• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Front yard BBQ.

casper

I want to have an open carry BBQ in my front yard, on the north side of Holland. Anyone interested let me know. I'm thinking sometime late Aug or early Sept on a Sat. Bring a dish to pass. I'm trying to see if there is enough interest for me to do it. If so I can get more detailed about it. :)

casper

Never mind. I guess I'll just have to buy an M.O.C T-shirt to show support.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

Not enough interest, sorry. I guess I'll hold down the Holland area by myself.:banana:
Something to consider............

For several years Yooperlady and myself held a 4th of July party in our backyard. We invited friends and neighbors and the invitation stated that openly carrying a gun was very much encouraged. Well... we had many people attend for several years including many of our neighbors.. some carried and some didn't... yet we all had a good feed and a very good time. Funny thing is.... our neighbors seem to now accept open carry with ease... not just my open carry but also when they see it in public.. and they certainly don't bat an eye if I show up at their house/visit in their house open carrying.

So... I guess what I really want to say is that it could be more effective to slant a front yard bar b que/party/cook out/get together to the non open carriers (perhaps even to the CC'ers and/or non carriers) in your circle of influence than it would be to just "preach to the choir" so to speak. After all... in order to gain new folks it is necessary to reach... new folks.

Sadly reverses in health put an end to those back yard parties. Although some of our neighbors occasionally mention how much fun they had.....

FreeInAZ

Something to consider............

For several years Yooperlady and myself held a 4th of July party in our backyard. We invited friends and neighbors and the invitation stated that openly carrying a gun was very much encouraged. Well... we had many people attend for several years including many of our neighbors.. some carried and some didn't... yet we all had a good feed and a very good time. Funny thing is.... our neighbors seem to now accept open carry with ease... not just my open carry but also when they see it in public.. and they certainly don't bat an eye if I show up at their house/visit in their house open carrying.

So... I guess what I really want to say is that it could be more effective to slant a front yard bar b que/party/cook out/get together to the non open carriers (perhaps even to the CC'ers and/or non carriers) in your circle of influence than it would be to just "preach to the choir" so to speak. After all... in order to gain new folks it is necessary to reach... new folks.

Sadly reverses in health put an end to those back yard parties. Although some of our neighbors occasionally mention how much fun they had.....

Well said Sir! +1 This makes me think of the days when I was single. Me and my friends would go to the typical places single people go to. I always made it my mission to talk to as many girls as possible (not hit on -talk). My friends would say "you've got nerve!" I would answer "no just making connections - even if a girl may not like me as anything other than a friend, she might have a friend that might.. ;) " That's how I met my wife.
:cool:

You can't get a date if you don't ask - just like you won't be able to let your neighbors know what a great, nice, responsible, friendly, outgoing guy you are, etc.. ect... if you don't give them a chance to see those things in you. Nothhing ventured = nothing gained ;)

Venture away good sir, venture away! :D

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

I mean this in the nicest way casper. You give up way too easy. Auto has said he would come if he can, (he is a good guy from my limited contact with him) and who knows, other might be more encouraged to attend also. Cross post on MGO/MOC / Facebook /.....Craigslist/Backpage (kidding on last two) but don't throw in the towel without giving it a fair chance. Make it a fun event and people will come. Doesn't cost a lot of money to have a good time. Been to some off the hook parties in southwest detroit as a kid. No one got hurt, everyone had fun and the neighbors would often attend. Fun is fun, try it , you'll be suprised. ;)

Raggs

I mean this in the nicest way casper. You give up way too easy. Auto has said he would come if he can, (he is a good guy from my limited contact with him) and who knows, other might be more encouraged to attend also. Cross post on MGO/MOC / Facebook /.....Craigslist/Backpage (kidding on last two) but don't throw in the towel without giving it a fair chance. Make it a fun event and people will come. Doesn't cost a lot of money to have a good time. Been to some off the hook parties in southwest detroit as a kid. No one got hurt, everyone had fun and the neighbors would often attend. Fun is fun, try it , you'll be suprised. ;)

I agree, make a date, If you want ask Auto what day would be good, invite your neighbors, friends, loved ones. Cross post on the other pages as Free suggested. If I am free I would come.