Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheriff Joe Arpaio requires Deputy's to carry AR-15's 24/7

Sheriff Joe Arpaio requires Deputy's to carry AR-15's 24/7

I love this guy!!
    Joe Arpaio for president!

http://www.azfamily.com/home/Arpaio-...218918221.html

Re: Sheriff Joe Arpaio requires Deputy's to carry AR-15's 24/7

Awesome! Now the car crooks get a bonus AR-15 with the deputies car... Live in AZ, joe is many things to many people.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjcromp View Post
    I love this guy!!
    You might wanta look a little deeper into Joe Arpaio.

On the one hand he has a reputation as a tough law-and-order sorta guy. But, when you dig a little deeper you find he's not exactly a pillar of support for rights.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Putting aside stuff about Uncle Joe and his personality, this still comes out as a move with too many negative unintended consequences.

Off-duty cops and plain clothes cops responding to crime-in-progress situations are more likely to be shot than the BG. On-duty cop arrives knowing that there is at least one BG on the scene. BGs are often defined as those who are not cops in uniform who have a firearm in teir hand - regardless of where it is pointed. While the off-duty/plain clothes cop may have their badge displayed those things are pretty small to begin with and appear even smaller when the attention is focused on the firearm in hand as opposed to looking for a badge of office.

Somebody once had the bright idea of making off-duty/plain clothes cops easier to sort out from the BGs. http://www.dsmsafety.com/ccw.html The fact that they are no longr in business ought to tell you how well that idea panned out in real life. (Police, LEOSA, Security, and even CCW http://tacticaltupperware.com/?p=865 . Showed up as a flash in the pan, then faded into the vaults of firearms trivia as the answer to "What is stupider than ___?"

Going beyond the safety aspects of the issue is the HR nightmare that "on duty 24/7" policies create. Cops have an impressive history of court cases (local, statewide, federal appeals Circuits and even SCOTUS) dealing with the issue of just what activity is compensible - such as having to show up 30 minutes before the start of shift to attenf roll call, how long they can go without getting a meal break, determining what constitutes the "work week" for purposes of determining when they have to be paid overtime rates, howlong they can be forced to carry comp time without being allowed to use it, and how they get paid for unused comp time (straight time or overtime). Then comes my personal test for determining whether a cop was "on duty" or "off duty" - will they be covered for Workers Comp claims for injuries sustained when out of uniform and "off duty". For giggles, if a cop is "on duty 24/7" are there any limitations on activity, and if not, why not? (If the cop is on duty, shouldn't there be a policy saying they cannot drink alcoholic beverages? Without such a policy you could get a cop under the influence handling a firearm or making other life and death decisions while in a mentally impaired state. Would the department be liable for injuries or violations of rights committed "on duty" but under the influence? Would the cop be held criminally liable if there was a law against handling a firearm when under the influence?)

Uncle Joe got his hands on some converted military surplus M-16s and had to figure out a way to justify having them.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Are Police in America Now a Military Occupying Force? J.W. Whitehead, Rutherford Inst

I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

notice how azcentral calls THESE ARs "Assault Weapons", as they are being pushed by a Sheriff they would like OUT of office... but select fire M16s/M4s that the DHS, etc. carry are "Personal Defense Weapons"...

I love this guy!!

The Sheriff is a die hard drug warrior. He should not have the position he does.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    The Sheriff is a die hard drug warrior. He should not have the position he does.
    Sheriffs are elected, thus reflecting the will of the electorate constituency. It seems that you are OK with (your personal) tyranny as long as your tyrant is agreeable to you.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-09-2013 at 09:03 PM.

^^Ouch!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Sheriff's are elected, thus reflecting the will of the electorate constituency. It seems that you are OK with (your personal) tyranny as long as your tyrant is agreeable to you.

Not exactly sure how this post applies.

Here's a few thoughts from my perspective, majority rule is tyranny, sheriffs are constitutionally supposed to be restricted.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale View Post
    And what does this picture of bad cops from Kalifornia have to do with Sheriff Joe and Arizonia?

Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare
    Sheriff's [sic] are elected, thus reflecting the will of the electorate constituency. It seems that you are OK with (your personal) tyranny as long as your tyrant is agreeable to you.
    Not exactly sure how this post applies.
    Most of Doug's posts don't apply wherever they're posted.
    It's one reason why he's ignored by so many, under all of his names.

Banned
    I love this guy!!

why can he buy guns I cannot

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    why can he buy guns I cannot
    Maybe because he can get away with extorting money to pay for them?

These area AR-15s, not M-16s with Da Switch. Maybe you need to improve your relationship with the guy at the Sporting Goods department at Wal-Mart.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Most of Doug's posts don't apply wherever they're posted.
    That's actually decidedly untrue.

Most of Doug's posts are, however, intentionally obtuse. It's his style. I suspect it's a form of reverse-ignoring; his posts are intended only for those with the ability and willingness to deconstruct/decipher them.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

These area AR-15s, not M-16s with Da Switch. Maybe you need to improve your relationship with the guy at the Sporting Goods department at Wal-Mart.

stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    That's actually decidedly untrue. Most of Doug's posts are, however, intentionally obtuse. It's his style. I suspect it's a form of reverse-ignoring; his posts are intended only for those with the ability and willingness to deconstruct/decipher them.
    +1

An early lesson in writing, that he may have learned, is to write for one's intended audience.

Harbrace College Handbook, 11th, Section 33a; "Consider the purpose, audience, and occasion of your composition. [ ... ] Expository writing focusses the reader's attention upon the objective world ... rather than the writer's feelings or attitudes about them.

The final paragraph of the 'Purpose' subsection I have scribbled "liberal crap" from about fifteen years ago.

Banned

Sheriff Joe Arpaio requires Deputy's to carry AR-15's 24/7

stay safe.
    Yeah. If anyone is having trouble getting an AR-15, he ain't trying. Unless he is particularly picky, no one who comes in our place looking for an AR-15 walks out without one. If ARs stopped coming in again, we'd still have a two-month supply or more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    That's actually decidedly untrue.

Most of Doug's posts are, however, intentionally obtuse. It's his style. I suspect it's a form of reverse-ignoring; his posts are intended only for those with the ability and willingness to deconstruct/decipher them.
    I see, I get it now. Didn't realize who it was, and remember the style now.

I got to survive keeping my name after an encounter with that rogue mod.....

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Good for Joe.

Any tools he needs to get the job done is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_water View Post
    Good for Joe.

Any tools he needs to get the job done is fine by me.
    Tools when used government means infringement.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Tools when used government means infringement.
    I guess that would depend on what is being infringed.

If you mean infringing on the ability of criminals to run amok, then I can live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I got to survive keeping my name after an encounter with that rogue mod.....
    +1!

Banned

stay safe.
    Oh, I have the money .... in CT those are banned evil rifles ... our course that's the view of people who wish to control me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast