Thread: Question on a overnight Portland Stay..

Question on a overnight Portland Stay..

I am heading to portland from Tacoma for a overnight stay with the GF, and wanted to know if I bring my gun (no oregon CHL yet) am I allowed to carry it in a case in my car with loaded magazines in the same case?

And what is considered legal carry in Oregon as regards to Knives and OC Spray?

Well,,,

thanx for your effort to look up the laws yourself...
    if you dont have ANY carry permit, you have to unload the mags, speed loaders and guns in Portland!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    thanx for your effort to look up the laws yourself...
    if you dont have ANY carry permit, you have to unload the mags, speed loaders and guns in Portland!
    I actually have tried but google'in and other things but got conflicting results.

I do have a Wa CPL which is why i wanted to know if I could have the mags loaded in the same case as the gun.

Re: Question on a overnight Portland Stay..

That's why you read the actual laws. ORS 166.x series.

----- Sent from my mobile phone.

Banned
    The 2nd Amendment says you can however, wherever you want. Local and State laws are in direct violation of the 2nd Amendment.

It's your own safety, choose to obey Unconstitutional Laws at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff. State View Post
    The 2nd Amendment says you can however, wherever you want. Local and State laws are in direct violation of the 2nd Amendment.

It's your own safety, choose to obey Unconstitutional Laws at your own risk.
    With Portland you need to read this: http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.173

Pay attention to ORS 166.173(2)(c)

As you have a CPL, you have a permit to carry a concealed weapon.... HOWEVER!!!!! remember, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES can you CC with an out of state license.

It would help is you read ORS 166.250 first. PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION to ORS 166.250(3)

Summery: Oregon has state preemption. HOWEVER, they allow local governments to restrict unlicensed LOADED OC. (that is what .173 is all about)

One of the exemptions to .173 is "(2)(c) has a license to carry a concealed weapon" This has nothing to do with concealed carry in Oregon...it only grants an exemption to ORS 166.173.

Also, read ORS 166.360-380. they are important for those that do not hold a CHL

Banned
    hermannr: No offense, but I don't recognize the anti constitutional garbage you cited from Oregon "law". I carry my loaded firearm how and where I want, as the Constitution stipulates. "Shall not be infringed"!

I do not have a CPL/CHL/etc. no where in the 2nd Amendment is the Govt. granted the power to give PERMISSION to citizens how and where they bear arms.
    Last edited by Jeff. State; 08-16-2013 at 12:15 AM.

I know that Oregon municipalities have the right to regulate loaded firearms, but where does PDX claim the authority to regulate loaded magazines?
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I know that Oregon municipalities have the right to regulate loaded firearms, but where does PDX claim the authority to regulate loaded magazines?
    Actually no they dont have that "right".

Somehow, "Shall not be infringed" has been completely ignored across this nation with the exception of now 5 States (AK, AR, AZ, VT, WY).

I really dont understand why gun owners continue the charade that the States, Feds., municipalities can INFRINGE on the 2nd Amendment??????
    Last edited by Jeff. State; 08-16-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff. State View Post
    Actually no they dont have that "right".

Somehow, "Shall not be infringed" has been completely ignored across this nation with the exception of now 5 States (AK, AR, AZ, VT, WY).

I really dont understand why gun owners continue the charade the States, Feds., municipalities can INFRINGE on the 2nd Amendment??????
    I agree, you should go open carry in downtown Newark, loaded, AR-15 and pistols, any charges will be dismissed because they infringe on your rights. go ahead....
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Re: Question on a overnight Portland Stay..

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    That part of the local law would be void by state preemption.

----- Sent from my mobile phone.