• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Hiroshima Myth

carolina guy

WW2 ended May 8, 1945, and there is no exact date in the mid 40's the depression ended. Like I said in a previous post, when my grandfather returned home from Europe he was approved for a house loan and built his own house. Would that of happened before the war? No, so our economy must have been a lot better meaning the depression was over.

The GI Bill (passed in 1944) with the $0 down payment and low interest loans was likely more responsible for your Grandfather getting a home loan than any "economic recovery".

77zach

Fact: it's impossible to end a depression, or to improve an economy, by increasing redistribution of wealth to nonproductive sectors.

Fact: while defense spending may (or may not) be necessary, to whatever extent it goes beyond that demanded by normal market conditions it is definitionally non-value-adding and therefore effectively nonproductive.

Therefore, it is impossible for WWII to have ended the depression. QED.

Remember, correlation does not imply causation.

If you want to look at it another way, consider how many nations have been driven to bankruptcy by their wars. In fact, the only way to profit from war at all is to plunder from your defeated foes.

But Lord Obama says he can make wealth, ex nihilo!

WW2 was the death knell for freedom in the U.S, the the republic ending in 1868.

77zach

Ok maybe not of Hitler himself but of Hitler's fascism.

In a letter to Hitler from FDR....."should you agree to a solution in this peaceful manner I am convinced that hundreds of millions throughout the world would recognize your action as an outstanding historic service to all humanity.

It was something he was striving for here too.

FDR embraced all of the communist planks. He loved Adolf, but "Uncle Joe" had a special place in his heart.

Deanimator

Ok maybe not of Hitler himself but of Hitler's fascism.

In a letter to Hitler from FDR....."should you agree to a solution in this peaceful manner I am convinced that hundreds of millions throughout the world would recognize your action as an outstanding historic service to all humanity.

It was something he was striving for here too.
Roosevelt was supplying the British when Germany and the Soviet Union were still allies.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
WW2 ended May 8, 1945, and there is no exact date in the mid 40's the depression ended. Like I said in a previous post, when my grandfather returned home from Europe he was approved for a house loan and built his own house. Would that of happened before the war? No, so our economy must have been a lot better meaning the depression was over.

That would be September 2, 1945.

SouthernBoy

Actually we are both wrong, August 15, 1945. I posted the date Germany surrendered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II

No, the end of WWII was as I stated; September 2, 1945. That was when the formal surrender document was signed by the remaining warring parties. August 15 was when Japan agreed to the American terms and hostilities ceased. But the actual end of the war was September 2.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The GI Bill (passed in 1944) with the $0 down payment and low interest loans was likely more responsible for your Grandfather getting a home loan than any "economic recovery".

+1

One cannot possibly have an economic recovery by manufacturing vast amounts of war materiel.

In fact, the tale is told by the ration booklets, the shortages of rubber, butter, beef, gasoline, and the complete suspension of manufacturing of civilian automobiles.

I recall some of my grandparents old magazines. Hamilton watch company ran ads saying they would resume making watches after the war--their factory(ies) were converted to making time fuzes for artillery shells.

Almost forgotten is that the US mint briefly made nickels out of silver because nickel was needed for armor plate and other war production. The silver nickels included an "s" on the back above the Monticello dome. The treasury weeded them out and melted them down after the war, but a few still exist in collectors hands, commanding a very high price at auction.

The statement that WWII ended the depression is an outright lie.

If anything, WWII continued the decline by setting up Bretton Woods--the agreement among the major powers that the dollar would become the reserve currency of the world. It was unworkable from day one--one group of economists said so. That agreement declined until 197(1?)* when Nixon took the US off the gold standard, at which point Bretton Woods was pretty much dead.

The US and world economy has been on a steady decline since then. This is not to say the decline started then--it actually started in 11913 with the fedgov charter for the privately owned Federal Reserve system.

*Nixon's televised statement that he was cancelling the ability of foreign banks to redeem dollars in gold is on YouTube. He says that interests inimical to the US were cashing in dollars for gold too fast, threatening financial stability in the US. Sounds great. Until you ask one question: who printed so many dollars that there wasn't enough gold to back them? The dollar was supposed to be backed by gold. Who printed more dollars than there was gold to back them?

Last edited:

OneForAll

No, the end of WWII was as I stated; September 2, 1945. That was when the formal surrender document was signed by the remaining warring parties. August 15 was when Japan agreed to the American terms and hostilities ceased. But the actual end of the war was September 2.

If Japan did not agree until the 15th, then why would they sign anything? I posted a link, where is one backing what you are saying?

EMNofSeattle

+1

One cannot possibly have an economic recovery by manufacturing vast amounts of war materiel.

you can have pne when you're the only power with an untouched industrial base and an entire planet of rubble that wants financing and new goods to replace those destroyed....

the broken window fallacy is not a fallacy to the guy getting the check to replace the window...

carolina guy

you can have pne when you're the only power with an untouched industrial base and an entire planet of rubble that wants financing and new goods to replace those destroyed....

the broken window fallacy is not a fallacy to the guy getting the check to replace the window...

Even by the simple measure of GDP, the US economy actually contracted after 1945...not the signs of a recovery by any means.

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com...011mcn__US_Gross_Domestic_Product_GDP_History

eye95

Weren't some of the treaties ending WWII signed in the 90s? IIRC, Germany was technically still "occupied" until then.

OC for ME

Japan has acknowledged, sort of. Also, Russian controls some of the northern islands of Japanese island chain, the Kuril Islands. This territorial dispute technically means that Japan and Russia are still at war, WWII, that is.
Bureaucratic hostilities if you will. There are wars and then there are "wars."

SouthernBoy

If Japan did not agree until the 15th, then why would they sign anything? I posted a link, where is one backing what you are saying?

All over the place. Books, links, films, news paper reports, etc. The surrender was signed on the deck of the USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay.

This is not meant to insult you my friend for I would never do that intentionally without good reason, but I must ask. Didn't your primary and secondary schools teach this? I went through the Falls Church city school system in the 50's and into the 60's when a public education in Virginia was something to behold as valuable and I can well recall viewing movies (I showed many) in my high school, plus lectures in World History, covering WWII. In 1962, WWII was only 17 years in the past so we learned it well.

That and the many books and films I have viewed over the years on the topic. While Japan agreed to cease hostilities in mid August, she didn't sign the implement of surrender until September.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrender_of_Japan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5MMVd5XOK8

Last edited:

OCbaldguy

One cannot simply stay out of a war while helping other countries fight a war. We were in WW2 long before Pearl Harbor was attacked.

I agree that there is a perpetual lie surrounding the dropping of both bombs and that both were unnecessary. I've come upon references to this fact a few times. It makes no sense that Japan agreed to surrender on one condition (Emperor stays in place), were denied, the bombs were dropped, then that same surrender was accepted. The war mongers wanted to play with a new toy and have little regard for common life.