• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Neighbor trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

casper

It dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghi t pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Yup[ to cool huh.:monkey

casper

Help, I've fallen of topic, and I can't get back.:lol: Maybe we shouldn't say safety Sally anymore, so we don't insult people named Sally. Maybe we shouldn't say, "for example" It's like ammo on "steroids" for fear of glamorizing illegal drug use. When will the madness stop ?

jeffrey-r

If I may present a counterpoint; this wasn't a spelling error, it was a total error. The poster might have thought rind stones was the correct term. Had the correction not been posted, that poster would keep right on going saying rind stones. Now he knows it's actually rhinestones.

If I posted something like "for all intensive purposes" I would hope someone would come along and say "Hey, you know it's actually 'for all intents and purposes' right?" Yay, I was just informed of something! Information is good! If no one posted a correction for me, I might make a total fool of myself the next time I'm in public, trying to act all smart, and say "intensive purposes."

[The plural of Nazi is Nazis. It's okay to put an 's' next to a vowel, one doesn't have to throw apostrophes everywhere.]

Last edited:

casper

If I may present a counterpoint; this wasn't a spelling error, it was a total error. The poster might have thought Rind stones was the correct term. Had the correction not been posted, that poster would keep right on going saying Rind stones. Now he knows it's actually rhinestones.

If I posted something like "for all intensive purposes" I would hope someone would come along and say "Hey, you know it's actually 'for all intents and purposes' right?" Yay, I was just informed of something! Information is good! If no one posted a correction for me, I might make a total fool of myself the next time I'm in public, trying to act all smart, and say "intensive purposes."

Actually, I did think it was "rind" sorry. I know better now thanks. But to my credit I have only ever had diamonds.:banana: Who would have thought one little word in a reply would get this much attention, and totally of topic to boot.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Actually, I did think it was "rind" sorry. I know better now thanks. But to my credit I have only ever had diamonds.:banana: Who would have thought one little word in a reply would get this much attention, and totally off topic to boot.
It wouldn't have - if you had simply said what you've just said above rather than responding with "Thanks spelling police. After all that's the point of this forum, right." and other insults later.

If you want to see where the thread drift started, look in the mirror.

casper

It wouldn't have - if you had simply said what you've just said above rather than responding with "Thanks spelling police. After all that's the point of this forum, right." and other insults later.

If you want to see where the thread drift started, look in the mirror.
Take it easy Pardner, It was all in fun. I meant no harm. It was supposed to be light hearted fun. By the way I did look in the mirror, and I'm getting old. Thanks for suggesting I do that.:p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
spell check is great, but
I have been fed up with the suggested corrections that sometimes didnt even come near what i was trying to spell.

Also it is quite possible to write a correctly spelled post using so many correctly spelled, but wrong words
that your thoughts have no meaning.

Also in it quiet possibly to right a corrected spelling past used to manly current spell, butt rung wards
than you're though's hive know meeting.

See what I just did there?

BTW, I have my spell check on, but, I couldnt spell disernable,
and dont know how to get recommended spelling options.

Some folks seem to know how to spell all the words,,,
they should be greatfull, if they know how to do something that makes money too!

Spelling NAZI's offten make the rest of us sad...
notice above,,,, often has too many "f"s, but did get the underline... whats up with that?

ETA: just looked in my chair side dictionary, discernable...
I was born in 52, learned to "sound it out", so Im still learning to spell words that dont work that way..

Every error shows up on my forum supplied spell check, including "discernable" which is spelled correctly ending with-ible as discernible and was the top suggested word.

When a word is not found in spell check, I look it up in an on-line dictionary and then add it to spell check - works for me.

Raggs

Every error shows up on my forum supplied spell check, including "discernable" which is spelled correctly ending with-ible as discernible and was the top suggested word.

When a word is not found in spell check, I look it up in an on-line dictionary and then add it to spell check - works for me.

How did this become a spelling thread? seems WAY off topic.

DocWalker

Careful. There are folks in the Minnesota forum who will call you names and accuse you of living in your mom's basement if you suggest #1, lol.

Also - we can put people on 'ignore'? Is there a remote control button?

My wife has a requirment that we can't live in the same state and must live at least 250 miles from my mother.

MI_XD

+1

Have long maintained we are what we appear to be to those observing us. Beauty or the lack of it is in the eye of the beholder.

Since this is in essence a public relations battle, it does not hurt to take the high road and put your best foot forward as it were.

Proper spelling, punctuation and paragraphs with well thoughtout replies sticking to the facts w/o personal slurs goes a looong way to painting a better image of us.

Is perfection required? Hardly, but not even attempting to keep your (hence our) image positively portayed is a shame. Offering excuses such as "I am what I am" or it is the message that counts ignores the fact that you do not control how the message is received.

On this forum if you right click and check "Check Spelling", misspelled words will be underlined in red with suggested correct substitutions. I do so on 99% of my posts. It is quick, easy and worth the small effort.

FIFY (running out the door!) :eek: :banana:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Raggs

How did this become a spelling thread? seems WAY off topic.

I know, right.
Please feel free to add to the original topic/subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.