• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Interesting and surprising LEO stop... (video too)

509rifas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS7VGE8l4pM
I was stopped a couple days ago while riding my bike on the sidewalk without the light on (the legal technicalities are explained in the video) and I had what for me was a very unusual LEO stop.
First of all, lights are not required on the sidewalk, and I told the officer that (actually read it off of a paper when he asked for ID.)
So of course he ordered "come with me" and told me to put my hands on the car and asked if I had weapons. I answered in the affirmative, and he took them but didn't handcuff me. Even after I told him I didn't have ID and wouldn't tell him who I was, he didn't handcuff me (that usually happens when I do that.) He called me a jackass though.
But even as I was arguing with him over fine points of title 46 and why I didn't have to do this or that, I was never restrained and he actually let me pull my papers out and read them and show them to him, which he actually looked and read. A lot of the quiet parts of the video are when he was reading the papers I gave him. Even when he disagreed about the differences of state preemption in title 46 (RCW46.08.020 ..."no local authority shall enact or enforce any law, ordinance, rule or regulation in conflict with the provisions of this title except and unless expressly authorized by law to do so and any laws, ordinances, rules or regulations in conflict with the provisions of this title are hereby declared to be invalid and of no effect") and I basically challenged him to cite me, he declined. He told me I "intrigued" him, and that he was learning something.

All in all, it was a relatively positive experience. Other instances when I've been detained by my local PD haven't gone so well. (i have video of several other detentions that didn't go well that I haven't put on youtube).

Last edited:

Tacitus42

Epic Fail!! Consent much? Should of titled video "Ben Dover schools cops on bicycle laws ,forgets Bill of Rights" Be Safe

sudden valley gunner

Positive? :rolleyes:

How is it positive when you are going lawfully about your life and you are interrupted by the threat of violence to comply to a state agents demands.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Sidewalk bicycling is illegal in more jurisdictions than not. First it falls under state law, prohibited or not, and then political subdivisions may be allowed further regulation beyond the state vehicle code, just as with firearms.

Lots depends on what state its in 50 states 50 different laws. many times it is up to the locals to have ordinance against it.

That could mean tens of thousands of different ordinances that could or could not allow some type of riding on side walks.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I typically would put any interaction in which I am disarmed in the 'Not Positive' encounter category, perhaps that's just me.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Lots depends on what state its in 50 states 50 different laws. many times it is up to the locals to have ordinance against it.

That could mean tens of thousands of different ordinances that could or could not allow some type of riding on side walks.

This is a WA thread, so we are not talking about any other states.

509rifas

I believe I have mispoken.
To clarify, I meant "positive" as far as being detained goes. That incident was my nicest detention ever. I get "contacted" pretty regularly by LEOs, have been cuffed twice this year for "matching the description" etc.
In spite of what was clearly an unlawful detetion, I was still impressed that I was able to speak in complete sentences without interruption, that is rare in my experience. That was more of what the "positive" comment was about.

fjpro2a

It was a positive experience

You did a great job!! At the end of the encounter, the LEO learned something. Any member of this forum who responds citing imperfections in what you did is, in my opinion, overlooking the bigger picture. Keep up the good work; you are an asset to our cause.

509rifas

Epic Fail!! Consent much? Should of titled video "Ben Dover schools cops on bicycle laws ,forgets Bill of Rights" Be Safe
You have videos of you doing it correctly don't you?

fjpro2a
It was a positive experience

You did a great job!! At the end of the encounter, the LEO learned something. Any member of this forum who responds citing imperfections in what you did is, in my opinion, overlooking the bigger picture. Keep up the good work; you are an asset to our cause.
Thank you!
However, I do think the internet is definitely the place for looking at things afterwards and constructive criticism. I believe I am my own worst critic, every time after an encounter ends I immediately think of a dozen things I should have done different. Most mean well. I really can't stand those youtube comment freedom fighters who've probably never even been detained before.

Maverick9

I have to say, I'm continually amazed that many, if not most LEOs do not know the law (at least in specific areas), do not know how to do their job.

Either that or they're lying, hoping citizens don't know it.

Whichever it is, it's nothing to be proud of, IMO.

Good job on the part of the OP.