Thread: NRA vs VCDL

NRA vs VCDL

I was wondering if anyone had any input on whether or not I should join the NRA, in addition to already being a member of VCDL.

I am open for frank discussion, but would like to remind everyone of the following:

(12) NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS: Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.

Just to clarify, I am not trying to start a flame war, I just want honest opinions that can be supported with factual evidence.

Thanks,
    Eddy
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

Banned
    unfortunately, you requested no opinions BUT the query itself reaches out for just that.

if you wish to join the NRA please do so

I am not a member myself ...

Why did you join VCDL? Was it bewcause they address some/many issues that NRA does not address?

Now reverse the question - does NRA address some/many issues that VCDL does not address?

Then ask yourself if any of the other national-focus organizations addresses more of those issues that VCDL does not, or does a better job than NRA does in addressing them.

Go forth, grasshopper.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Good question and one you have to answer yourself.

The NRA is useless in Virginia but is a force on the national level. They do some game playing that is objectionable but do have a positive impact at times.

VCDL is currently the most effective lobby in Va. They do focus on CC too much but I see hints at change once in a while and they do have a positive impact usually.

Ever consider GOA?

Unless money is really tight or one group or the other has stepped over the line, join both or all three.

I did get an email from Mad Mike asking me to join his group. I may after he passes the two member point
    Last edited by peter nap; 08-02-2013 at 06:18 AM.

I'm an executive member in VCDL and a lifetime member of NRA; I don't like some of the things the NRA does, NRA-ILA in particular, and I actively oppose most of their state-level legislative goals. But it's the only game in town on the federal level, and every incremental show of numbers counts in that game. And you get a magazine every month!
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

By joining the NRA I don't think you will hurt the 2A cause. However, by joining you are at least adding to the number of members and I think you will, in fact, help. I renew my membership at guns shows which costs me $25 and gets me in to the show for free. So, it is really a small donation to a good cause. Also, I have the NRA stickers on my vehicles (as well as my VCDL stickers, by the way) and I like seeing them on others' vehicles because it lets me know there are many others who share similar values/freedoms. And the magazine, American Rifleman, that I get every month is really very good. So, I say go for it.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    I also am a Life member of the NRA and a VCDL member. The small costs involved are offset by the advantages of membership.

All good comments especially Peter

VCDL has the most impact on Virginia issues. NRA gives you some voice on national issues. Belonging to both makes sense. Does either organization get it perfect? Oh, HELL NO! In my never to be humble opinion, the good they do strongly outweighs the bad. Membership allows you some miniscule say in the direction each organization is going. We can better affect them from the inside.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

VCDL Member, and Life Member of the NRA.

I don't think that the NRA is as aggressive on fighting for our rights as the VCDL, and would like to see them take a more aggressive stance.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Walt_Kowalski View Post
    VCDL Member, and Life Member of the NRA.

I don't think that the NRA is as aggressive on fighting for our rights as the VCDL, and would like to see them take a more aggressive stance.
    Thank you everyone for the info.
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

You should consider NAGR (National Association of Gun Rights) as well. They don't mess around like the NRA does.

The NRA is the lobby group for the concealed carry training industry. Nothing more.

Ask yourself whether that is a cause worth your hard-earned dollars. For me, it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    The NRA is the lobby group for the concealed carry training industry. Nothing more.

Ask yourself whether that is a cause worth your hard-earned dollars. For me, it is not.
    +1
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    I have discounted NRA memberships available for anyone interested.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Consider the 2nd Amendment Foundation also. They are not a lobbying outfit, instead they sue the anti-gun bastards.

http://www.saf.org/
    Last edited by BillB; 08-02-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Well....

"Just to clarify, I am not trying to start a flame war..."

How about a Celebrity Deathmatch?

http://www.mtv.com/shows/celebrity_d...h/series.jhtml

Philip "Mr. VCDL" Van Cleave vs. Wayne "I fly first class on your dues money" LaPierre!

I'm a member of both...,

I like the NRA the least, in fact, there have been times when I contemplated letting my membership in the "Next Right Abridged" club lapse, but I need it to be a member of the range I belong to. For all of my disdain for NRA, I must admit that as ProShooter has pointed out in other threads, they have helped in a number of ways, even if at times it seemed like they were actually working with the "Dark Side". I know that they helped my range get started, they have the Eddie Eagle program, and make grants available for youth firearms training, among other things. I haven't seen anything to beat VCDL, though.

Thanks for this thread though, it reminded me that I need to join GOA, and Second Amendment Foundation. Excuse me while I go join.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Quote Originally Posted by Defrock View Post
    You should consider NAGR (National Association of Gun Rights) as well. They don't mess around like the NRA does.
    NAGR is considered by many to be a scam group, which does nothing more than ask for money. Google up some threads on them, you'll find mostly negative remards with the only positive ones from posters with single digit post counts who never posted in any other thread. Perhaps not true, but the reviews are definitely not in their favor.

I belong to VCDL, NRA (Benefactor) and GOA. I think that covers the bases well and helps with a unified message rather than spreading things too thin.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    I'm an executive member in VCDL and a lifetime member of NRA; I don't like some of the things the NRA does, NRA-ILA in particular, and I actively oppose most of their state-level legislative goals. But it's the only game in town on the federal level, and every incremental show of numbers counts in that game. And you get a magazine every month!
    The best game in town for federal firearms rights is GOA.

NRA has lots of fluff, but GOA has better civil rights lawyers.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776