Thread: OT: Interesting and surprising LEO stop... (video too)

OT: Interesting and surprising LEO stop... (video too)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS7VGE8l4pM
    I was stopped a couple days ago while riding my bike on the sidewalk without the light on (the legal technicalities are explained in the video) and I had what for me was a very unusual LEO stop.
    First of all, lights are not required on the sidewalk, and I told the officer that (actually read it off of a paper when he asked for ID.)
    So of course he ordered "come with me" and told me to put my hands on the car and asked if I had weapons. I answered in the affirmative, and he took them but didn't handcuff me. Even after I told him I didn't have ID and wouldn't tell him who I was, he didn't handcuff me (that usually happens when I do that.) He called me a ******* though.
    But even as I was arguing with him over fine points of title 46 and why I didn't have to do this or that, I was never restrained and he actually let me pull my papers out and read them and show them to him, which he actually looked and read. A lot of the quiet parts of the video are when he was reading the papers I gave him. Even when he disagreed about the differences of state preemption in title 46 (RCW46.08.020 ..."no local authority shall enact or enforce any law, ordinance, rule or regulation in conflict with the provisions of this title except and unless expressly authorized by law to do so and any laws, ordinances, rules or regulations in conflict with the provisions of this title are hereby declared to be invalid and of no effect") and I basically challenged him to cite me, he declined. He told me I "intrigued" him, and that he was learning something.

All in all, it was a relatively positive experience. Other instances when I've been detained by my local PD haven't gone so well. (i have video of several other detentions that didn't go well that I haven't put on youtube).
    Last edited by 509rifas; 08-07-2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: clarification

Epic Fail!! Consent much? Should of titled video "Ben Dover schools cops on bicycle laws ,forgets Bill of Rights" Be Safe
    "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Positive?

How is it positive when you are going lawfully about your life and you are interrupted by the threat of violence to comply to a state agents demands.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Sidewalk bicycling is illegal in more jurisdictions than not. First it falls under state law, prohibited or not, and then political subdivisions may be allowed further regulation beyond the state vehicle code, just as with firearms.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Sidewalk bicycling is illegal in more jurisdictions than not. First it falls under state law, prohibited or not, and then political subdivisions may be allowed further regulation beyond the state vehicle code, just as with firearms.

Lots depends on what state its in 50 states 50 different laws. many times it is up to the locals to have ordinance against it.

That could mean tens of thousands of different ordinances that could or could not allow some type of riding on side walks.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

"The best way to not be detained, is not be a *******."

What?

Banned
    "I'm not a sovereign citizen" oh boy, why not tell them you are not a catholic too ...

I typically would put any interaction in which I am disarmed in the 'Not Positive' encounter category, perhaps that's just me.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Lots depends on what state its in 50 states 50 different laws. many times it is up to the locals to have ordinance against it.

That could mean tens of thousands of different ordinances that could or could not allow some type of riding on side walks.
    This is a WA thread, so we are not talking about any other states.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

I believe I have mispoken.
    To clarify, I meant "positive" as far as being detained goes. That incident was my nicest detention ever. I get "contacted" pretty regularly by LEOs, have been cuffed twice this year for "matching the description" etc.
    In spite of what was clearly an unlawful detetion, I was still impressed that I was able to speak in complete sentences without interruption, that is rare in my experience. That was more of what the "positive" comment was about.

It was a positive experience

You did a great job!! At the end of the encounter, the LEO learned something. Any member of this forum who responds citing imperfections in what you did is, in my opinion, overlooking the bigger picture. Keep up the good work; you are an asset to our cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus42 View Post
    Epic Fail!! Consent much? Should of titled video "Ben Dover schools cops on bicycle laws ,forgets Bill of Rights" Be Safe
    You have videos of you doing it correctly don't you?

fjpro2a
    It was a positive experience

You did a great job!! At the end of the encounter, the LEO learned something. Any member of this forum who responds citing imperfections in what you did is, in my opinion, overlooking the bigger picture. Keep up the good work; you are an asset to our cause.
    Thank you!
    However, I do think the internet is definitely the place for looking at things afterwards and constructive criticism. I believe I am my own worst critic, every time after an encounter ends I immediately think of a dozen things I should have done different. Most mean well. I really can't stand those youtube comment freedom fighters who've probably never even been detained before.

I have to say, I'm continually amazed that many, if not most LEOs do not know the law (at least in specific areas), do not know how to do their job.

Either that or they're lying, hoping citizens don't know it.

Whichever it is, it's nothing to be proud of, IMO.

Good job on the part of the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    I typically would put any interaction in which I am disarmed in the 'Not Positive' encounter category, perhaps that's just me.
    I dunno, maybe if the cop felt really bad and gave me $1000, I might let it be "positive" in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    I dunno, maybe if the cop felt really bad and gave me $1000, I might let it be "positive" in the end.
    I ALWAYS think it better to fight and win than never have to fight at all, but that's just me.