• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Misleading sign at Fair Oaks Hospital

keymo

Was taking one of the kids to an appt at a medical office building at the hospital today and noticed this interesting sign at the door...

It appears to reference some VA law on trespass. The code section was unfamiliar to me, but the Google seems to indicate this reference actually comes from TEXAS law! Am I missing something or what here?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1375191917.823445.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1375191917.823445.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 347

keymo

Good question Nightmare! According to their website they are based in Falls Church as a Virginia non-profit...but I am sure someone bigger owns them.

keymo

Forgot to mention...the sign only forbids concealed carry (citing invalid VA law), so open carry must be welcome!

The Wolfhound

Just there to scare off the ignorant...

It references "License To Carry", not Concealed Handgun Permit. Definitely not Virginia Law or Virginia compliant. Copied from Texas is indeed a good guess.

TFred

Yes, that is a Texas sign. Texas code section 30.06 provides the exact text and even letter size that is required for such a sign to legally prohibit firearms. Remember, Texas is NOT an open carry state, so there is NO open carry in Texas.

Web page offering "Texas legal" sign information. Also a list of "unfriendly" places.

This sort of thing infuriates me. What moron thinks Texas law has even the most remote application in Virginia? People have literally fought wars over that.

TFred

ETA: Not to beat up on that well-dead horse, but THIS is what makes Texas different from Virginia. In Texas, if they properly display this code-specified sign, it is actually against the law for you to carry on those premises. In Virginia, it is not the carrying that is against the law, but trespassing if you are asked to leave and you do not.

ETA(2): This is where I would contact the local Commonwealth's Attorney and inform them of this sign. Here's why: This private company is USING the force of LAW to impose their private policy on citizens. If I were a local CA this would PI** me off to no end. They are literally wielding the power of the CA to privately direct the actions of their customers. There should be a law against doing that.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yes, that is a Texas sign. Texas code section 30.06 provides the exact text and even letter size that is required for such a sign to legally prohibit firearms. Remember, Texas is NOT an open carry state, so there is NO open carry in Texas.

Web page offering "Texas legal" sign information. Also a list of "unfriendly" places.

This sort of thing infuriates me. What moron thinks Texas law has even the most remote application in Virginia? People have literally fought wars over that.

TFred

ETA: Not to beat up on that well-dead horse, but THIS is what makes Texas different from Virginia. In Texas, if they properly display this code-specified sign, it is actually against the law for you to carry on those premises. In Virginia, it is not the carrying that is against the law, but trespassing if you are asked to leave and you do not.

ETA(2): This is where I would contact the local Commonwealth's Attorney and inform them of this sign. Here's why: This private company is USING the force of LAW to impose their private policy on citizens. If I were a local CA this would PI** me off to no end. They are literally wielding the power of the CA to privately direct the actions of their customers. There should be a law against doing that.

I think Texas also allows you to shoot trespassers.
That would be a good thing!:D

Trespassers, dog hunters and other such low life criminals should be shot. We need a law to that effect.

2a4all

TFred

A couple of things, TFRED.

If you did contact the local CA, s/he would likely advise the facility that their sign doesn't carry the same weight here as it might in Texas, and that referencing TX law doesn't really tell VA residents anything useful. S/he might also advise them to put up a sign that simply says "Firearms carry prohibited". It's hard to be physically present in VA and simultaneously violate a TX law that requires physical presence there.

The parent of this facility (corporation) may be registered with the VA SCC as a foreign corporation and/or the subsidiary may show the particulars of the parent in their VA SCC filing.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Not only is it the Texas 30.06 law, the sign does not comply with the posting requirements of that law.

(B) a sign posted on the property that:
(i) includes the language described by
Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
(ii) appears in contrasting colors with
block letters at least one inch in height; and
(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner
clearly visible to the public.

Two out of three is not quite enough. Letters on clear glass are not contrasting colors. Transparency does not contrast with anything.

However, what this post really needs is Nelson Muntz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdCUpiI1MSA

stay safe.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
59543_575981559118598_667517591_n.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Was a postcard really necessary for this?

Now, they'll change it to a plain jane "no guns allowed" sign and we've lost the benefit of the humor of their silly Texas sign.

I would have just let sleeping dogs lie.

Porch dogs don't bother nobody ifn you don'ts kicks 'em :p

Glockster

Now, they'll change it to a plain jane "no guns allowed" sign and we've lost the benefit of the humor of their silly Texas sign.

I would have just let sleeping dogs lie.

I think that this was a missed opportunity. Imagine the local news showing up because several concerned citizens wanted to know why a local hospital was on its own applying Texas laws rather than Virginia laws in the hospital? What will that mean to Virginians? How does that impact the quality of healthcare, in a hospital that refuses to even know and apply Virginia law? And it would have been sweet when they rolled their news truck they encountered concerned citizens standing outside, pondering what other Texas laws might apply.

Could have made for a very interesting "nothing else on the news today" kind of story that would have made them look like id-ee-uts....who then will have to explain that they don't believe in constitutional rights either.

I'm only kinda kidding....

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm with ProShooter on this one. The fact that the sign obviously (well, obviously to everybody except the hospital and their security and legal staff) refers to a Texas statute creates just enough ambiguity to make the sign worth less than congealed spit regarding enforcability.

Based on personal experience I am here to tell you that being the one standing up in court waiting for a judge to say saying "Not Guilty" is not fun - but there are times when getting to that point is funnier than a barrel full of monkeys. This has great potential for being in that category.

Pointing out the deficits and deficiencies ahead of time changes the chances for amusement.

stay safe.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

I think so.. It just helps explain how stupid their sign is..

Signs also don't have the force of law.. I never read them.. even if they are on the front door. At a hosiptal I am more concerned with my ailment or my loved one.. that I don't read/look for signs.. and can articulate that as well.. heck.. this post of me SAYING so could be part of my defense.. They STILL would have to ask me to leave.

I have two friends that work there as well. They say that security either secures firearms or sends them home with whomever the owner designates.

No "minds" are going to be changed at a hospital (like we just did at a single owner Greene Turtle).. so sending the postcard does not matter.. except to me.

It's fun and amusing for me.. I have been sending them for years and KNOW that they get passed around, copied, looked at, saved, made fun of, etc. I even had a POSTAL employee call me and say "right on".. I can''t say who or where I am but was sorting the mail and had to let you know I loved your card!

Your opinion may vary.