Thread: Open carry in Georgia with FL ccw

Open carry in Georgia with FL ccw

Hi everyone, I'm new here and just have a quick question that I can't seem to find a clear answer on. I'm planning a trip to Georgia here soon and I'm just wondering since Georgia recognizes my ccw from Florida, will I be allowed to open carry there? My permit does not allow OC in Florida, but since Georgia allows it with a permit I didn't know if mine qualified. Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockStar23 View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm new here and just have a quick question that I can't seem to find a clear answer on. I'm planning a trip to Georgia here soon and I'm just wondering since Georgia recognizes my ccw from Florida, will I be allowed to open carry there? My permit does not allow OC in Florida, but since Georgia allows it with a permit I didn't know if mine qualified. Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    You must abide by the laws of the state you are in. Georgia requires a permit to carry a handgun. If you have a permit they recognize you're allowed to carry a handgun or other weapons they allow.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

^ What he said. ^

Your Florida permit is recognized by the state of Georgia. The only tricky part of our law (really) is that there are 8 enumerated locations where carrying a weapon is unauthorized per 16-11-127
    (1) In a government building
    (2) In a courthouse
    (3) In a jail or prison
    (4) In a place of worship
    (5) In a state mental health facility which admits individuals on an involuntary basis
    (6) In a bar, unless the owner of the bar permits the carrying of weapons or long guns by license holders;
    (7) On the premises of a nuclear power facility
    (8) Within 150 feet of any polling place.

OC is liberating, especially in hot, humid weather.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 08-04-2013 at 11:32 PM.

Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I thought, just wanted to be sure. Appreciate your help. God bless!

Same for me, i live just across the river from memphis TN. My arkansas permit is a CCW. I have OCed a few times in TN but was a little unsure about it. After reading on this site and speaking with some LEOs, you have to recognize the laws of the state you are in. So you can OC in an OC state with any recognized firearm permit from another state. At the same time, someone from TN with a HCP has to conceal when in AR.