• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming to FL for family emergency. OC help appreciated.

BroadwayJoe

I have to make an emergency trip to Florida to see some family with health issues. I do not have my concealed carry as NC is pro open carry, and prefer to not make the trip unarmed. I know NC law, I believe SC you can not carry open, Georgia is OC friendly but not sure on FL. I am honestly just to short on time to do any research. Any help is appreciated.Thank you.

notalawyer

In general, no OC in Florida. Exceptions for at home/work, hunting/fishing/camping, etc.
You can keep a concealed firearm in your closed glove-box/console without a CWFL.

davidmcbeth

Banned
go download the atf book regarding the 50 state's laws ... then you can reference it regarding where ever you desire to go.

Hope all turns out well in Fl.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
In florida you can keep your lawfully owned handgun in your closed glove box or car's center console without a license. There are other exceptions but, from a practical standpoint, this should suffice.

sfla4x4

I agree with NotALawyer on the few exceptions to OC in Florida. My CHL application states that Florida recognizes CWL holders from North Carolina, but not sure if you actually have those in your state, since NC is an OC state. You should be able to have the gun in your glove box in a zipped case with no issues; also, in your hotel room or wherever you are staying in Florida. I would not carry it on your person without a CWL as it could be a problem.