• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in Georgia with FL ccw

GlockStar23

Hi everyone, I'm new here and just have a quick question that I can't seem to find a clear answer on. I'm planning a trip to Georgia here soon and I'm just wondering since Georgia recognizes my ccw from Florida, will I be allowed to open carry there? My permit does not allow OC in Florida, but since Georgia allows it with a permit I didn't know if mine qualified. Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

xmanhockey7

Hi everyone, I'm new here and just have a quick question that I can't seem to find a clear answer on. I'm planning a trip to Georgia here soon and I'm just wondering since Georgia recognizes my ccw from Florida, will I be allowed to open carry there? My permit does not allow OC in Florida, but since Georgia allows it with a permit I didn't know if mine qualified. Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You must abide by the laws of the state you are in. Georgia requires a permit to carry a handgun. If you have a permit they recognize you're allowed to carry a handgun or other weapons they allow.

Fallschirjmäger

^ What he said. ^

Your Florida permit is recognized by the state of Georgia. The only tricky part of our law (really) is that there are 8 enumerated locations where carrying a weapon is unauthorized per 16-11-127
(1) In a government building
(2) In a courthouse
(3) In a jail or prison
(4) In a place of worship
(5) In a state mental health facility which admits individuals on an involuntary basis
(6) In a bar, unless the owner of the bar permits the carrying of weapons or long guns by license holders;
(7) On the premises of a nuclear power facility
(8) Within 150 feet of any polling place.

OC is liberating, especially in hot, humid weather.

Last edited:

GlockStar23

Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I thought, just wanted to be sure. Appreciate your help. God bless!

Kopis

Same for me, i live just across the river from memphis TN. My arkansas permit is a CCW. I have OCed a few times in TN but was a little unsure about it. After reading on this site and speaking with some LEOs, you have to recognize the laws of the state you are in. So you can OC in an OC state with any recognized firearm permit from another state. At the same time, someone from TN with a HCP has to conceal when in AR.