Thread: Audio/Video Recording while OCing - Camera Positioning?

Audio/Video Recording while OCing - Camera Positioning?

For those of you who have audio/video cameras recording while open carrying . . . has anyone figured out a comfortable way to get the camera to cover the gun/holster itself (as opposed to just video recording events directly in front)?

I'd like to know if it is practical to do so in order to protect against a false accusation of touching/showing/drawing the firearm.

Forward-facing video is fine for recording most encounters except that it usually won't show the position of your arms, much less the firearm. Cameras are getting pretty small these days and I'm wondering if anyone has tried a pen or other miniature type of camera clipped to the hip next to the holster.

Suggestions welcomed!
    Last edited by OC4me; 08-01-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OC4me View Post
    For those of you who have audio/video cameras recording while open carrying . . . has anyone figured out a comfortable way to get the camera to cover the gun/holster itself (as opposed to just video recording events directly in front)?

I'd like to know if it is practical to do so in order to protect against a false accusation of touching/showing/drawing the firearm.

Forward-facing video is fine for recording most encounters except that it usually won't show the position of your arms, much less the firearm. Cameras are getting pretty small these days and I'm wondering if anyone has tried a pen or other miniature type of camera clipped to the hip next to the holster.

Suggestions welcomed!
    Herein lays the problem as I see it, recording what others do doesn't help prove what you have done or are doing, looking forward to seeing the replies .
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Occasionally bring your hands up in front of the camera... to show your hands are empty.

But the recording of other people can also show that you didn't bring out the gun because the recording would show a lack of an appropriate reaction. Especially if you record the lack of a reaction of other folks nearby. I always occasionally pan the entire area so the recording will show no one is panicking ..............

But even then nothing is perfect. Yet having a recording of the event is still better than no recording.

Oh... and save those recordings, ALL the recordings of EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY TIME you are OC'ing in public, for at least a couple of years.

Paranoid? Or prepared for a court appearance? You decide.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Occasionally bring your hands up in front of the camera... to show your hands are empty.

But the recording of other people can also show that you didn't bring out the gun because the recording would show a lack of an appropriate reaction. Especially if you record the lack of a reaction of other folks nearby. I always occasionally pan the entire area so the recording will show no one is panicking ..............

But even then nothing is perfect. Yet having a recording of the event is still better than no recording.

Oh... and save those recordings, ALL the recordings of EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY TIME you are OC'ing in public, for at least a couple of years.

Paranoid? Or prepared for a court appearance? You decide.
    Just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    Herein lays the problem as I see it, recording what others do doesn't help prove what you have done or are doing, looking forward to seeing the replies .
    Bingo!

I was wondering though if anybody has actually attempted to train a camera on their holster, albeit at very close range from a camera mounted on the belt or other location.

Campaign Veteran
    http://amzn.com/B0037P5CAI

I have one of these. I usually clip it to my breast pocket if I'm wearing it (most of the time it's on my visor in my car).

The belt clip has a hinge. With some play I can get it to angle forward facing with the holster in view.

If they keep improving things like these:

http://www.amazon.com/CoiTAC-Pistol-.../dp/B0073YGHG2

It won't be long till you could have your sidearm POV recorded the entire time you are out & about...
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    http://amzn.com/B0037P5CAI

I have one of these. I usually clip it to my breast pocket if I'm wearing it (most of the time it's on my visor in my car).

The belt clip has a hinge. With some play I can get it to angle forward facing with the holster in view.
    I have one similar to this and the battery life when recording (like most other mobile video recorders) is terrible so I don't bother with it anymore. I turn on my audio recorder when I walk out the door and can leave it run for hours on end. I haven't needed a recording in 3+ years of OCing so I admit I don't save em all like BN suggests but it doesn't stop me from carrying it every time I leave the house.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Campaign Veteran
    Yeah, thirty minutes isn't long. I have one of thse http://amzn.com/B000GBN42E in my pocket for extended use. Not sure what is out there these days, as they don't make this particular one anymore.