• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio requires Deputy's to carry AR-15's 24/7

FreeInAZ

Awesome! Now the car crooks get a bonus AR-15 with the deputies car... ;) Live in AZ, joe is many things to many people.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I love this guy!!
Joe Arpaio for president!

You might wanta look a little deeper into Joe Arpaio.

On the one hand he has a reputation as a tough law-and-order sorta guy. But, when you dig a little deeper you find he's not exactly a pillar of support for rights.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Putting aside stuff about Uncle Joe and his personality, this still comes out as a move with too many negative unintended consequences.

Off-duty cops and plain clothes cops responding to crime-in-progress situations are more likely to be shot than the BG. On-duty cop arrives knowing that there is at least one BG on the scene. BGs are often defined as those who are not cops in uniform who have a firearm in teir hand - regardless of where it is pointed. While the off-duty/plain clothes cop may have their badge displayed those things are pretty small to begin with and appear even smaller when the attention is focused on the firearm in hand as opposed to looking for a badge of office.

Somebody once had the bright idea of making off-duty/plain clothes cops easier to sort out from the BGs. http://www.dsmsafety.com/ccw.html The fact that they are no longr in business ought to tell you how well that idea panned out in real life. (Police, LEOSA, Security, and even CCW http://tacticaltupperware.com/?p=865 . Showed up as a flash in the pan, then faded into the vaults of firearms trivia as the answer to "What is stupider than ___?"

Going beyond the safety aspects of the issue is the HR nightmare that "on duty 24/7" policies create. Cops have an impressive history of court cases (local, statewide, federal appeals Circuits and even SCOTUS) dealing with the issue of just what activity is compensible - such as having to show up 30 minutes before the start of shift to attenf roll call, how long they can go without getting a meal break, determining what constitutes the "work week" for purposes of determining when they have to be paid overtime rates, howlong they can be forced to carry comp time without being allowed to use it, and how they get paid for unused comp time (straight time or overtime). Then comes my personal test for determining whether a cop was "on duty" or "off duty" - will they be covered for Workers Comp claims for injuries sustained when out of uniform and "off duty". For giggles, if a cop is "on duty 24/7" are there any limitations on activity, and if not, why not? (If the cop is on duty, shouldn't there be a policy saying they cannot drink alcoholic beverages? Without such a policy you could get a cop under the influence handling a firearm or making other life and death decisions while in a mentally impaired state. Would the department be liable for injuries or violations of rights committed "on duty" but under the influence? Would the cop be held criminally liable if there was a law against handling a firearm when under the influence?)

Uncle Joe got his hands on some converted military surplus M-16s and had to figure out a way to justify having them.

stay safe.

BriKuz

notice how azcentral calls THESE ARs "Assault Weapons", as they are being pushed by a Sheriff they would like OUT of office... but select fire M16s/M4s that the DHS, etc. carry are "Personal Defense Weapons"...

sudden valley gunner

Sheriff's are elected, thus reflecting the will of the electorate constituency. It seems that you are OK with (your personal) tyranny as long as your tyrant is agreeable to you.

:confused:

Not exactly sure how this post applies.

Here's a few thoughts from my perspective, majority rule is tyranny, sheriffs are constitutionally supposed to be restricted.

Yard Sale

article-2274956-176B0E40000005DC-864_638x425.jpg

MKEgal

sudden valley gunner said:
Nightmare said:
Sheriff's [sic] are elected, thus reflecting the will of the electorate constituency. It seems that you are OK with (your personal) tyranny as long as your tyrant is agreeable to you.
Not exactly sure how this post applies.
Most of Doug's posts don't apply wherever they're posted.
It's one reason why he's ignored by so many, under all of his names.

LarryM

Joe Arpaio is fighting a war against illegal intruders. Why shouldn't he have military-styled firearms in selective-fire mode? After all, the Mexican drug cartels outgun him and his deputies 10-1 anyway....thanks to Ovomit and his enforcer, Pretty Boy Holder....:mad:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
why can he buy guns I cannot :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Maybe because he can get away with extorting money to pay for them?

These area AR-15s, not M-16s with Da Switch. Maybe you need to improve your relationship with the guy at the Sporting Goods department at Wal-Mart.

stay safe.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Most of Doug's posts don't apply wherever they're posted.

That's actually decidedly untrue.

Most of Doug's posts are, however, intentionally obtuse. It's his style. I suspect it's a form of reverse-ignoring; his posts are intended only for those with the ability and willingness to deconstruct/decipher them.

eye95

Maybe because he can get away with extorting money to pay for them?

These area AR-15s, not M-16s with Da Switch. Maybe you need to improve your relationship with the guy at the Sporting Goods department at Wal-Mart.

stay safe.

Yeah. If anyone is having trouble getting an AR-15, he ain't trying. Unless he is particularly picky, no one who comes in our place looking for an AR-15 walks out without one. If ARs stopped coming in again, we'd still have a two-month supply or more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

sudden valley gunner

That's actually decidedly untrue.

Most of Doug's posts are, however, intentionally obtuse. It's his style. I suspect it's a form of reverse-ignoring; his posts are intended only for those with the ability and willingness to deconstruct/decipher them.

I see, I get it now. Didn't realize who it was, and remember the style now.

I got to survive keeping my name after an encounter with that rogue mod.....