• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Connecticut Carry - What gives the DESPP the authority to threaten CT gun owners?

Rich B

The Connecticut Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection have been routinely sending letters threatening gun owners in the State of Connecticut with arrest if they don't turn in their firearms upon being issued an Ex Parte restraining order.

http://ctcarry.com/News/Release/0a624b51-3b74-4228-8fe0-384f2945d428

They are without statutory authority to do this, and we have been observing as Attorney Rachel Baird holds their feet to the fire in court over this.

This week, US Senator and former Attorney General Richard Blumenthal and US Senator Christopher Murphy expressed their intent to change the law Federally to allow for the DESPP's criminal behavior.

Where is the accountability for the State Police?

Connecticut Carry Director Ed Peruta asks this and more in an easy to share and easy to understand video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo7tResI0QY

Skinnedknuckles

Rich, I appreciate your efforts to being some light on the subject of restraining orders. I was confused by a comment in the Courant article about our "honored" Senators' proposed legislation I guess that shouldn't be a surprise) and hope you can help me out.

The article stated:
"Laws about guns and restraining orders vary widely among the 50 states. Connecticut law requires people under a temporary restraining order in a criminal case to surrender or sell their guns within two days of the order being issued.

But in civil cases, such as a pending divorce, the issuance of a temporary restraining order only bars someone from purchasing new guns. It does not require them to surrender guns they already own, which the senators and the advocates said creates a dangerous loophole."

Just what is the law and are there differences because of different "types" of restraining orders?

Thanks.