Thread: Long gun in car

Long gun in car

I'll be moving to Georgia in October for about 7 months. I was curious as to what the law is in Georgia regarding a loaded long gun in the vehicle. Could it be concealed in the vehicle or does it have to remain in the open?
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Assuming you are not prohibited from possessing weapons and are not ineligible for a Georgia Weapons Carry License - -

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
    Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, and other locations and conditions; penalties for violations

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.
    A few things that might be helpful - -
    Georgia Codes that mention firearms or weapons, the majority are between 16-11-120 and 16-11-130.
    - There are 8 enumerated locations where carrying a firearm or weapon is prohibited.
    - Signs carry no weight, but one must leave private property if asked.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 08-03-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Thank you. I will carry under my MI CPL in GA buts looks like if I'm going to keep a long gun in the vehicle it'd have to be in the open.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.

Sorry, allow me to expound a bit.

Inside your house, car, RV, houseboat, business, etc, the manner of carrying a pistol or rifle is entirely up to you. I would even recommend carrying inside a nondescript bag so as to not attract unwanted criminal attention.

It's only Outside your house, car, etc, AND carrying loaded AND carrying WITHOUT a weapons license that you must carry openly and unconcealed. IF you have a weapons license you can carry a rifle loaded and concealed, ( and if it's a pistol it must be unloaded and encased (if no weapons license.))

I carry my long guns in a sports bag that I got at a second hand sporting goods shop.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 08-03-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Sorry, allow me to expound a bit.

Inside your house, car, RV, houseboat, business, etc, the manner of carrying a pistol or rifle is entirely up to you. I would even recommend carrying inside a nondescript bag so as to not attract unwanted criminal attention.

It's only Outside your house, car, etc, AND carrying loaded AND carrying WITHOUT a weapons license that you must carry openly and unconcealed. IF you have a weapons license you can carry a rifle loaded and concealed, ( and if it's a pistol it must be unloaded and encased (if no weapons license.))

I carry my long guns in a sports bag that I got at a second hand sporting goods shop.
    Thank you for clarifying. Sorry for my confusion I actually did try to look up the law and google the answer, but what I was finding was conflicting. If I did keep it in my car I'd definitely want it to in some sort of discreet bag. Georgia's laws seems so much better than MI's other than you can't OC in the pistol free zones, but no place is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    Thank you for clarifying. Sorry for my confusion I actually did try to look up the law and google the answer, but what I was finding was conflicting. If I did keep it in my car I'd definitely want it to in some sort of discreet bag. Georgia's laws seems so much better than MI's other than you can't OC in the pistol free zones, but no place is perfect.
    what do you mean " you can't OC in the pistol free zones,"?

as cc in unlawfull places is as bad
    but just because a pvt businesses has a sign saying no guns allowed isnt against the law

Carrying a Weapon in an Unauthorized Location: Carrying a weapon or long gun in any of the following places is against the law (misdemeanor offense, exceptions are below the list)...

In a government building.
    -- "Government Building" means:
    The building in which a government entity is housed (Please see the definition for "government entity" below for more information)
    The building where a government entity meets in its official capacity; provided, however, that if such building is not a publicly owned building, such building shall be considered a government building for the purposes of this Code section only during the time such government entity is meeting at such building; or
    The portion of any building that is not a publicly owned building that is occupied by a government entity. (if a government entity rented out space in a mall and actually occupies it with people, only the "store" space they rented would be off limits)

--"Government Entity" means an office, agency, authority, department, commission, board, body, division, instrumentality, or institution of the state or any county, municipal corporation, consolidated government, or local board of education within this state (This part of the law is kind of vague depending on who exactly is included regarding an "office" or "department" as to where they are "housed" or "occupied". The meaning most favorable to a person charged with violating this law (which is the way a court should rule) is limited to the location that contains the person that is in charge of the entire entity. Example: Your local tax office has 3 locations (all publicly owned) where you can make payments, the county tax commissioner is housed in building A and is off-limits, buildings b and c are not off limits because they do not house the Office of the tax commissioner. The meaning least favorable to a person charged with violating this law (which is a way police and prosecutors could interpret it and a court might rule) includes any location where an employee operates out of. Example: Your local tax office has 3 locations (all publicly owned) where you can make payments, all 3 locations are off limits. This does not include a blanket ban on all publicly owned buildings since the law says that a publicly owned building is only off-limits if an entity is housed or meets in the building).

In a courthouse (a building occupied by judicial courts and containing rooms in which judicial proceedings are held)
    In a jail or prison
    In a place of worship
    In a state mental health facility as defined in Code Section 37-1-1 which admits individuals on an involuntary basis for treatment of mental illness, developmental disability, or addictive disease
    In a bar unless the owner permits carry (the owner has to grant permission for you to be able carry, a bar is defined as an establishment that is devoted to the serving of alcoholic beverages for consumption by guests on the premises and in which the serving of food is only incidental to the consumption of those beverages, like taverns, nightclubs, cocktail lounges, and cabarets)
    On the premises of a nuclear power facility (punishment for carry is a misdemeanor, carry with intent to do bodily harm is a felony)
    Within 150 feet of a polling location

A person with a Weapons Carry License may have a weapon that is under their control while in a car or the weapon can be left inside a locked compartment, container, or rack on the vehicle parked in a designated parking facility (the place people are supposed to park when visiting one of the unauthorized locations). A person can also approach security upon arrival and notify them of the presence of the weapon and you must follow the instructions for removing, securing, storing or temporarily surrendering the weapon or long gun. There is a list of people who are authorized to carry without the need of a Weapons Carry License (polling locations has its own list 21-3-413) such as law enforcement officers, district attorneys, judges, magistrates, solicitors, persons in the state or US military and more. Please see 16-11-130 for the full list. (16-11-127 )

all this can be found here

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php
    ar15 sbr glock 19 beretta m9
    Proud Lifetime georgia carry member
    nam vet

Quote Originally Posted by mark5019 View Post
    what do you mean " you can't OC in the pistol free zones,"?
    What I mean is in Michigan many places where it's illegal to carry a concealed firearm with a CPL it's legal to open carry. Places like schools, churches (legal with church permission), day care facilities, sports stadiums, bars/taverns, are all "pistol free zones" if you're carrying concealed. If you have a CPL you can open carry in all those places.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...2_336854_7.pdf
    Last edited by xmanhockey7; 08-05-2013 at 05:18 AM.

oh i didnt understand

i lived 1 yr in maquette
    ar15 sbr glock 19 beretta m9
    Proud Lifetime georgia carry member
    nam vet