• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you get your cpl after a dwls conviction?

DHenry

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my question. In March of 2013 I pled guilty to a dwls ticket, paid my fine and received no probation or any other requirements from the court. This is the only dwls conviction I have received. I would like to obtain my cpl but I am unsure if I can do to the dwls conviction. I checked the Michigan State Police website for the requirements but it's a little misleading (at least for me). I'm sure everyone that has a cpl in Michigan has seen this before but I will post it just for reference sake.

12. Have not been convicted of one of the following misdemeanors in the 8 years immediately preceding the date of application:

Failing to stop when involved in a personal injury accident, MCL 257.617a
Operating while intoxicated, second offense, MCL 257.625(9)(b)
Drunk driving, commercial vehicle, MCL 257.625m(4)
Reckless driving, MCL 257.626
Driving while license suspended or revoked, second or subsequent offense, MCL 257.90

I'm not sure if this is saying that you can not have a dwls in the last 8 years or if you can't have a second dwls in the last past 8 years. Anyone know the answer to this question?

My licence was suspened from 2005 when I was stopped and got a no proof ticket and didn't pay it so they suspeneded my licence. Got stopped again in 2013 when I got hit with the dwls.

Ok. So just to clear this issue up incase anyone else has this question. I just talked to the Oakland county clerks office (where you submit your paperwork for your cpl) and it turns out that the dwls 1st office doesn't restrict your right to obtain a cpl. Thank you everyone for your responses.

Last edited:

casper

I read it as second offence. Do you have to go in front of a gun board in your county ? Some will use it to deny you.

casper

I'm guessing DUI ...

I myself see no correlation between a DUI or other motor vehicle issue as having any bearing on gun rights.
Probably looking at your responsibility level. If your willing to drink and drive, then why wouldn't you drink and shoot ? We may be on the wrong track though. Lets wait and see why it was suspended.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

I don't see why it matters why his license was suspended simply the fact he was convicted of dwls. The way it reads to me you'd have to have to be convicted of it more than one time. If you've only been convicted once then you're good.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Probably looking at your responsibility level. If your willing to drink and drive, then why wouldn't you drink and shoot ? We may be on the wrong track though. Lets wait and see why it was suspended.

Its jumping to conclusions dui=drunken shooting rampage ....

Then anyone who drinks cannot own is the logical next step.

TheQ

Does the OP have the MCL # he was found/plead guilty to?

It should be on his court papers.

If he can't find it, his lawyer should know.

Knowing the exact MCL he was found/plead guilty to would help to answer his question more precisely.