• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Audio/Video Recording while OCing - Camera Positioning?

OC4me

For those of you who have audio/video cameras recording while open carrying . . . has anyone figured out a comfortable way to get the camera to cover the gun/holster itself (as opposed to just video recording events directly in front)?

I'd like to know if it is practical to do so in order to protect against a false accusation of touching/showing/drawing the firearm.

Forward-facing video is fine for recording most encounters except that it usually won't show the position of your arms, much less the firearm. Cameras are getting pretty small these days and I'm wondering if anyone has tried a pen or other miniature type of camera clipped to the hip next to the holster.

Suggestions welcomed!

Last edited:

Raggs

For those of you who have audio/video cameras recording while open carrying . . . has anyone figured out a comfortable way to get the camera to cover the gun/holster itself (as opposed to just video recording events directly in front)?

I'd like to know if it is practical to do so in order to protect against a false accusation of touching/showing/drawing the firearm.

Forward-facing video is fine for recording most encounters except that it usually won't show the position of your arms, much less the firearm. Cameras are getting pretty small these days and I'm wondering if anyone has tried a pen or other miniature type of camera clipped to the hip next to the holster.

Suggestions welcomed!

Herein lays the problem as I see it, recording what others do doesn't help prove what you have done or are doing, looking forward to seeing the replies .

B

Bikenut

Occasionally bring your hands up in front of the camera... to show your hands are empty.

But the recording of other people can also show that you didn't bring out the gun because the recording would show a lack of an appropriate reaction. Especially if you record the lack of a reaction of other folks nearby. I always occasionally pan the entire area so the recording will show no one is panicking ..............

But even then nothing is perfect. Yet having a recording of the event is still better than no recording.

Oh... and save those recordings, ALL the recordings of EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY TIME you are OC'ing in public, for at least a couple of years.

Paranoid? Or prepared for a court appearance? You decide.

Raggs

Occasionally bring your hands up in front of the camera... to show your hands are empty.

But the recording of other people can also show that you didn't bring out the gun because the recording would show a lack of an appropriate reaction. Especially if you record the lack of a reaction of other folks nearby. I always occasionally pan the entire area so the recording will show no one is panicking ..............

But even then nothing is perfect. Yet having a recording of the event is still better than no recording.

Oh... and save those recordings, ALL the recordings of EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY TIME you are OC'ing in public, for at least a couple of years.

Paranoid? Or prepared for a court appearance? You decide.

Just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

OC4me

Herein lays the problem as I see it, recording what others do doesn't help prove what you have done or are doing, looking forward to seeing the replies .

Bingo!

I was wondering though if anybody has actually attempted to train a camera on their holster, albeit at very close range from a camera mounted on the belt or other location.

fozzy71

http://amzn.com/B0037P5CAI

I have one of these. I usually clip it to my breast pocket if I'm wearing it (most of the time it's on my visor in my car).

The belt clip has a hinge. With some play I can get it to angle forward facing with the holster in view.

I have one similar to this and the battery life when recording (like most other mobile video recorders) is terrible so I don't bother with it anymore. I turn on my audio recorder when I walk out the door and can leave it run for hours on end. I haven't needed a recording in 3+ years of OCing so I admit I don't save em all like BN suggests but it doesn't stop me from carrying it every time I leave the house.