• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WA resident, couple questions about OR OC

OCbaldguy

This weekend i will be heading to Baker County. I will be traveling down I-82, then hitting I-84 to Baker City. I'm a WA CPL holder, so i can carry loaded in my car. My question is, upon crossing into Oregon, if i am open carrying on my right hip and it's partially concealed by the seat belt and the seat, is it legal to keep it loaded or should i not risk it and just remove the magazine and not have one chambered? Any recommended course of action? Locking it in a glove box i guess is an option as well, i just think it's kind of useless there.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

If your gun is Open Carried when you get in the car,
And still Open Carried when you get out of the car,
Then it was being Open Carried while you were in the car!

You know that Oregon doesnt honor the Washington CPL,
Sooo you know you cant Conceal Carry your gun there,
Sooo just be sure that your clothes do not conceal your gun.

OTOH Having ANY carry permit Exempts you from the loaded carry restrictions in the 6 special cities.

have fun,,, and say Hi to all my friends.

hermannr

Thanks and one last question. Is oregon a must notify state? Not planning to get pulled over but stuff happens.

Oregon is NOT a "must notify". BTW: I also agree, ORS 166.173(2)(c) states "a person with a permit to carry a concealed weapon" is exempt from those local governments that restrict LOADED OC under .173. ORS 166.173 (2)(d) specifically addresses the Oregon CHL, therefore it would be clear that (c) addresses exactly what it says...any concealed permit. The reason there is no court case to cite is there are not cases because it is not against the law. But as you are not going near Portland, the point is moot.

As a person that does not have an Oregon CHL just be aware of ORS 166.360 (their definition of public building..library, muni hall etc), and that without a CHL you may not enter a public building armed. OK.

ORS 166.250(3) specifically states a pistol carried openly in a holster on your hip is not subject to the restrictions in .250. If you carry that way, open carry like you would in WA, just don't go to the library (read .360), ok?

And, Oh yes.. Do NOT conceal in Oregon without an Oregon CHL. Do not do it!

Last edited:

OCbaldguy

Thank you. Not planning to conceal at all. Will be open on my hip whole drive.

Also will not be entering any public buildings, just a bi mart probably in Baker, and maybe a gas station.

Thank you again guys. Much appreciated.