• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Santa Anna cop shooting unarmed man -- reported by media & Iphone video avail

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013...-ana-officer-shoot-kill-unarmed-homeless-man/

SANTA ANA (CBSLA.com) — An eyewitness recorded cellphone video of a Santa Ana police officer shoot and kill an unarmed 22-year-old homeless man at a shopping center earlier this week....

“She exited her patrol car, gun drawn, and asked the gentlemen to get on the ground. The gentlemen didn’t get on the ground, he was still inside the restaurant. She asked again. The man then exited the restaurant, and as he was exiting the restaurant, he said, ‘What are you gonna do, b—-?’ About a second later, she shot him in the chest,” he said.

If the guy committed a felony then the cop may be justified depending on the circumstances.. if not, another isolated incidence of gun violence.

WalkingWolf

I couldn't tell from the video what happened. Unless there was an altercation it would appear the officer screwed up.

DrakeZ07

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013...-ana-officer-shoot-kill-unarmed-homeless-man/

SANTA ANA (CBSLA.com) — An eyewitness recorded cellphone video of a Santa Ana police officer shoot and kill an unarmed 22-year-old homeless man at a shopping center earlier this week....

“She exited her patrol car, gun drawn, and asked the gentlemen to get on the ground. The gentlemen didn’t get on the ground, he was still inside the restaurant. She asked again. The man then exited the restaurant, and as he was exiting the restaurant, he said, ‘What are you gonna do, b—-?’ About a second later, she shot him in the chest,” he said.

If the guy committed a felony then the cop may be justified depending on the circumstances.. if not, another isolated incidence of gun violence.

So, asking a cop "What are you gonna do, [derogatory name often applied to female canines]?" constitutes a valid reason to kill them... Well, I think I'll need to find my ex-BF's Kevlar vest! LOL

PALO

Good thing there was somebody videotaping. The more people who videotape cops in action, the better. It helps hold accountable those who do wrong, and help exonerate those who do the right thing, and are either mistakenly or fraudulently maligned for their actions. I hope more and more agencies move to mounting body cameras on cops. I'd love to wear one. Imo, it's the wave of the future for policing and the eptiome of OPEN GOVT. Obama may not respect open govt., but at least our PD's can

Last edited:

XD40sc

Or as simple and reckless as her delicate little booger hook on the bang switch. Cops also have been guilty in lacking trigger discipline.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
So, asking a cop "What are you gonna do, [derogatory name often applied to female canines]?" constitutes a valid reason to kill them...

Contempt-of-cop seems to be punishable at the court's discretion. Anywhere from a tongue-lashing, an illegal car search with contents strewn on the street, false arrest, a thorough beating, to the occasional extra-judicial execution.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Good thing there was somebody videotaping. The more people who videotape cops in action, the better. It helps hold accountable those who do wrong, and help exonerate those who do the right thing, and are either mistakenly or fraudulently maligned for their actions. I hope more and more agencies move to mounting body cameras on cops. I'd love to wear one. Imo, it's the wave of the future for policing and the eptiome of OPEN GOVT. Obama may not respect open govt., but at least our PD's can

Absolutely right!

I would love to have a camera attached to me while on-duty. In today's times, with so many illegal actions by peace officers, it is worrisome to a peace officer who actually upholds his oath that he may be the one who gets falsely accused. All of the "bad apples" are causing a bad name for all of us, and people are becoming aggravated with us all being as they tend to place us all in the same category. I not only support this idea to weed out the one's that are violating the law and people's rights, I support it to keep the good guys that haven't done anything but PROTECT the public and people's rights from being falsely accused.

I would like to see this become a mandatory piece of equipment in the profession being as it is a very delicate position to have. If this were to happen, the equipment would have to be incapable of being erased at the hands of the officer who would be wearing such a device, otherwise it would be counterproductive. Perhaps only allowing internal affairs to have access to download the device would work, or maybe the device could directly download to a program that allowed the public to view the video in real-time as well as at any other time.

Either way, when I act in my official capacity I do not have the right to privacy that I do when off-duty, as I am working for the people; unless I am on break I believe the public has every right to know what I am doing at any time.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I think that the majority of police would not mind cameras that activate when they have a citizen encounter ... but its the minority and the unions that object.

After all..why make a record when after you kill someone the main record is from the killer (justified or not), right?

But I myself would not support cops having a camera always on ... captures too much of our everyday life.