• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question on a overnight Portland Stay..

spikedzombies

I am heading to portland from Tacoma for a overnight stay with the GF, and wanted to know if I bring my gun (no oregon CHL yet) am I allowed to carry it in a case in my car with loaded magazines in the same case?

And what is considered legal carry in Oregon as regards to Knives and OC Spray?

spikedzombies

thanx for your effort to look up the laws yourself...
if you dont have ANY carry permit, you have to unload the mags, speed loaders and guns in Portland!

I actually have tried but google'in and other things but got conflicting results.

I do have a Wa CPL which is why i wanted to know if I could have the mags loaded in the same case as the gun.

Jeff. State

Banned
The 2nd Amendment says you can however, wherever you want. Local and State laws are in direct violation of the 2nd Amendment.

It's your own safety, choose to obey Unconstitutional Laws at your own risk.

hermannr

The 2nd Amendment says you can however, wherever you want. Local and State laws are in direct violation of the 2nd Amendment.

It's your own safety, choose to obey Unconstitutional Laws at your own risk.

With Portland you need to read this: http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.173

Pay attention to ORS 166.173(2)(c)

As you have a CPL, you have a permit to carry a concealed weapon.... HOWEVER!!!!! remember, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES can you CC with an out of state license.

It would help is you read ORS 166.250 first. PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION to ORS 166.250(3)

Summery: Oregon has state preemption. HOWEVER, they allow local governments to restrict unlicensed LOADED OC. (that is what .173 is all about)

One of the exemptions to .173 is "(2)(c) has a license to carry a concealed weapon" This has nothing to do with concealed carry in Oregon...it only grants an exemption to ORS 166.173.

Also, read ORS 166.360-380. they are important for those that do not hold a CHL

Jeff. State

Banned
hermannr: No offense, but I don't recognize the anti constitutional garbage you cited from Oregon "law". I carry my loaded firearm how and where I want, as the Constitution stipulates. "Shall not be infringed"!

I do not have a CPL/CHL/etc. no where in the 2nd Amendment is the Govt. granted the power to give PERMISSION to citizens how and where they bear arms.

Last edited:

Jeff. State

Banned
I know that Oregon municipalities have the right to regulate loaded firearms, but where does PDX claim the authority to regulate loaded magazines?

Actually no they dont have that "right".

Somehow, "Shall not be infringed" has been completely ignored across this nation with the exception of now 5 States (AK, AR, AZ, VT, WY).

I really dont understand why gun owners continue the charade that the States, Feds., municipalities can INFRINGE on the 2nd Amendment??????

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Actually no they dont have that "right".

Somehow, "Shall not be infringed" has been completely ignored across this nation with the exception of now 5 States (AK, AR, AZ, VT, WY).

I really dont understand why gun owners continue the charade the States, Feds., municipalities can INFRINGE on the 2nd Amendment??????

I agree, you should go open carry in downtown Newark, loaded, AR-15 and pistols, any charges will be dismissed because they infringe on your rights. go ahead....