• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starbucks Appreciation Day Newtown

Adam Cook

Many CCDL members are planning on showing Starbucks support in Newtown tomorrow. Of course as soon as we started talking about it, many websites started denouncing the move as "Classless" and it hit local papers and TV news hours after we'd decided to go.

Show your support for the 2A in Newtown tomorrow at Starbucks: 34 Church Hill Road, Newtown, CT between 6:30pm-8:00pm, by OCing if you're comfortable doing so and paying with 2 dollar bills.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What I find insensitive is that supposedly intelligent people equate honest, responsible, law abiding people with those that would attack children.

Would prefer that 2 from this site have been at that school, than 50 of "sensitive" ones.

I think the message we send is "Not on my watch."

Rich B

I have said it many times before: Starbucks is not 'pro-gun' or 'pro-OC'. They are neutral and keep asking to not be put in the middle of these issues.

This is a great way to get Starbucks to change their mind and institute a policy per their Connecticut District Manager who explicitly asked to be left out of these matters.

November 2, 2010

Dear Mr. Burgess:

As we spoke on the phone today I wanted to personally welcome you back into our Starbucks location in Old Saybrook, CT as well as all of our locations. I have included our position on carrying guns in our stores below.

Again I apologize for the treatment from our Baristas to you and want to thank you for taking the time to speak with me today.

Starbucks Position on Open Carry Gun Laws
(updated March 16, 2010)

We recognize that there is significant and genuine passion surrounding the issue of open carry weapons laws. Advocacy groups from both sides of this issue have chosen to use Starbucks as a way to draw attention to their positions.

While we deeply respect the views of all our customers, Starbucks long-standing approach to this issue remains unchanged. We comply with local laws and statutes in all the communities we serve. That means we abide by the laws that permit open carry in 43 U.S. states. Where these laws don’t exist, openly carrying weapons in our stores is prohibited. The political, policy and legal debates around these issues belong in the legislatures and courts, not in our stores.

At the same time, we have a security protocol for any threatening situation that might occur in our stores. Partners are trained to call law enforcement as situations arise. We will continuously review our procedures to ensure the highest safety guidelines are in place and we will continue to work closely with law enforcement.

We have examined this issue through the lens of partner (employee) and customer safety. Were we to adopt a policy different from local laws allowing open carry, we would be forced to require our partners to ask law abiding customers to leave our stores, putting our partners in an unfair and potentially unsafe position.

As the public debate continues, we are asking all interested parties to refrain from putting Starbucks or our partners into the middle of this divisive issue. As a company, we are extremely sensitive to the issue of gun violence in our society. Our Starbucks family knows all too well the dangers that exist when guns are used irresponsibly and illegally. Without minimizing this unfortunate reality, we believe that supporting local laws is the right way for us to ensure a safe environment for both partners and customers.
Sincerely,
Alison Perreault

CT Barfly

Just goes to show you that even among OC'ers, there exist differences of opinion. If Starbuck's doesn't want to be a part of this, they should have that option. There are plenty of other businesses that are friendly (and unfriendly) that are willing to be a part of the discussion.

Can you imagine if you were asked to be a lightning rod for a political movement? It sounds like Starbuck's just wants to sling coffee, not become the poster-child for every coffee-drinking idiot's political cause. I support their neutral position and their wish to remain so.

Having OC protests at their shops...IN NEWTOWN...will only encourage them to distance themselves politically. Particularly if they have ASKED POLITELY to be left out.

Last edited:

CT Barfly

Is it true that while "many CCDL members" may do this, the CCDL itself is not officially behind this S.A.D. event?

While company policy is to respect the state law...state law also recognizes the property owner/manager/controller's right to ask OC customers to leave. I can see the manager asking these guys to leave tonite.

Private property owners' rights trump OC business invitee rights...if you're asked to leave, you'd better do so PDQ...no mouthing off, no standing firm or you can end up in jail.

Last edited:

Adam Cook

Just goes to show you that even among OC'ers, there exist differences of opinion. If Starbuck's doesn't want to be a part of this, they should have that option. There are plenty of other businesses that are friendly (and unfriendly) that are willing to be a part of the discussion.

Can you imagine if you were asked to be a lightning rod for a political movement? It sounds like Starbuck's just wants to sling coffee, not become the poster-child for every coffee-drinking idiot's political cause. I support their neutral position and their wish to remain so.

Having OC protests at their shops...IN NEWTOWN...will only encourage them to distance themselves politically. Particularly if they have ASKED POLITELY to be left out.

They have to say that for PR purposes. Do you know how much revenue we're going to dump in their laps today? They love it.

Who here went to public school? As a kid we learned early on, you have one group, you have a rival group; what happens when you try to remain neutral? Correct, both groups kick your ass. The difference here is that our group is very happy to patronize a neutral establishment while the grabbers... not so much. Who looks like the dick here?

As long as we remain respectful, and don't lean on Starbucks too hard, I believe we'll be enjoying coffee and guns for a long time.

And the Newtown thing was going to be a few locals showing up for Appreciation day. The grabbers and the media turned it into this whole big thing and now we all have to go to support our fellows in the face of an angry protest. Who here thinks backing down now is a good idea?

CT Barfly

They have to say that for PR purposes. Do you know how much revenue we're going to dump in their laps today? They love it.

Who here went to public school? As a kid we learned early on, you have one group, you have a rival group; what happens when you try to remain neutral? Correct, both groups kick your ass. The difference here is that our group is very happy to patronize a neutral establishment while the grabbers... not so much. Who looks like the dick here?

As long as we remain respectful, and don't lean on Starbucks too hard, I believe we'll be enjoying coffee and guns for a long time.

And the Newtown thing was going to be a few locals showing up for Appreciation day. The grabbers and the media turned it into this whole big thing and now we all have to go to support our fellows in the face of an angry protest. Who here thinks backing down now is a good idea?

There's a saying that comes to mind...something about battles and wars...i forget how it went.

Rich B

You were warned...

463772_570146543048774_1104629573_o.jpg

CT Barfly

Nevertheless, turnout was significant. The fact of the matter is that all sides in this debate have attempted to utilize the tragedy to advance their own political agendas. It's not like the Gov didn't pass the new law using the "momentum" from the tragedy.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Point Blank: the kids are dead, they don't care anymore and I don't care anymore. All in Newtown are now subject to PA13-3's BS ... and so are all others in this state to this infuriating law...a direct attack on all of our freedoms.

I never bought into the emotional hype that Newtown and politicians throughout the state whined about for (now going on 10 months?).

And then Newtown turned down improvements to security ... yet people still own the same guns, have the same bullets ... its shows the BS. It also shows that Newtown thinks our gun laws are fine, otherwise they would have voted for more security.

Children around the world, even in no-gun countries, get killed by random acts of violence.

People in Newtown are hypocrites. I would not spend 1 penny in that town...even their businesses are full of it.

Starbucks believe I should be sensitive to their community? Who are they to tell me who I to be sensitive about?

Freedom or sympathy? I'll pick freedom every time.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I have said it many times before: Starbucks is not 'pro-gun' or 'pro-OC'. They are neutral and keep asking to not be put in the middle of these issues.

This is a great way to get Starbucks to change their mind and institute a policy per their Connecticut District Manager who explicitly asked to be left out of these matters.

If Starbucks want to be left out of these matters then they should just operate their business and keep their nose out of things.

If they are not pro-gun/OC then they are against.

Last edited:

CT Barfly

If Starbucks want to be left out of these matters then they should just operate their business and keep their nose out of things.

If they are not pro-gun/OC then they are against.

I'm not sure I agree with the second sentence.

Starbuck's desires to be left out of the discussion...and both sides appear to be dragging them in. How would YOU like to be put on the spot on some issue that you don't want to be a part of?

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm not sure I agree with the second sentence.

Starbuck's desires to be left out of the discussion...and both sides appear to be dragging them in. How would YOU like to be put on the spot on some issue that you don't want to be a part of?

Well, they closed the store, didn't they? They took action. They refused to serve people who OCed. They made their opinion known even though they did not wish to.

These MOMMIES that are so set against guns need to learn history in that in countries where citizens cannot defend themselves from their own government, the government comes in and kill hundreds of thousands of children. Better 20 kids/every 20 yrs than hundreds of thousands over the same time period.

These MOMMIES make me want to puke on them. I wish my progeny to be able to stop killings, not be victims.

Last edited:

CTSurvivor

I typically stay out of highly controversial topics suck as this one.
However, it was a very classless and distasteful thing to do trying to drum up crowds to go out of their way to Newtown.
People should be ashamed of themselves.
We already caught sb1160 and wait until you see what happens when you keep poking the hornets nest.

Many 2nd amendment supporters seem to forget others 1st amendment rights and jump on anyone who opposes 2a carriers.

If these people keep up with this ignorant crap they will start finding no carry towns and cities such as in other parts of the country.

PALO

I feel empathy for Starbux position here. They want to sell coffee and they are totally cool with people carrying firearms consistent with local laws, but they don't want to be the epicenter of this debate or used as a symbol for pro-gun propaganda etc. That's just not their thang.

Starbux did us a proper by deciding the allow OCers and CCers and just have their policy be consistent with state law. WE RKBA'ers should give them some respect in return