets South....
If you are on other discussion forums, please post this....

Boba Fett

"our youth don't need exposure to weapons" is what I was told. I guess they don't want me as Associate Youth Pastor anymore. Some people are so shallow.

Last edited:

mspgunner

"our youth don't need exposure to weapons" is what I was told. I guess they don't want me as Associate Youth Pastor anymore. Some people are so shallow.

Better described as "safety with firearms". The Eddie Eagle program was approved by the legislature for schools. Read up on it, does not even use actual firearms. "STOP, GET AWAY, CALL AN ADULT".

Education is the answer to firearm accidents. Sticking your head in the sand is an accident waiting to happen....

Boba Fett

Better described as "safety with firearms". The Eddie Eagle program was approved by the legislature for schools. Read up on it, does not even use actual firearms. "STOP, GET AWAY, CALL AN ADULT".

Education is the answer to firearm accidents. Sticking your head in the sand is an accident waiting to happen....

Yeah, next he said we may do a hunting trip in the future (which I personally have no interested in gunning down animals. I enjoy eating them, but not killing them). Sure sounds like a double standard to me. I've helped teach the Eddie Eagle program before, it's pretty solid.