• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OFF TOPIC: .Serbu Super Shorty 12 Gauge .

Bill45

Has anyone heard of the .Serbu Super Shorty 12 Gauge ? I just saw one demostrated by Hickock45 on Youtube.

It is a Mossberg shotgun remanufactured with a pistol grip and a 6.5 inch barrel. Overall length is about 17 inches. It is classified as a AOW (Any Other Weapon) by the BATFE. Only requires a $5 transfer stamp. I have heard.

Is it legal to own in Washington?

Seems it would make a great home defense weapon.

Bill

arentol

It wouldn't be in my top 10 for home defense, probably not even top 20.

3 shots if one is already in the chamber? No thanks. It is too easy to miss in a defensive situation, 3 shots just isn't enough for me to be comfortable. I would much rather have an AR pistol with 20 or 30 shots. Same maneuverability, similar effectiveness per shot, but 10 times as many shots.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Mainsail

How are they with those Aguila mini-shells? Can you fit 4 of them in there?

I don't know the answer to this question however...

I tried the mini shells in my 590A1 and they had a tendency to roll over during feeding from the magazine so that the primer was facing forward.

Since the receiver on the Serbu is the same as the full size model (Maverick or 870) I have to think they'd do the same thing.

Last edited:

Bill45

3 shots if one is already in the chamber? No thanks. It is too easy to miss in a defensive situation, 3 shots just isn't enough for me to be comfortable. I would much rather have an AR pistol with 20 or 30 shots. Same maneuverability, similar effectiveness per shot, but 10 times as many shots.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

The problem with high power rifle ammo is it has a tendancy to penatrate walls and kill targets at great distance. Not what you need for home defense or any use in a urban environment.

But if it takes some people 20 or 30 shots to do the job, well a "Mans gotta do what a mans gotta do."

tombrewster421

The problem with high power rifle ammo is it has a tendancy to penatrate walls and kill targets at great distance. Not what you need for home defense or any use in a urban environment.

But if it takes some people 20 or 30 shots to do the job, well a "Mans gotta do what a mans gotta do."

Remember that an AR is not high powered but medium powered. At least in the most common .223 form. Also, if an AR is of no use in an urban environment then why do police and military use them there?

Personally I much prefer my full size home defense shotty that holds 7+1 over that novelty gun. A lot of flash out of a 6" barrel with not a lot of velocity or accuracy.

Bill45

Remember that an AR is not high powered but medium powered. At least in the most common .223 form. Also, if an AR is of no use in an urban environment then why do police and military use them there?

Personally I much prefer my full size home defense shotty that holds 7+1 over that novelty gun. A lot of flash out of a 6" barrel with not a lot of velocity or accuracy.

Oh, I agree that the usablility of a 6.5 in barreled shotgun is quite low, recovery after recoil,accuracy all make it a very short range weapon. I too will take my 11/87 police over this novelty. But it looks like a fun gun.

As for the .223 issue, the police have vastly better fire disipline (I hope) than the average spray and pray civilian. And the military don't mind wiping out the bad guy through 3 mud walls.
Tell the kid on the bicycle half a mile a way(or your own child 3 house walls away) who is crippled that the .223 is ONLY a medium power round.

Last edited:

gsx1138

Oh, I agree that the usablility of a 6.5 in barreled shotgun is quite low, recovery after recoil,accuracy all make it a very short range weapon. I too will take my 11/87 police over this novelty. But it looks like a fun gun.

As for the .223 issue, the police have vastly better fire disipline (I hope) than the average spray and pray civilian. And the military don't mind wiping out the bad guy through 3 mud walls.
Tell the kid on the bicycle half a mile a way(or your own child 3 house walls away) who is crippled that the .223 is ONLY a medium power round.

Having tried a recreation of the police qualification course don't get your hopes up. Even a poor shooter could pass it. The reason they use .223 is that the round is far less likely to penetrate a wall than even a pistol round. The .223 fragments easily. There's a youtube video where they shot different calibers through varying degrees of wall thickness and the .223 had the least amount of overpenetration. It's not going to go through a wall and go half a mile or even 20 feet. Especially if you use hollow points.

Mainsail

3 shots if one is already in the chamber? No thanks. It is too easy to miss in a defensive situation...

Can you please cite even ONE occurrence where a bad guy breaking into someone's house kept coming after the homeowner fired a round in their direction? Just regular folks like us; not a mob hit, drug dealer money laundering house, or something you saw on a movie.

gsx1138

Can you please cite even ONE occurrence where a bad guy breaking into someone's house kept coming after the homeowner fired a round in their direction? Just regular folks like us; not a mob hit, drug dealer money laundering house, or something you saw on a movie.

I was going to give you an example but I guess Bad Boys 2 doesn't count given the last part of your statement. ;)

Flopsweat

I don't know the answer to this question however...

I tried the mini shells in my 590A1 and they had a tendency to roll over during feeding from the magazine so that the primer was facing forward.

Since the receiver on the Serbu is the same as the full size model (Maverick or 870) I have to think they'd do the same thing.

Thanks!

Flopsweat

You were so nice to me with that previous post, and now I'm going to pull this. What's become of me?

This lady shot a burglar 5 times and threatened to shoot again before the guy finally left:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/georgia-mom-shoots-home-intruder-face-article-1.1234400

There are a lot more stories where it seems as though they must have stuck around for a bit, but it never specifically says that they didn't leave after the first shot from the homeowner. At least not the 8 of them that I read through before I got bored. Well, there are ones where the bad guy is shot multiple times, but that doesn't mean he didn't leave as soon as he figured out that he'd been shot. But the lady counts as one, right? ;)

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
It is not a pistol...

26 U.S.C. § 5845(E)
For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the term “Any Other Weapon” means:

Any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive;
A pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell;
Weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading; and
Any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire.
Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/importation-verification/firearms-verification-nfa-aow.html

Batousaii

Interesting... But...

I thought SBR/SBS is not legal in WA.
- So, is it NOT classed as an SBS since it only has a pistol grip??? AOW is legel in WA???
- Can other, slightly longer versions with say 4+1 be found?

- If this is legal, could a double bbl coach gun version be had? (I like old skooll stuff).

I think a small shogun would be a blast if one can own it ;)

Last edited: