• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OK, maybe not

shaun

So, returned 2 months later from having seen and since saying what the heck, I'll bite, a Chiapa Rhino 50DS (.357 Mag ) for $535.00. Arrived base today to buy first ask wife later ... $855. Guess I don't need to come up with an answer for that scenario. Looks like evem Military Exchanges are nowntaking it to us.

For $855, I'll jus add 3 or 4 hundred in as many months and get a really nice 1911.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Last edited:

Gunslinger

I've shot both the 2 and 4" Rhinos and they are fine shooters, accurate and manage recoil from .357s very well. That said, cocking for single action shooting absolutely sucks. The 6 o'clock bore is great, but the levers to cock it are stiff as hell. Save up for a SIG or SA 1911--or better yet a Hi-Power. FAR superior guns.

SteveInCO

I've shot both the 2 and 4" Rhinos and they are fine shooters, accurate and manage recoil from .357s very well. That said, cocking for single action shooting absolutely sucks. The 6 o'clock bore is great, but the levers to cock it are stiff as hell. Save up for a SIG or SA 1911--or better yet a Hi-Power. FAR superior guns.

If I can ever get my sister in law into a gun, it will have to be a revolver with a very light trigger pull or light pull on the lever for SA; she can't even pull the slide back on a Beretta 92, which is a relatively light pull (and that fine firearm is way too big for her hands in any case), forget about 1911s or Delta Elites or even a 40 cal.

Gunslinger

If I can ever get my sister in law into a gun, it will have to be a revolver with a very light trigger pull or light pull on the lever for SA; she can't even pull the slide back on a Beretta 92, which is a relatively light pull (and that fine firearm is way too big for her hands in any case), forget about 1911s or Delta Elites or even a 40 cal.

Taurus M85, 2" +P rated .38 special is what I bought for my daughter. Very accurate, great SA and very smooth DA trigger pulls. Well made and $200 cheaper than a S&W. I have Speer Gold Dot short barrel 135g +Ps in it. Excellent ballistics and very manageable recoil as the pistol is all SS. Ruger also makes excellent .38s for a good price. Getting a .357 but loading .38spcl will help even more with recoil due to added weight.

SteveInCO

Taurus M85, 2" +P rated .38 special is what I bought for my daughter. Very accurate, great SA and very smooth DA trigger pulls. Well made and $200 cheaper than a S&W. I have Speer Gold Dot short barrel 135g +Ps in it. Excellent ballistics and very manageable recoil as the pistol is all SS. Ruger also makes excellent .38s for a good price. Getting a .357 but loading .38spcl will help even more with recoil due to added weight.

I've already explained that last part to her. In any case it will probably be some time before this happens; I first gotta get her husband into a handgun. (And he is talking a Luger, as in the toggle-top deal from the war movies. Not really a terribly good plan, I understand they choke on hollowpoints.)

shaun

Thank you for the posts, everyone. Although would love to have, without actually being able to test-shoot, your feedback makes me glad they raised the price.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Thank you for the posts, everyone. Although would love to have, without actually being able to test-shoot, your feedback makes me glad they raised the price.

But hey, the Matebas are worth big bucks today ... depending on how many they are selling of the new design, who knows?