• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A good OC story from one of the other sites.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
http://waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=27417

"Ok so this morning my oldest and I got up at the crack of dawn, he's been asking me to take him fishing since spring, and last night I finally got him his own pole and I renewed my license. Went out to vancouver lake and spent the morning on the shore... We didn't have a single nibble... not one and we got there at 7 and where there until almost 11.... Next time I'm taking some "southern fishing equipment" when I go :bigsmile:.

So we get back to my house around 1130 and as my boy and I are unloading our stuff I thought I herd some one say something.... looked around didn't see nothing grabbed my backpack and heard "excuse me mister but can you please help me?"

I looked around still couldn't see nothing shut my door and standing down on the street just around the fence out of my field of view was a kid, idk, 14/15 somewhere in that ballpark, next to him on the ground was his bike the foot petal thingy(no I don't ride or own a bike so IDK what the heck its called) was laying on the ground.

"Mister I think I broke my bike, can you please help me fix it?" It was written all over his face that he was on the verge of crying.

I told him that I would be right back I had to run into my house and drop off my stuff and grab some tools and that I would be right back. Ran inside dropped off my gear and turned on the tv for hunter for a minute grabbed my tool kit and went back outside.

Walked over and took a look at the bike and realized there was a bolt that was ment to hold the petal thingy in place and it was missing... I looked up to ask if he sees it and we look for it... Cant find it but after about 30 seconds of looking I realize that he's looking more at me than he is the ground. I realized when be had spoken to me that he was a "special needs" child but we was fairly "normal" I guess you could say. Told him I may have some parts that may work and run into my garage and grabbed a bucket full of nuts and bolts I've been saving.

As I am walking out of my garage I realize he's staring at me and looks slightly scared shitless, I kneeled down next to his bike, and started going through the bucket trying to find one the right size and assured him I had one someplace. this is the conversation best I can remember the words, bout thirty seconds of quiet and:

"Are you a cop?"

"Nope, Im not, I work for the garbage company that makes sure the city stays clean, why do you ask?"

"You have a gun, mom says only police officers and bad guys carry guns"

Mental thought to myself was ****, 1911 is on my hip, and this kids probably never even seen a gun before other than on the tv.

"Well your mom is kind of right, police officers do carry guns and sometimes bad guys carry guns, but there are a lot of people who aren't cops or bad guys that carry guns too, like me and my friends."

"How do I know YOUR not a bad guy?"

"Well I guess you don't do you, but now I have a question for you."

"Ok."

"If I was a bad guy, would a bad guy fix a good guys bike?"

"I guess not."

"No, I don't think he would either."

Finally the right bolt!

"Why do you carry a gun?"

"I carry my gun to protect my family, they are the most important thing in the world to me, and I would do absolutely anything and everything I could do to protect them, no matter what."

He just smiled at me as I tightened the nut down.

"There you go bud, all fixed up and ready to go."

"Thank you mister, you are a good guy"
and he gave me a hug. and got on his bike, and rode off down the road waving and yelling out
"Good as new!"

It was the oddest yet coolest conversations I've ever had with someone regarding firearms. I still cant help but grin over it, I will always help a stranger if I can, but it was a heck of a lot more gratifying today for some reason...

That is all :wavey:"

amlevin

The key part of this story is that this "Special Needs" person had an excuse for asking all these questions. Those who have fully functional brains and ask these questions are the ones that make me shake my head.

Also, it's amazing that a "challenged" person was able to be reasoned with. Way different than most who are anti-gun but without these "challenges".

Good job on helping the kid out.

You'll get your reward somewhere on down the line.

Freedom1Man

The key part of this story is that this "Special Needs" person had an excuse for asking all these questions. Those who have fully functional brains and ask these questions are the ones that make me shake my head.

Also, it's amazing that a "challenged" person was able to be reasoned with. Way different than most who are anti-gun but without these "challenges".

Good job on helping the kid out.

You'll get your reward somewhere on down the line.

The special needs "child" has more brain power than a libtard/most gun haters.

DrakeZ07

Isn't it awesome that a good, heart-felt cross-forum story comes here, and the thread descends into name-calling, and general group bashing?

I thought the state sub-forums was better than the SL/GD sub-forums when it comes to posting and written etiquette. I thought wrong.

FreeInAZ

Isn't it awesome that a good, heart-felt cross-forum story comes here, and the thread descends into name-calling, and general group bashing?

I thought the state sub-forums was better than the SL/GD sub-forums when it comes to posting and written etiquette. I thought wrong.

My bad I guess? Was just pointing out that if the special needs kid gets it, maybe we can indeed sway some liberals? Truth is truth, kindness is kindness, those who can't register those simple things are lost. I believe that acts of kindness, public service (roadside clean-ups, charity fund raisers, etc...) can go along way in changing the public view of OCers. Too bad we don't see more of it. (No dig meant...). We all have a life. I have attended such events in the past and all were well received by the public. Kind of hard to bash on a group of people who go out of their way to help others.

We win by winning the hearts & minds of the public, who have been conditioned to "feel" that only LE & Criminals should carry firearms. Only way to fight "feelings" is by using "feelings" to our advantage.

Carry on & God save the republic!

FreeInAZ

How much you want to bet that this child goes home and tells his mom that she was wrong...good guys carry guns too.

One can sure hope so. We need to start having truthful, open, chats with others. They have been told to the point of **brainwashing**; that "You don't need a gun, we'll protect you...". We all know the only way to truly be protected is to take responsibility for our own safety. We however, are a very small slice of our nation. We need to, whenever the chance shows itself, explain to others why we carry and how it is very unrealistic to expect police to be everywhere when needed. We have seen many times that police often can't even protect themselves let alone us, (North Hollywood/ C. Dorner etc..) nor is it their responsiblity to do so - per SCOTUS.