• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry: City of Federal Way Parks

RogueReflections

Today, I sent an email to: Federal Way City Parks, Federal Way Media Relations, and Federal Way Police Department (FWPD,) challenging the wording of a sign at a city Park, prohibiting "weapons." I was at Steel Lake Park this weekend, and saw a sign prohibiting "weapons" in Steel Lake Park. This sign sign referenced Federal Way Revised Code (FWRC) 4.05. This sign is wholly unenforceable and can result in A LOT of confusion and unnecessary calls for service to FWPD. I further explained that just because a sign has an edict, it does not make it law. I sent these emails at approximately (APPROX) 1630 hours, Monday, August 05, 2013. Being that I sent these emails out, this late in the day, I do not expect to hear back today, as it is the end of the day for many City Workers. I will keep my fellow residents and visitors of Washington State and the City of Federal Way updated, as I hear more.

-Rogue Reflections-

massivedesign

FWRC does a circular link to firearms at parks.. It's not mentioned in 4.05 at all, except a reference in 4.02.220 to 6.25, which then references it back to 4.05.220...

[h=3]4.05.220 Fireworks, explosives, and projectile weapons.[/h]The possession or use of fireworks, bows, arrows, airguns, explosives of any kind, and sling-shots is prohibited in any park. The director of parks may issue permits for fireworks displays and the use of safe fireworks in specified areas where fire hazards will not be increased, where the use of the fireworks will be under proper supervision, and where the provisions of Chapter 12.55FWRC are met. This section shall not prevent establishment in any park of a properly designed archery course, pursuant to the requirements of the director.
(Ord. No. 09-601, § 32, 1-6-09; Ord. No. 91-82, § 1(11), 1-8-91. Code 2001 § 11-72.)
Cross references: Crimes relating to firearms and dangerous weapons, Chapter 6.25 FWRC; regulations regarding fireworks, Chapter12.55 FWRC.

PALO

Today, I sent an email to: Federal Way City Parks, Federal Way Media Relations, and Federal Way Police Department (FWPD,) challenging the wording of a sign at a city Park, prohibiting "weapons." I was at Steel Lake Park this weekend, and saw a sign prohibiting "weapons" in Steel Lake Park. This sign sign referenced Federal Way Revised Code (FWRC) 4.05. This sign is wholly unenforceable and can result in A LOT of confusion and unnecessary calls for service to FWPD. I further explained that just because a sign has an edict, it does not make it law. I sent these emails at approximately (APPROX) 1630 hours, Monday, August 05, 2013. Being that I sent these emails out, this late in the day, I do not expect to hear back today, as it is the end of the day for many City Workers. I will keep my fellow residents and visitors of Washington State and the City of Federal Way updated, as I hear more.

-Rogue Reflections-

I have a couple of friends with Fed Way PD - former Hawaii cops back in the day. They know the state preemption law and know that the City prohibition is unenforceable poop.

Good on ya for getting them to remove the sign (I'm certain they will). I had a similar issue in my smaller town with a sign at the city park prohibiting "firearms". I went to a city council meeting, gave a brief little talk on state law and they had some city workers out removing the signs the next day.

cheers