Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: driving down there soon to Disney world

  1. #1
    Regular Member newell711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Newell wv
    Posts
    24

    driving down there soon to Disney world

    I have a question for all you Florida people. I will be traveling to disney world in September and I am coming from West by God Virginia. This question is mainly a CC question but didnt know where else to ask. I can CC in all the states on my way down except Georgia, I know this. My permit is honored in Florida. I will be staying at a disney resort. I don't like the idea of driving that far without my "little buddy" Springfield XD .45, but what do you suggest I do when I am at Disney. I know that they have a strict No weapons policy at the parks, but I can't find anything on the hotels, etc. I have also read somewhere that you can "check" you arms at the gate. I do not want to carry in the parks, I just want to know where to keep it while I'm there and If I can carry in downtown disney area or if that is also part of the parks. Thank you

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by newell711 View Post
    I have a question for all you Florida people. I will be traveling to disney world in September and I am coming from West by God Virginia. This question is mainly a CC question but didnt know where else to ask. I can CC in all the states on my way down except Georgia, I know this. My permit is honored in Florida. I will be staying at a disney resort. I don't like the idea of driving that far without my "little buddy" Springfield XD .45, but what do you suggest I do when I am at Disney. I know that they have a strict No weapons policy at the parks, but I can't find anything on the hotels, etc. I have also read somewhere that you can "check" you arms at the gate. I do not want to carry in the parks, I just want to know where to keep it while I'm there and If I can carry in downtown disney area or if that is also part of the parks. Thank you
    Legal to carry into the parks, hotels and DD, regardless of any policies they may have.

    If you want to (not sure why anyone would want to) you can rent a locker after you go in and lock it up. Or you can leave it in the car in the parking lot or in the room safe.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Maverick9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mid-atlantic
    Posts
    1,505
    You can google for answers.

    The main concern is that Georgia doesn't honor Va carry permits. You can get an out-of-state permit in Va, through Pennsylvania, which last time I checked, is honored by Georgia. Used to be people got Utah permits, but they started dropping states.

    As to Disney, just carry securely and properly, perhaps with some retention, since signs don't carry weight. If caught (Disney checks bags but not people) they will escort you to the entrance, with an option to put it in their lockers or in your car. If you are careless you could get banned.

    The dangerous areas are the parking lots, of course, not that they're that bad, AFAIK. I would not suggest locking it in your car.

    They also will look for the clip handle of a pocket knife so be aware of that.

    If you stay on 95, gas up before going through Georgia and don't get out of the car or brandish, the Federal transport laws will give you some coverage. It might take 3-4 months to get the PA permit and double check the coverage - states are changing their permissions.

    Good luck!

  4. #4
    Regular Member MagiK_SacK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    VA Beach, VA
    Posts
    264

    driving down there soon to Disney world

    I can't seem to find the thread, but I remember the topic of carrying at Disney coming up once before. Maybe somebody who knows the specifics of it can clarify. If I remember though, due to zoning/request/something Disney was considered a municipality and because of that preemption applies.

    Please don't take that as a matter of fact, because as you can tell it lacks cites. I under stand forum rules, and that It was a very vague statement, but it's all I can really remember. I merely post to possibly spike the memory of somebody who possibly knows more.
    Last edited by MagiK_SacK; 08-06-2013 at 01:46 PM.
    .45 ACP - Because shooting twice is silly

    A cop pulled me over and said, "Papers..." So I said "Scissors, I win!" and drove away.

  5. #5
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Carry on. Disney does not have metal detectors and the only searches they conduct are of bags people bring in with them, and even those are minimal searches.

    Being as Florida is a state where "no-gun" signs are pointless, I say carry your firearm if you wish. I will say that if they learn that you are carrying then you will be asked to leave. They don't allow LEOSA officers to carry either, but I believe they will allow them to lock their firearms inside of their security office. They will not give this same treatment to non-LEOSA individuals from what I have HEARD.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by MagiK_SacK View Post
    I can't seem to find the thread, but I remember the topic of carrying at Disney coming up once before. Maybe somebody who knows the specifics of it can clarify. If I remember though, due to zoning/request/something Disney was considered a municipality and because of that preemption applies.

    Please don't take that as a matter of fact, because as you can tell it lacks cites. I under stand forum rules, and that It was a very vague statement, but it's all I can really remember. I merely post to possibly spike the memory of somebody who possibly knows more.
    Disney (the parks) are private property, period. Preemption does not apply to them. Just like any other private property, they can set rules (not law) concerning what folks can bring onto their property.

    What you might be referring to is the Reedy Creek Improvement District (including the cities of Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake). A special taxing district that the State created to allow Disney property owners to establish a form of government. But it's really no different than other municipalities, other than their very strict building and fire codes that are different than most everywhere else. Also the enabling legislation specifically prohibited them from establishing law enforcement, that's is why they contract much though the Orange County SO.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Carry on. Disney does not have metal detectors and the only searches they conduct are of bags people bring in with them, and even those are minimal searches.

    Being as Florida is a state where "no-gun" signs are pointless, I say carry your firearm if you wish. I will say that if they learn that you are carrying then you will be asked to leave. They don't allow LEOSA officers to carry either, but I believe they will allow them to lock their firearms inside of their security office. They will not give this same treatment to non-LEOSA individuals from what I have HEARD.
    Depends. I know of a few folks that were permitted to lock their handguns up in the security office. I also know of a director of the FDLE that was required to remove his weapon from the property all together! I guess his attitude ("I'm a director of the FDLE! You cannot prohibit me from carrying my firearm here!") got him the boot!

  8. #8
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005
    I OCed at downtown Disney. It happened to be cold and I was seeing a movie. Once I sat down I removed my jacket, no one saw lol.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    You can google for answers.

    The main concern is that Georgia doesn't honor Va carry permits. You can get an out-of-state permit in Va, through Pennsylvania, which last time I checked, is honored by Georgia. Used to be people got Utah permits, but they started dropping states.

    --snipped--

    If you stay on 95, gas up before going through Georgia and don't get out of the car or brandish, the Federal transport laws will give you some coverage. It might take 3-4 months to get the PA permit and double check the coverage - states are changing their permissions.

    Good luck!
    Newell711 is not from Virginia. He is from West Virginia, although they do not have reciprosity with Georgia either

    He may legally keep his carry his gun while in his vehicle traveling through GA.
    "In Georgia, the right to possess a firearm in a home, vehicle, or place of business does not require a license. See O.C.G.A. §§ 16 11 126 and 16 11"
    http://law.ga.gov/opinion/2005-3-0

    Further, if applying the terms of Firearms Protection Act (aka McClure Volkmer Act of 1986) he may freely stop for gas and restroom breaks. I also contend that food and overnight accommodations are legal, though others disagree on the latter point. Note that the law states "transport a firearm", it does not state non-stop. Imagine if you will driving from Maine to New Mexico w/o a permit and not stopping for rest/sleep.
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Mas49.56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    309
    The only change to my routine at the Disney resort and parks was to tighten up my retention screw more than normal on the rollercoaster day. And I left my pistol in the room safe on the waterpark day. Walking around with a wet shirt printing and all would be a bad idea. Have a good time! Security is a joke, if you get caught you are doing it very very wrong.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Mas49.56 View Post
    The only change to my routine at the Disney resort and parks was to tighten up my retention screw more than normal on the rollercoaster day. And I left my pistol in the room safe on the waterpark day. Walking around with a wet shirt printing and all would be a bad idea. Have a good time! Security is a joke, if you get caught you are doing it very very wrong.
    If you are referring to the obviously visible security, yeah it's pretty much security theater for public consumption. However, there is a whole other facet to Disney security that very few people get to see.

  12. #12
    Regular Member newell711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Newell wv
    Posts
    24
    thank you all for your input. I have been trying to research the laws for the states that I will be going through. I have also thought of getting an out of state permit that georgia honors, but I don't know. I know the kids are getting excited to go there. thanks again.

  13. #13
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    Depends. I know of a few folks that were permitted to lock their handguns up in the security office. I also know of a director of the FDLE that was required to remove his weapon from the property all together! I guess his attitude ("I'm a director of the FDLE! You cannot prohibit me from carrying my firearm here!") got him the boot!
    As it should have. I can't stand it when people believe they are a higher class of person just because they possess a badge.

    That is good to know though. I had always "heard" that they wouldn't allow storage.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •