• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traffic Accident in Springfield while OC

HYRYSC

Just a brief rundown of a recent experience.

My two boys and had just got done doing some shopping at Basspro and we were heading out on Campbell when a truck veered over into my lane of traffic striking me. As my luck usually has it, the driver had no insurance and had a revoked drivers license (sigh).

I, of course, called the police to help do my part to ensure that this guy didn't have the chance to do the same to someone else.

When the police arrived, I was already out of my vehicle taking pictures of both vehicles etc. As the officer was completing the paperwork for the accident he noticed my firearm and asked my why I was packing. I told him that I always carry, but go back and forth between open carry and concealed depending on the circumstances. He never took his eye's off his paperwork and just said, no worries, just wondering, its your right. He then said that he would make the other officers aware to make sure that there was no surprise on their part.

No big deal.

fjpro2a

Semi big deal

Maybe not a big deal, as you say, but this shows we are making progress. I like this encounter you had.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I, of course, called the police to help do my part to ensure that this guy didn't have the chance to do the same to someone else.

You are so innocent .... he's driving around right now ... which would be fine if he was financially responsible.

I'm sure a chk is in the mail.;)

I've been hit by a 90 yr old guy in a 1973 caddy ... caused some damage ...he had no license, no insurance. I wished him a good day...ya cannot get blood from a turnip

Nice to see one cop who did not call swat on you :banana:

Superlite27

I bumped into the rear of a Mustang that stopped short on me while exiting a gas station in Troy, MO several weeks ago. As luck would have it, there was a squad car with a speeder pulled over across the road. I jogged over (OC'ing) and requested assistance. The officer called another unit, and one soon arrived who was also carrying a 1911 in a thigh rig. (his was a Kimber, mine a Springfield). Soon, the officer across the road walked over and spoke with the one handling my incident, but it must have been "shop talk" because he left soon afterwards. After the police report and insurance exchange, the officer asked, "Do you always carry openly?" to which I answered, "Pretty much exclusively unless I enter a municipality where it's illegal.".

All he said was, "Hmmmmm." and told me to have a good day.

As he headed back to his car, I asked, "What? No ticket?". To which he replied, "Nope. Not neccessary.", and left.

Of course, pretty much all law enforcement in the surrounding counties is pretty well informed on OC. But this is how encounters are supposed to work for everyone.

As many negative encounters we read about, things still have to be getting better when cops are learning to simply treat us like the rest of the citizenry.

cirrusly

As luck would have it, I was driving to a gun show (Nation Gun Show in Chantilly, VA) a week and a half ago and was OCing. I was making a left turn and struck the rear of a utility/ work truck.

I kindly offered my insurance information repeatedly. However, the driver didn't want it, (fine by me, as I was obviously the one at fault!) Messed up my Audi pretty good though.

I don't think he even noticed my G26 on the left hip. Goes to show if you don't draw attention to your weapon, it's rare anyone will care, or even notice.

Superlite27

^ +1

The lady and her daughter that I hit got out to look at the rear of her car. Upon seeing my firearm, she asked, "Are you a cop?".

To which I replied, "No,ma'am.".

....and then we all went about our business without so much as a raised eyebrow.

So much for "frightening the sheeple". Out of all encounters, I personally believe this was one of my best.

Why?

Here we have a random 3rd party who isn't "invested" in the personal interaction. She didn't approach me with an "agenda", but notices that I'm armed. She (and her high school aged daughter) discover that i am a private citizen carrying a firearm, and we all interact, without comment, with law enforcement.

What else could her, and her daughter take away from this encounter other than "people other than police are perfectly acceptable carrying guns because we just saw a person carry a gun in front of the police and they didn't even make a remark about it?".

cirrusly

^ +1

The lady and her daughter that I hit got out to look at the rear of her car. Upon seeing my firearm, she asked, "Are you a cop?".

To which I replied, "No,ma'am.".

....and then we all went about our business without so much as a raised eyebrow.

So much for "frightening the sheeple". Out of all encounters, I personally believe this was one of my best.

Why?

Here we have a random 3rd party who isn't "invested" in the personal interaction. She didn't approach me with an "agenda", but notices that I'm armed. She (and her high school aged daughter) discover that i am a private citizen carrying a firearm, and we all interact, without comment, with law enforcement.

What else could her, and her daughter take away from this encounter other than "people other than police are perfectly acceptable carrying guns because we just saw a person carry a gun in front of the police and they didn't even make a remark about it?".

Great OC encounter, minus the fender bender!

davidmcbeth

Banned
As luck would have it, I was driving to a gun show (Nation Gun Show in Chantilly, VA) a week and a half ago and was OCing. I was making a left turn and struck the rear of a utility/ work truck.

I kindly offered my insurance information repeatedly. However, the driver didn't want it, (fine by me, as I was obviously the one at fault!) Messed up my Audi pretty good though.

I don't think he even noticed my G26 on the left hip. Goes to show if you don't draw attention to your weapon, it's rare anyone will care, or even notice.

A lady rear ended me at walmart during lunch (minor crack in plastic bumper cover ~ I really did not care) but she insisted on having a cop called. Waited ... 1/2 hr later cop talks to her then comes over to me & I ask him "what's the verdict?" he says "she's at fault, you have anything to add"..."nope" was my reply.

Had same insurance company ~ she got the "insurance ding" and I got a check for $700. Expensive 1/2 hr lady ~ I was willing just to have her agree to pay more attention and let it go. I'm sure the lady paid her deductible and learned a valuable lesson: if you are at fault and the injured party says "forget it" then you should forget it.

cirrusly

A lady rear ended me at walmart during lunch (minor crack in plastic bumper cover ~ I really did not care) but she insisted on having a cop called. Waited ... 1/2 hr later cop talks to her then comes over to me & I ask him "what's the verdict?" he says "she's at fault, you have anything to add"..."nope" was my reply.

Had same insurance company ~ she got the "insurance ding" and I got a check for $700. Expensive 1/2 hr lady ~ I was willing just to have her agree to pay more attention and let it go. I'm sure the lady paid her deductible and learned a valuable lesson: if you are at fault and the injured party says "forget it" then you should forget it.

Agreed. However, it is wise to ask several times:

-"Are you hurt? / is anyone injured?"
-"Do you want my insurance information?"

This minimizes the likelihood of the driver making a false claim in the days following the accident.

Hence, why I inquired several times.

At the same time, given I was the "at fault" party, I definitely wanted to be on my way ASAP and not have police intervention.

Redbaron007

Just a brief rundown of a recent experience.

My two boys and had just got done doing some shopping at Basspro and we were heading out on Campbell when a truck veered over into my lane of traffic striking me. As my luck usually has it, the driver had no insurance and had a revoked drivers license (sigh).

When the police arrived, I was already out of my vehicle taking pictures of both vehicles etc. As the officer was completing the paperwork for the accident he noticed my firearm and asked my why I was packing. I told him that I always carry, but go back and forth between open carry and concealed depending on the circumstances. He never took his eye's off his paperwork and just said, no worries, just wondering, its your right. He then said that he would make the other officers aware to make sure that there was no surprise on their part.

No big deal.

Glad to hear the experience was lackluster. There are still a small minority of SFPD who are not real keen on OCing. Most of the older/experienced LEOs are pretty good with it. Most of the newer LEOs are adjusting.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Agreed. However, it is wise to ask several times:

-"Are you hurt? / is anyone injured?"
-"Do you want my insurance information?"

This minimizes the likelihood of the driver making a false claim in the days following the accident.

Hence, why I inquired several times.

At the same time, given I was the "at fault" party, I definitely wanted to be on my way ASAP and not have police intervention.

It would be even better to have an audio/video type recording of this exchange archived to defend FALSE accusations, assuming such is not illegal in your location.

cirrusly

It what jurisdictions is an audio/video recorder illegal? Seems like that would be an unconstitutional law.

JoeSparky

Centurion
It what jurisdictions is an audio/video recorder illegal? Seems like that would be an unconstitutional law.

To AVOID suggesting one do what IS illegal per my understanding in some jurisdictions and not knowing this particular status in Missouri I put in the disclaimer.

In my State of residence to record is a "one party consent" state and IF I am a party in the conversation/discussion/argument/communication I will obviously give myself consent.

Some States have made it illegal per statute to record audio/video without the consent of ALL parties. Not saying it would pass constitutional muster, just that the statute would seem to make it illegal. Some States have even MISAPPLIED or used poorly worded anti-wiretapping laws in a effort to criminalize such simple and NOT COVERT recording actions even of public officials in public!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Boba Fett

Glad to hear the experience was lackluster. There are still a small minority of SFPD who are not real keen on OCing. Most of the older/experienced LEOs are pretty good with it. Most of the newer LEOs are adjusting.

I used to have a friend in the SPD who thought it was funny to profile OCers and intimidate them into surrendering their weapons to him. He also claimed his paycheck wasn't big enough (even though his residence certainly was!)

Ya just never know.

BOT, I've often wondered about the traffic incident issue, and I'm surprised to hear so many stories, and very happy to see that they're all positive thus far!

kylemoul

I used to have a friend in the SPD who thought it was funny to profile OCers and intimidate them into surrendering their weapons to him. He also claimed his paycheck wasn't big enough (even though his residence certainly was!)

Ya just never know.

BOT, I've often wondered about the traffic incident issue, and I'm surprised to hear so many stories, and very happy to see that they're all positive thus far!

i would of told him to sit on a cactus!