Thread: WoD: DEA directs agents to cover up program used to investigate Americans

WoD: DEA directs agents to cover up program used to investigate Americans

" John Shiffman and Kristina Cooke, WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A secretive U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration unit is funneling information from intelligence intercepts, wiretaps, informants and a massive database of telephone records to authorities across the nation to help them launch criminal investigations of Americans.

The undated documents show that federal agents are trained to "recreate" the investigative trail to effectively cover up where the information originated, a practice that some experts say violates a defendant's Constitutional right to a fair trial. If defendants don't know how an investigation began, they cannot know to ask to review potential sources of exculpatory evidence - information that could reveal entrapment, mistakes or biased witnesses.

"I have never heard of anything like this at all," said Nancy Gertner, a Harvard Law School professor who served as a federal judge from 1994 to 2011. Gertner and other legal experts said the program sounds more troubling than recent disclosures that the National Security Agency has been collecting domestic phone records. The NSA effort is geared toward stopping terrorists; the DEA program targets common criminals, primarily drug dealers.

"It is one thing to create special rules for national security," Gertner said. "Ordinary crime is entirely different. It sounds like they are phonying up investigations."

http://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-u-di...091643729.html
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Does this surprise anyone? My representative said that they need these tools for nation defense. I told him that if ya give a child a hammer to hammer nails and they do hammer nails but also hammer people's toes, would you take the tool away from the child?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Does this surprise anyone? My representative said that they need these tools for nation defense. I told him that if ya give a child a hammer to hammer nails and they do hammer nails but also hammer people's toes, would you take the tool away from the child?
    To a hammerhead, all is nail.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...97409R20130805
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-05-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Peoples toes and fingers have nails.....
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

DEA and NSA Team Up, Leading to Secret Use of Surveillance in Ordinary Investigations

A startling new Reuters story shows one of the biggest dangers of the surveillance state: the unquenchable thirst for access to the NSA's trove of information by other law enforcement agencies.

As the NSA scoops up phone records and other forms of electronic evidence while investigating national security and terrorism leads, they turn over "tips" to a division of the Drug Enforcement Agency ("DEA") known as the Special Operations Division ("SOD"). FISA surveillance was originally supposed to be used only in certain specific, authorized national security investigations, but information sharing rules implemented after 9/11 allows the NSA to hand over information to traditional domestic law-enforcement agencies, without any connection to terrorism or national security investigations.

But instead of being truthful with criminal defendants, judges, and even prosecutors about where the information came from, DEA agents are reportedly obscuring the source of these tips. For example, a aw enforcement agent could receive a tip from SOD—which SOD, in turn, got from the NSA—to look for a specific car at a certain place. But instead of relying solely on that tip, the agent would be instructed to find his or her own reason to stop and search the car. Agents are directed to keep SOD under wraps and not mention it in "investigative reports, affidavits, discussions with prosecutors and courtroom testimony," according to Reuters.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/0...nce-laundering
    https://www.eff.org/copyright Creative Commons Attribution License