• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at Reno city council?

GoDavyGo

Does anyone know? I'm planning on attending a meeting in the city council chambers and cannot find any information in regards to carry on the cities website?

battleborn

Does anyone know? I'm planning on attending a meeting in the city council chambers and cannot find any information in regards to carry on the cities website?

The City of Reno is unfortunately using incorrect signage that denotes "No Firearms" when according to the cited NRS, it should read "No Concealed Firearms"

IMG_6770.jpg

The Big Guy

I keep meaning to send a letter to the city manager and attorney.

You might look through the thread on my year long battle with the Henderson city fathers to get them to change the signage at Henderson City Hall. Yes, they referenced 202.3673 (CC law) to ban all firearms. I finally got them to cave and admit that they were in the wrong. Now the signs say "no concealed firearms per NRS 202.3673". I carry in there quite often. The thread might give you some ideas on form and content. You can also use what happened here as leverage up there.

Good luck and by all means go for it. You can make a difference.

TBG

Yard Sale

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-268.html#NRS268Sec418

Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no city may infringe upon those rights and powers.

The "no firearms allowed" decoration is fine and is closer to the letter of the law than "no concealed firearms allowed."

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3673
A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building

Last edited:

The Big Guy

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-268.html#NRS268Sec418

The "no firearms allowed" decoration is fine and is closer to the letter of the law than "no concealed firearms allowed."

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3673

202.3673 concerns conceal carry only. "Permittee authorized to carry concealed firearm while on premises of public building; exceptions; penalty."

The entire verbiage of 3b is

"(b) A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building, unless the permittee is not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subsection 4."

As with all open carry, there is no law against it, therefore it is legal. As the state has preempted firearms law except for discharge and Clark County registration, they cannot legally prevent you from open carry in city buildings.

TBG