• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vermont Open Carrier Illegally Handcuffed, Detained by Police

MattinWA

Unfortunately courts have ruled that officer safety trumps personal and constitutional rights for the minimal time you are detained and unarmed.

Baked on Grease

Unfortunately courts have ruled that officer safety trumps personal and constitutional rights for the minimal time you are detained and unarmed.

Ah, but in order to be legally detained they must have RAS/PC of a crime. Without such, the cops have no authority to disarm you.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

MattinWA

While I agree with you 100%, theoretical rights and laws and what actually happens in the real world are seldom aligned on this topic. The individual from the OPs story can and should file lawsuits, however I predict the statement from the pd will go something like this:

After reviewing all the evidence, the department of internal affairs has found that the officer's actions were fully within department policies.

Good luck getting most DAs to try and fight the good ol boys club.

Suckerspawn

While I agree with you 100%, theoretical rights and laws and what actually happens in the real world are seldom aligned on this topic. The individual from the OPs story can and should file lawsuits, however I predict the statement from the pd will go something like this:

After reviewing all the evidence, the department of internal affairs has found that the officer's actions were fully within department policies.

Good luck getting most DAs to try and fight the good ol boys club.

Fortunately, Internal Affairs and the District Attorney will not have the final word here.

MattinWA

Again I agree with you all 100% but I do not believe any civil or criminal lawsuits will turn out in this law abiding citizens favor...

Unfortunate....

MattinWA

Understood its a separate state, but it is a glance at the culture of politician's agenda in America. Hopefully a ruling like this is not the end result, I wish you all well in your search for justice and right and wrong In This instance.

xmanhockey7

What evidence did the police have to think he was illegally carrying? No permit is requires whatsoever in the state of Vermont to carry openly or concealed. The fact they detained him was unlawful on the police's part. While I doubt there will be charges against the police I'm sure the man will have a good case to get some $$$ out of them.

Difdi

New Mexico Supreme Court Rules "Officer Safety" Supercedes Rights
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-595626.html

I wonder, would the reverse be true? Say you have doubts about whether a given individual is a real police officer or an impersonator...could you seize his sidearm for Citizen Safety purposes while you call dispatch and get a detailed description of what the bearer of his badge number is supposed to look like?

Generally speaking, police rights to use force are based on the same self-defense laws and legal doctrines that apply to citizens. The main difference is that police don't automatically disqualify their actions from being self-defense by being the aggressor.