• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Foia

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The Freedom of Information Act is constantly changing. The Virginia Coalition for Open Government has posted the latest version of the act. We use this often so it's in our interest to keep up with it.

You can see it here:
http://www.opengovva.org/current-law

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
your foia laws have too many exemptions .. and your meeting agenda requirements are too lax ...

folks should be aware of their records laws ...

good post

davidmcbeth

Banned
Some people follow very closely. Recent coverage in Fredericksburg:

http://news.fredericksburg.com/newsdesk/2013/08/02/baseball-meeting-apparently-illegal/

TFred

A committee is generally viewed as a subgroup of a larger group (only 3 is needed for a committee). Since the manager, who is not a councilman, was also included in the group then the group is technically not a committee under the FOI act. If it is a "other entity" seems likely and it appears that they were having meetings in secret. But even 2 councilmen cannot meet w/o announcing a meeting either. They have been naughty naughty.

I have a FOIA complaint about CT's PA13-3 (sweeping gun law) where legislators were found to be meeting in secret and the admin review agency is trying to sweep it under the rug.

Of course any significant action taken as a result of a foia violation usually requires a null and voiding of that action.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The Freedom of Information Act is constantly changing. The Virginia Coalition for Open Government has posted the latest version of the act. We use this often so it's in our interest to keep up with it.

You can see it here:
http://www.opengovva.org/current-law
We haz big headaches and "I"s hurt.
big-headache-smiley-emoticon.gif

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
your foia laws have too many exemptions .. and your meeting agenda requirements are too lax ...

folks should be aware of their records laws ...

good post

You fotgot to mention that there are no teeth to the law.

Not too many public officials quake in their boots at the prospect of receiving a mildly-worded letter.

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You fotgot to mention that there are no teeth to the law.

Not too many public officials quake in their boots at the prospect of receiving a mildly-worded letter.

stay safe.

Well, it does with meetings violations :) With records requests? Yeah, its a joke.

Superlite27

YOU DON'T FRIGHTEN US, ENGLISH PIG-DOGS! Go and boil your bottoms, sons of a silly person! I blow my nose at you, so called "Arthur King"! You and all your silly, English CANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN........IGITS!

Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time.