• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA vs VCDL

Esanders2008

I was wondering if anyone had any input on whether or not I should join the NRA, in addition to already being a member of VCDL.

I am open for frank discussion, but would like to remind everyone of the following:

(12) NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS: Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.

Just to clarify, I am not trying to start a flame war, I just want honest opinions that can be supported with factual evidence.

Thanks,
Eddy

davidmcbeth

Banned
unfortunately, you requested no opinions BUT the query itself reaches out for just that.

if you wish to join the NRA please do so

I am not a member myself ...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Why did you join VCDL? Was it bewcause they address some/many issues that NRA does not address?

Now reverse the question - does NRA address some/many issues that VCDL does not address?

Then ask yourself if any of the other national-focus organizations addresses more of those issues that VCDL does not, or does a better job than NRA does in addressing them.

Go forth, grasshopper.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Good question and one you have to answer yourself.

The NRA is useless in Virginia but is a force on the national level. They do some game playing that is objectionable but do have a positive impact at times.

VCDL is currently the most effective lobby in Va. They do focus on CC too much but I see hints at change once in a while and they do have a positive impact usually.

Ever consider GOA?

Unless money is really tight or one group or the other has stepped over the line, join both or all three.

I did get an email from Mad Mike asking me to join his group. I may after he passes the two member point:lol:

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
I'm an executive member in VCDL and a lifetime member of NRA; I don't like some of the things the NRA does, NRA-ILA in particular, and I actively oppose most of their state-level legislative goals. But it's the only game in town on the federal level, and every incremental show of numbers counts in that game. And you get a magazine every month!

Arma1911

By joining the NRA I don't think you will hurt the 2A cause. However, by joining you are at least adding to the number of members and I think you will, in fact, help. I renew my membership at guns shows which costs me $25 and gets me in to the show for free. So, it is really a small donation to a good cause. Also, I have the NRA stickers on my vehicles (as well as my VCDL stickers, by the way) and I like seeing them on others' vehicles because it lets me know there are many others who share similar values/freedoms. And the magazine, American Rifleman, that I get every month is really very good. So, I say go for it.

The Wolfhound

All good comments especially Peter

VCDL has the most impact on Virginia issues. NRA gives you some voice on national issues. Belonging to both makes sense. Does either organization get it perfect? Oh, HELL NO! In my never to be humble opinion, the good they do strongly outweighs the bad. Membership allows you some miniscule say in the direction each organization is going. We can better affect them from the inside.

Walt_Kowalski

VCDL Member, and Life Member of the NRA.

I don't think that the NRA is as aggressive on fighting for our rights as the VCDL, and would like to see them take a more aggressive stance.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The NRA is the lobby group for the concealed carry training industry. Nothing more.

Ask yourself whether that is a cause worth your hard-earned dollars. For me, it is not.

BillB

Consider the 2nd Amendment Foundation also. They are not a lobbying outfit, instead they sue the anti-gun bastards.

http://www.saf.org/

Last edited:

sidestreet

I'm a member of both...,

I like the NRA the least, in fact, there have been times when I contemplated letting my membership in the "Next Right Abridged" club lapse, but I need it to be a member of the range I belong to. For all of my disdain for NRA, I must admit that as ProShooter has pointed out in other threads, they have helped in a number of ways, even if at times it seemed like they were actually working with the "Dark Side". I know that they helped my range get started, they have the Eddie Eagle program, and make grants available for youth firearms training, among other things. I haven't seen anything to beat VCDL, though.

Thanks for this thread though, it reminded me that I need to join GOA, and Second Amendment Foundation. Excuse me while I go join.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

zoom6zoom

You should consider NAGR (National Association of Gun Rights) as well. They don't mess around like the NRA does. :)
NAGR is considered by many to be a scam group, which does nothing more than ask for money. Google up some threads on them, you'll find mostly negative remards with the only positive ones from posters with single digit post counts who never posted in any other thread. Perhaps not true, but the reviews are definitely not in their favor.

I belong to VCDL, NRA (Benefactor) and GOA. I think that covers the bases well and helps with a unified message rather than spreading things too thin.

Thundar

I'm an executive member in VCDL and a lifetime member of NRA; I don't like some of the things the NRA does, NRA-ILA in particular, and I actively oppose most of their state-level legislative goals. But it's the only game in town on the federal level, and every incremental show of numbers counts in that game. And you get a magazine every month!

The best game in town for federal firearms rights is GOA.

NRA has lots of fluff, but GOA has better civil rights lawyers.