• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington Open Carry in The Stranger

deanf

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2013/08/05/if-only-i-was-open-carrying-a-gun

Stacks of readers who saw my post last week about cops hassling me when I took photos of police officers downtown have sent me e-mails. Some were sweet; some were really depressing. I got lots of stories from people who were hassled by police officers, filed complaints, and promptly saw nothing happen. Seems like that's SOP in most cases. But none was more depressing an e-mail exchange with guy who thinks prevention is the best medicine for police misconduct. And by that, he thinks prevention is a pistol [sic throughout]:

Vitaeus

Eh, the quoted? emailer was not exactly the best ambassador, but the sweeping generalization by the author is interesting to see since the original article was about other Bill of Rights issues, except that pesky 2nd one. That one is about hunting, right?

Difdi

The thing is, you're either for human rights or against them. Someone who cherrypicks which rights are good and opposes the others isn't any different from those people they oppose. Nobody opposes all human rights for everyone everywhere, after all.

sudden valley gunner

The thing is, you're either for human rights or against them. Someone who cherrypicks which rights are good and opposes the others isn't any different from those people they oppose. Nobody opposes all human rights for everyone everywhere, after all.

Some folks just don't believe that the right to bear arms exists.

But I would be willing to wager that if a gun magically appeared in their hand while someone was beating them to death they would quickly use it.