• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry While Jeeping.

Archerman99

Hey guys, I'll be up in Colorado this weekend for a Jeeping trip. I'm driving in from Oklahoma on Friday and will be there until Monday.

I'll be staying in the Loveland area and will be hitting the trails on the northern front range.

I have been open carrying here in Oklahoma since it became law last November and I am currently the Secretary for The Oklahoma Open Carry Association. www.OKOCA.org
Anyway, I open carry everyday and am very comfortable doing so.

This will be my first time open carrying in another state, and I'm excited to do so.
Oklahoma is a shall issue state, so you have to have a permit to conceal or open carry, which i do have, one license allows you to do both here.

We will be spending all day Saturday and Sunday offroad, not 100% sure where yet. I know carry in national parks and Forrest's are legal know, and of course stay out of the buildings with my firearm, (and Denver of course) but is there anything else that you guys could advise that I need to know, either in the Loveland area or offroad. Places to avoid or to watch out for that are not friendly??

We have it really good here in Oklahoma, we have a very gun friendly state capital and gun friendly society in general. I have open carried everyday this year and not one negative comment or contact by LEO has happened.

Anyway, thanks for the info guys. If you get a chance, check out our page at OKOCA.org, or on Facebook, search "I support open carry in Oklahoma"

-Carry Often, Carry Open

mobiushky

Doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about. You know the places that are not allowed.

Main difference here is that there is no permit needed for OC. The only time you need a permit is if you choose to CC. CO recognizes your permit so you can CC here too. Only places to worry about are places that post no firearms. Signs have not force of law, but you don't want to be hit with trespassing.

CO is also a shall issue state. But we are not a "must inform" state. So you have no duty to inform an officer if you are armed. But you know, be nice. Honestly, you should be fine.

Remember in CO, your vehicle is treated like your house. You can OC, CC, whatever to your hearts content. It's your "home". Only thing is, you cannot carry a chambered round in a shotgun or a rifle. Handgun carry as you wish.

Archerman99

Thanks for the reply!

Gun buster signs are the same here, no weight of the law, but you can be trespassed.
Also, we are a must inform state, "at first opportunity" , so it's good to know I don't have to inform, but I'll be open carrying, so it will be obvious.

It really sucks you guys are having some of the issues you are there in Colorado. I was happy to see some of the votes recalled though, that's always a good start.
I do have a question that I've been to lazy to look up.
Is Denver a completely gun free zone (i.e. Chicago) or is it just no open carry and concealed with your state issued permission slip?

Thanks again
-Justin

mobiushky

Thanks for the reply!

Gun buster signs are the same here, no weight of the law, but you can be trespassed.
Also, we are a must inform state, "at first opportunity" , so it's good to know I don't have to inform, but I'll be open carrying, so it will be obvious.

It really sucks you guys are having some of the issues you are there in Colorado. I was happy to see some of the votes recalled though, that's always a good start.
I do have a question that I've been to lazy to look up.
Is Denver a completely gun free zone (i.e. Chicago) or is it just no open carry and concealed with your state issued permission slip?

Thanks again
-Justin

The recall isn't over yet. The election is set for Sept 10. But the slime who voted for the laws has a ton of cash coming in from nanny bloomberg and the effort to recall is pretty much just a bunch of voters. So they are being out spent by like 2 to 1. Until yesterday, no national group had really stepped in to help the recall effort. NAGR just started talking about it and lending a hand, but that's it. NRA has given token $, but not much more than reporting on the effort. We'll see.

As for Denver, it helps to understand what pre-emption means in CO. We have pre-emption, sort of. In relation to CC, totall 100% pre-emption. No locality can make any laws that bar CC in anyway. The CC laws are state wide. So Denver has no choice. You can CC with a permit in Denver and they cannot tell you what or how you carry. Now there are some laws that are Denver laws that might be sticky, but they only apply if you are from Denver and live in Denver. For instance, Denver has a 10 round limit on mags. But if you live out of Denver and are only there temporarily and don't plan to live there, the limit doesn't apply. So you can travel through Denver without bothering with the law. So I have a 15 rd mag in my gun. I can carry that 15 rd mag in my gun CC in Denver because I don't live there.

Archerman99

Well the Jeeping trip when great...had a blast.
I open carried there the whole time...and while I was in the mountains most of the time, we did run to Wal-Fart and a number of gas stations with out any issues.

Got some strange looks here and there, but nothing I wasn't already use to. Open carry is becoming a lot more common here so I don't notice the looks anymore.
Don't know if I was getting more looks than usual or if I was noticing them more because I wasn't on my own turf, but it did seem like I was getting a lot of lookie lous.

SteveInCO

Well the Jeeping trip when great...had a blast.
Don't know if I was getting more looks than usual or if I was noticing them more because I wasn't on my own turf, but it did seem like I was getting a lot of lookie lous.

Went to a gas station I frequent, OC for the first time there. If anyone noticed, they didn't react. (I still haven't done a walmart.)

SteveInCO

You ought to do a Walmart, if for no other reason than to convince yourself they really don't care, either.

Oh I am quite positive they don't, as I have seen two others OCing (one a pistol-packin' momma with two preschoolers in tow). I do however have a very specific personal reason (and no I am not going to go into that) not to do a certain walmart at the moment--the problem is I don't know for sure WHICH walmart it is yet. Once I do, the others are OC zones.

SteveInCO

Oh I am quite positive they don't, as I have seen two others OCing (one a pistol-packin' momma with two preschoolers in tow). I do however have a very specific personal reason (and no I am not going to go into that) not to do a certain walmart at the moment--the problem is I don't know for sure WHICH walmart it is yet. Once I do, the others are OC zones.

Now I know which one I should avoid OC in. (And this applies to me alone; others can OC with impunity.) One of the two I visit most often. Well perhaps my visitation rate there will decline.

ADDED... OCed in the "pistol packin' momma" walmart Monday 8/19 and no thunderbolt came out of the sky to smite me.

Last edited: