• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

George Zimmerman’s heroic car crash rescue appears to be a fraud – Updated

Kopis

i still say Zimmerman should have shot the gas tank after he rescued everyone and carried the whole family off on his shoulders!

WalkingWolf

Zimmerman needs to stop doing things that puts his name back in the media. The man while innocent is not very bright.

WalkingWolf

doing things? he got stopped for a little speeding and released with a warning? how in the hell is that something you're trying to get in the media for?

Last time I checked it is very easy not to get stopped for speeding. While many people do it, they are not in the position that GZ is. It was stupid of him to speed. I have not been stopped for speeding in over 30 years, in fact the only time I have been stopped has been for routine DOT roadside inspections. I drive the speed limit, it is not a hard thing to do.

EMNofSeattle

Last time I checked it is very easy not to get stopped for speeding. While many people do it, they are not in the position that GZ is. It was stupid of him to speed. I have not been stopped for speeding in over 30 years, in fact the only time I have been stopped has been for routine DOT roadside inspections. I drive the speed limit, it is not a hard thing to do.

Well I m glad that you're the little road cherub who does no wrong....

That's not relevant here...

FreeInAZ

You are kidding right? Most Uhmerikan's have never seen a cruise control switch and think the turn signal stick is just there to hang cool beads and roach clips from.... :p Let alone have the focus to maintain a legal speed...just saying...SQUIRREL! ;)

Wish I was just kidding, but humor is often based in reallity. :(

WalkingWolf

You are kidding right? Most Uhmerikan's have never seen a cruise control switch and think the turn signal stick is just there to hang cool beads and roach clips from.... :p Let alone have the focus to maintain a legal speed...just saying...SQUIRREL! ;)

Wish I was just kidding, but humor is often based in reallity. :(

I can't even begin to count the number of times other drivers have given me the one finger salute for driving the limit. BUT when driving a truck weighing close to 80,000 pounds a few miles a hour can make a dramatic difference on fuel consumption. And it is one less reason for DOT to stop and delay you on your route. A half hour delay even without a ticket can cost you a couple hundred dollars. I don't drive commercial anymore, but then I am never in a hurry.

WalkingWolf

and many jurisdictions do not ticket speeding for 5 to 10 over the limit on the highway.....

and many people do speed, so that's not a special thing you're trying to grab attention for.

I don't care!

It is still illegal and a choice, nobody is forced to break the speed limit. In his circumstances it is STUPID.

EMNofSeattle

I don't care!

It is still illegal and a choice, nobody is forced to break the speed limit. In his circumstances it is STUPID.

wrong, it's a civil infraction not a crime......

my guess is you're probably the old guy who does 55 on a two lane highway and never yields to passing traffic.... or does 60 in the left hand lane......

in fact in some cases people who "obey" the speed limit are putting others in greater danger then if they bump up to the accepted 85th percentile speed.

Last edited:

eye95

It is still illegal. There is a law that prohibits driving over the speed limit. Doing so violates that law. And that is the definition of illegal.

Besides, does any of this hair-splitting address WW's point, or does it mask it?

On another point: Doesn't accepting the 85th %-ile theory mean you are accepting the 15% who drive over that limit? If they were somehow forced to drive at the 85th, that would then force the 85th down, and they'd be speeding again. The only thing the 85th would be good for is finding a good speed at which to set the limit--and that would only work on a road that does not yet have a limit.

Folks who speed should just admit that they do and be willing to accept the consequences for it. I set the cruise on the highway at five over. That is faster than some and slower than others. I don't feel that I am impeding others, yet I am not being reckless. It is generally, IMO, the safest speed at which to travel. I am willing to accept and pay any tickets I get, which, BTW, I have never gotten in almost forty years of driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

OC for ME

Rationalizing a unlawful act because everybody else is doing it. Typical entitlement mindset of the liberals and liberal-lite. The only reason I speed is because the speedometer reads 55 and the road construction radar gun says 56, but I ain't telling anyone this little tidbit.

georg jetson

my guess is you're probably the old guy who does 55 on a two lane highway and never yields to passing traffic.... or does 60 in the left hand lane......

in fact in some cases people who "obey" the speed limit are putting others in greater danger then if they bump up to the accepted 85th percentile speed.

If it is "civil", then it would be an unlawful stop. One can only be lawfully detained for suspicion of a CRIME.

sudden valley gunner

I used to have a heavy foot, after several harrassments by PD for OC, it became a habit to be within the tolerable limitations, Z was an idiot for realizing he wasn't on PD's radar.

and many jurisdictions do not ticket speeding for 5 to 10 over the limit on the highway.....

and many people do speed, so that's not a special thing you're trying to grab attention for.

At one time not sure if the law is still worded how it was before but you could get a ticket for going the speed limit if you were delaying 5 or more other motorist.

On the freeway I average around 4-6 over, I have noticed setting my cruise control on exactly the speed limit makes cops notice you. Dale Evans in his book Arrest Proof Yourself said something similar too.

Last edited:

wizzi01

You must have never been pulled over by a motor carrier officer.