• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colonial Shooting Academy now has banned all outside instructors from using the range

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
We have received word from the Colonial Shooting Academy that as of August 1st, they will no longer allow "outside instructors" to utilize their range facilities to provide formal training to students.

We are dismayed by this decision and will make alternate arrangements to continue providing our students with the best firearms training in Metro Richmond.

Just thought you'd all like to know....

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
We have received word from the Colonial Shooting Academy that as of August 1st, they will no longer allow "outside instructors" to utilize their range facilities to provide formal training to students.

We are dismayed by this decision and will make alternate arrangements to continue providing our students with the best firearms training in Metro Richmond.

Thanks Jim!
Another black mark for the used boat salesman:lol:

One of these days they'll run out of spruce yuppies to shoot their new guns and go broke. I'll dance on their bankruptcy papers.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Aside from the opinion that training is not required (as even people with licenses may wish to take the course) , why not just shoot with just primers in the cartridges (for those "students" who have no objection ~ likely all)?

Or, use simunition? Then you would have a harmless projectile and do it almost anywhere with a plywood backstop.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

They have more negatives than an insurance actuary.

Reminds me of Animal Farm - our instructors are more equal than yours.

They will lose a lot of exposure (future customers?) through that decision......oh well, they're already off my list.

scouser

leave the penguin suit at home, dress in jeans and tshirts, and provide informal training.

You must be really hurting their profit margin Jim. Don't they even realize that newcomers you train there are likely to continue visiting? :banghead: :banghead:

ProShooter

You must be really hurting their profit margin Jim.

I think we may be.

Don't they even realize that newcomers you train there are likely to continue visiting? :banghead: :banghead:

Yes, I tried to explain that (among other things) to their GM today. He was neither interested, nor amused.

The headbanging picture is quite appropriate here....

For a few weeks now, when I've gone over there to train someone, either other shooters or, are ya ready? - their own Range Safety Officers - ask me for business cards. Its somewhat distracting to my students, and I don't like handing cards out on the line out of respect for their business. Now, many of you know my vehicle and the company signage that is all over it. We have ALWAYS had a business card dispenser on the back of the truck, but sometimes the cards get wet in the rain. I started sticking a few cards (2-3) in the window so that people could take them on their own without interrupting my training. I've noticed a few times that all of the cards were gone when I got back to my truck. Well, some of their employees have apparently been taking my cards and trashing them. I was even accused of putting my cards under the windshield wipers of other cars in the parking lot (never happened).

Here's the best one yet - they accused me of purposely parking close to the door so that people would see my truck. Now, let me ask you guys. You pull into a place and there's a parking space somewhere near the entrance; do you

A) Take the parking space closest to the door?
B) Drive to the farthest reaches of the parking lot and take a space in no man's land?

I chose option A (which sometimes was 8 spaces down the row) - CSA had a problem with that.

Now, I'm also a member of a shooting group that meets at the range once in a while. Some of the group's members have taken a number of classes with us. One night, the group had a range evening planned. I didn't have anything else going on, so I offered to "work" the firing line for free and offer some free training and tips to the group - CSA had a problem with that.

A woman's shooting group asked me to come to CSA to be a guest speaker at their monthly meeting. My appearance got cancelled because....CSA had a problem with that.

CSA sent their director of training to Utah to get certified to teach the Utah class. 2 months later, he quit and took his certification with him. I sent CSA an email offering my help until they got someone else to teach it - CSA never responded to my email.

No less than 3 CSA employees have asked me for a job with my company. One of them even handed me his instructor business card which he apparently gives to range users to take his training classes outside of CSA.

When we started using the range, I gave them a copy of our liability insurance. Last week, they asked for it again. Apparently, they "lost it". I'm sure they were testing me to see if we had insurance.

Sounds like there's trouble in paradise. Too bad they're looking to blame the wrong people for their troubles.

Riana

<snipped examples of 'offending' behavior (how dare you be helpful and reasonable!)>

Sounds like there's trouble in paradise. Too bad they're looking to blame the wrong people for their troubles.

Wow - it certainly looks like someone has their knickers in a twist! I'm lucky, I guess, that the range where I take my students doesn't have a problem with me teaching there.

va_tazdad

Is that the new "largest shooting range in the country"?

The one that has the former VSP clown as a Board member?

Yeah, the one that I have never used, nor ever will as long as they are anti OC.

I can think of about a million other places to spend my money than with those idiots.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Henrico PD, actually. Not VSP, but yeah same place.

Don't forget the used boat salesman that owns the building.
He reminds me a lot of ?????????????!

mate.jpg

sidestreet

As if I needed another reason not to go there...,

now they've banned a REAL professional. Stupid is as stupid does, sir. You simply "outclassed" them, Jim, no pun intended, but the joke will be on them. A little ironic, but mostly moronic, isn't it?

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Blk97F150

Are they no longer allowing ALL 'outside instructors'...... or just the ones who happen to have an office near their facility? :eek:

That's really too bad Jim. I recall several threads where you actually defended them. Ok... maybe 'defended' isn't the right word, but you certainly attempted to put them in a better light then they were being portrayed in the thread.

Oh well. Their loss. Literally... and monetarily. :uhoh:

ProShooter

Are they no longer allowing ALL 'outside instructors'...... or just the ones who happen to have an office near their facility? :eek:

That's really too bad Jim. I recall several threads where you actually defended them. Ok... maybe 'defended' isn't the right word, but you certainly attempted to put them in a better light then they were being portrayed in the thread.

Oh well. Their loss. Literally... and monetarily. :uhoh:

Apparently, its all outside instructors.

taurusfan

CSA sucks I hate the whole atmosphere of it...I'd suck in smoke all day at Dominion rather than go to CSA.