• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Advertizement idea for OCDO, tell me what you think

OCbaldguy

I recently read a bulletin from a friend on FB soliciting advertizements (business mind you, not sure if they would accept political) for her sons high school football team. The solicitation reads as follows:

The Peninsula High School Football Team is in the process of once again preparing our Program Book for the upcoming season and we are soliciting your help. We are requesting that you please help support the PHS Seahawks by placing an advertisement in this year’s football program that is sold throughout the season. All proceeds benefit the Peninsula High School football team.This is an excellent opportunity for your business to reach a large number of prospective customers, as well as to support one of your local community sport teams. In addition, we ask our parents and students to patronize our advertisers whenever possible to show that we support you as well.
We are looking forward to a new season and anticipating a great year. We have large crowds at Roy Anderson Field; therefore, great exposure for the ads placed in our program book. To our returning sponsors, we thank you for your loyalty and continued support. To our new sponsors, please consider placing your ad in our football program and help support the PHS Seahawks football team.
Thank you for your support!

Now, i have not ask the person that posted it, anything about the type of ads they will take, but i thought i would throw this out to the leaders of this board to give an idea that just kind of jumped out at me. Something subtle like "Know your rights! www.opencarry.org" with an image or something.

If you think it's the wrong venue, forgive me. Just thought i'd run it past the decision makers.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OCDO - opencarry.org - is a forum not a retail business or even a grassroots organization with a paying membership.

As such, I would be extremely surprised if the owners of the site had any interest in placing any type of ad in a local publication.

What you might do is to check with any state specific RKBA group.

I do caution people about using the name of a private property (OCDO) in solicitations w/o the specific authorization of John and/or Mike.

OCbaldguy

I understand it's a forum, but they do event all the time to raise awareness about peoples rights.

Also, i never intended to list it myself without any permissions. I just presented it as an idea to expand the audience basically.

Not trying to offend anyone, just thought it was a decent idea, that's all.

massivedesign

I understand it's a forum, but they do event all the time to raise awareness about peoples rights.

"They" don't. Members who are a part of the forum use their own funds to create signage and brochures (all that have to be approved by the actual owners), then spend their own time volunteering to get the word out. The forum owners don't put out a cent.

sudden valley gunner

Also, i never intended to list it myself without any permissions. I just presented it as an idea to expand the audience basically.

For some of the stuff we do in Bellingham, we simply PM Mike or John and ask if they are OK with it, they have been OK with everything we have done.

We don't represent OCDO only they do.

Advertise to your hearts content about our right to OC, just don't bring John and Mike's site into it without permission.

Carry on and live free.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

No offense was taken.

To my knowledge OCDO has never sponsored an "event" anywhere, ever. Members (actually users) here have promoted and participated in OC breakfasts, dinners, picnics, road clean-ups, range days, etc. Routinely this is done under the auspices of a state org like VCDL - even if VCDL is not an official sponsor of the event, the participants are members and the literature passed out is from VCDL.

Even when Mike & John speak publicly or lobby at the General Assembly they do so most frequently as Executive Members of VCDL who also happen to own/administer a public RKBA forum. OCDO is a pipeline, bulletin board, newspaper with many authors/editors - it is many things, but it is not a formal organization - there is no OCDO PAC, no committees, no board, no president.

Now within the OC community in Richmond, Va. we do have a "club" = the Ol' Pharts Club. Membership is not determined by age, but by birth, by invitation or by note from spouse/mommy. Normally those are the people who are most actively involved in promoting OC & RKBA like Peter Nap, Skidmark, VaTazDad, Sidestreet and a host of others - they are the movers and shakers, the go to guys........they are all w/o exception members of VCDL.

Note that VCDL does not promote one form of carry over another - Ol' Pharts do promote OC both by example + by word and deed.

Last edited: