• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This ruling in AZ? In AZ? yea, cops can take your guns anytime they want

Fallschirjmäger

As soon as that happens, I'm being detained as my personal effects have been seized according to the Fourth Amendment. My 'consensual encounter' with Officer Friendly is now at an end and I'll demand my effects and be on my way. If they're not releases then it's Definitely a detention.

stealthyeliminator

Interesting that it's for "officer safety" and not "public safety" when in fact the only reason the police officer should be contacting the individual at all is for the sake of public safety. Maybe if they didn't go around abusing their power the threat to them would be no more than the threat to the public and an encounter with a man with a gun could be "safely" surpassed altogether. Can't do that and further the politicians agenda, though. Better stick with the abuses of power and just make further abuses to counteract the increased threat level.

georg jetson

As soon as that happens, I'm being detained as my personal effects have been seized according to the Fourth Amendment. My 'consensual encounter' with Officer Friendly is now at an end and I'll demand my effects and be on my way. If they're not releases then it's Definitely a detention.

Exactly. Which is why the description of this ruling makes no sense.

-Sir, can we ask you a few questions?

-Sure. How can I help you officer?

-First, I need to disarm you so that we can proceed.

-Am I free to go?

How would the officers proceed with a consensual encounter if the disarming is not consensual? It's a ridiculous concept.

PALO

Would'a sure been nice if the report had linked to the AZ law in question, the person involved in the case or even the case number, right?

Yea, I prefer source documents etc. vs. a media interpretation of same. The media gets it wrong SO often

Maverick9

Doubt that ruling has anything in it about giving the firearm or other possessions back. I would not want to be carrying an expensive 1911 and be stopped thus.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well, what's next?

Cops come to your door and you answer it politely. They come in and take all your guns for their safety.

Oh, since they have them, they'll just take them back to the station with them to check for fingerprints of felons, chk serial #s, have time to run BR checks on the people etc .. for their safety of course.

Here's a tip to remain safe - don't approach people willy-nilly.

Fallschirjmäger

It would appear that the court was more than willing to bend over backwards to get the result it wanted (a felon in possession of a firearm) that it would pervert both the letter and intention of the Constitution.

PALO

Exactly. Which is why the description of this ruling makes no sense.

-Sir, can we ask you a few questions?

-Sure. How can I help you officer?

-First, I need to disarm you so that we can proceed.

-Am I free to go?

How would the officers proceed with a consensual encounter if the disarming is not consensual? It's a ridiculous concept.

It is. My state courts have ruled that merely holding on to somebody's ID can turn a social contact (consensual encounter) into a seizure, let alone a gun! (FWIW, LEO's are also prohibited in requesting ID from a passenger during a traffic stop unless the passenger committed an offense (Seatbelt, etc.) or they have RAS). I love my state's case law and privacy protecgtions.

On a social contact, it is ok to briefly hold the id to copy the info on to a notepad, but it must be imeediately returned if not wishing to cause a constructive seizure.

There seems to be some twisted "logic" afoot

WalkingWolf

"A man appealing a firearms misconduct conviction argued that Phoenix police wrongfully took his gun after he agreed to talk with officers on a street in a high-crime area."

Don't talk to the police!

It has been long understood that police can take guns for officer safety in an encounter, though I don't agree with it. If there is no RAS, and not detained, LEAVE!

Nothing new here.

PALO

"A man appealing a firearms misconduct conviction argued that Phoenix police wrongfully took his gun after he agreed to talk with officers on a street in a high-crime area."

It has been long understood that police can take guns for officer safety in an encounter, though I don't agree with it. If there is no RAS, and not detained, LEAVE!

Nothing new here.

I disagree with the don't talk to them thing, but granted in my state, they CANNOT take your gun if you are lawfully carrying it "just because". I deal with people CCWing all the time, and the only time I take their gun is when I am arresting them, or some other extenuating circ's.

sudden valley gunner

Nothing new here.

+1

sudden valley gunner

I disagree with the don't talk to them thing, but granted in my state, they CANNOT take your gun if you are lawfully carrying it "just because". I deal with people CCWing all the time, and the only time I take their gun is when I am arresting them, or some other extenuating circ's.
j

Of course after you found something to grasp onto from your fishing expedition. :p

georg jetson

I agree with the "don't talk to them" thing. Thanks to the courts its our only option. Please don't think it rude when georg jetson asks "Am I free to go?". It's not because I'm rude... it's just that... I can't trust you. Thank the courts.

Last edited:

PALO

I agree with the "don't talk to them" thing. Thanks to the courts its our only option. Please don't think it rude when georg jetson asks "Am I free to go?". It's not because I'm rude... it's just that... I can't trust you. Thank the courts.

I completely respect your opinion. I just disagree with it. I had ample experience dealing with the cops in college because I played in a loud band (UCSB and we played a lot of parties in Isla Vista) and naturally the cops had to come in response to complaints and shut us down sometimes.

We developed a very good working relationship with the IV foot patrol. We were kind and respectful and we got that in return. I don't believe that police are to be avoided or feared. That's my opinion.

I realize many people here think differently vis a vis the police. That's no skin off my back. I ENCOURAGE people to know where they stand iow ask questions like "am I free to go". I have no problem with people when they ask me that. If it's a terry or traffic stop, I tell them they are not free to go and that I will let them know when they are.

Nobody should ever feel hesitant to ask a cop "am I free to leave"?

fwiw, I've also been arrested (unpaid traffic ticket) and proned out at gunpoint (terry stop for armed robbery. I wasn't the guy but I matched the description).

Cops were totally cool to me in both incidents, professional, fair and respectful. As they should be.

Any cop who gets offended because somebody asks "am I free to leave" needs to consider another career choice

cheers

davidmcbeth

Banned

Its to the point now that I do not even wish to aid the police in solving crimes that I am just a witness. I don't trust them anymore.