• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tacoma Public Library: Open and Concealed Carry

amlevin

Can you be legally ejected from a public library for engaging in behavior that is prohibited by a library policy that has been repealed by a state statute?

If you refuse to leave, is it trespassing?

I bet someone subjected to a trespass notice for doing so would have standing to sue...

Or bring a charge of "Coercion" against the party who has you ejected/arrested.

RCW 9A.36.070
Coercion.

(1) A person is guilty of coercion if by use of a threat he or she compels or induces a person to engage in conduct which the latter has a legal right to abstain from, or to abstain from conduct which he or she has a legal right to engage in.

(2) "Threat" as used in this section means:

(a) To communicate, directly or indirectly, the intent immediately to use force against any person who is present at the time; or

(b) Threats as defined in *RCW 9A.04.110(27) (a), (b), or (c).

(3) Coercion is a gross misdemeanor.

[2011 c 336 § 361; 1975 1st ex.s. c 260 § 9A.36.070.]

Carry a copy of this with you as well as the list of threats in RCW 9A.04.110 {Note, Section 27 reference has been changed to Section 28}

(28) "Threat" means to communicate, directly or indirectly the intent:

(a) To cause bodily injury in the future to the person threatened or to any other person; or

(b) To cause physical damage to the property of a person other than the actor; or

(c) To subject the person threatened or any other person to physical confinement or restraint; or

I think that any ordinary person would find the threat of arrest, restraint, and confinement would qualify.

People who work in Libraries are supposed to be able to read an the law is pretty clear.

In WA State, a Gross Misdemeanor which doesn't have a statutory penalty can mean up to a Year in Jail and a $5,000 fine. As your Library "Shushher" if the'd like to risk this.

Last edited:

Difdi

(3) Coercion is a gross misdemeanor.

While you can't make a citizen's arrest for a mere misdemeanor, if they so much as touch you while ejecting you, they have breached the peace. You CAN make a citizen's arrest in Washington for a breach of the peace. :cool:

Last edited:

amlevin

While you can't make a citizen's arrest for a mere misdemeanor, if they so much as touch you while ejecting you, they have breached the peace. You CAN make a citizen's arrest in Washington for a breach of the peace. :cool:

Would that be before or after you beat the snot out of them for "battery" they committed on your person?

Grim_Night

I am currently sitting at a table inside thr Tacoma public library next to the downtown court house. I was, approached by security because I am open carrying. I informed the lady that I was in compliance with state law. She said that as far as she knew, it was against library policy for anybody other then LEOs to carry or possess a firearm in the library. She contacted her supervisor who came to talk to me. He brought with him a copy of the rules and policies of the library showing me where it said that I could not carry. I corrected him that the rules had been changed as of 2013 per this thread. He left me alone saying he was only doing his job.

A few minutes later, he comes back to inform me that his copy of library policies was outdated and that I was absolutely correct.

Score one for us.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I am currently sitting at a table inside thr Tacoma public library next to the downtown court house. I was, approached by security because I am open carrying. I informed the lady that I was in compliance with state law. She said that as far as she knew, it was against library policy for anybody other then LEOs to carry or possess a firearm in the library. She contacted her supervisor who came to talk to me. He brought with him a copy of the rules and policies of the library showing me where it said that I could not carry. I corrected him that the rules had been changed as of 2013 per this thread. He left me alone saying he was only doing his job.

A few minutes later, he comes back to inform me that his copy of library policies was outdated and that I was absolutely correct.

Score one for us.

Sounds like the policy is only changed after they approach someone that knows its been changed? Personally, I find it hard to believe that the policies print out they have has not been reprinted or updated since the use of this thread but that may just be me. +1 for them admitting they were wrong though and not kicking you out anyways.

Contrarian

Seattle Public Library and 9.41.290/300

Now if we could just do something about the Seattle Public Library Policy:

Category E (Serious Violation Toward Person(s) or Property)
•Possession, except by law enforcement officers, of a firearm on Library property.
•Possession of any other dangerous weapon.

How is it that Tacoma PL gets it but Seattle does not - do not the RCW's apply statewide?

Or is it something that has not been pushed in Seattle to cause a recognition of state law?

(Sidenote : If you are found in violation of Category E, what penalty can the library exact?)

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
How is it that Tacoma PL gets it but Seattle does not - do not the RCW's apply statewide?

Or is it something that has not been pushed in Seattle to cause a recognition of state law?

(Sidenote : If you are found in violation of Category E, what penalty can the library exact?)

Seattle has also given in, but they complained about it immensely

Guns now allowed inside Seattle libraries

Last edited: