Thread: Store owner may be booted from mall for defending himself - In TN

Banned

Store owner may be booted from mall for defending himself - In TN

Man Defends Store from Robbery With His Gun…and Now Could Lose His Lease

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...ose-his-lease/

And then one day he was shootin for some foooood, and then came a 9 man swat team to boot in the clink.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Well the store owner was using deadly force to attempt to reclaim his property, not protecting himself.

IMO - not a good decision.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Most likely he is losing his lease for chasing people out of his shop, out of the mall, and into the parking lot and then shooting wildly at nothing in particular.

Just my thought on it.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

David -

Pretend that I am as dumb as you sometimes think I am. Then explain to me how chasing someone while waving a gun and then shooting at them as they run away from yiou is "defending".

Take your time. I have lots of popcorn and a 64-oz Big Gulp, and I'm sitting in my comfy chair while I wait.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    David -

Pretend that I am as dumb as you sometimes think I am. Then explain to me how chasing someone while waving a gun and then shooting at them as they run away from yiou is "defending".

Take your time. I have lots of popcorn and a 64-oz Big Gulp, and I'm sitting in my comfy chair while I wait.

stay safe.
    You have a 64 ounce big gulp?

Does mayor Bloomberg know about your felonious libation?

In all seriousness, thank god for the courts in striking down that nannystate abomination

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Well the store owner was using deadly force to attempt to reclaim his property, not protecting himself.

IMO - not a good decision.
    w3rd

Warning shots, especially in a case where you are attempting to stop people for a pure property crime where no force was used or threatened (the article at least doesn't mention any, and I recogize that many times the media get it wrong) is a very bad idea. And double especially bad idea if it's an urban area. etc where you don't have a good location to fire your warning shots INTO.

My agency recently got rid of our warning shot policy. It was an anachronism. Never used

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PALO View Post
    w3rd

Warning shots, especially in a case where you are attempting to stop people for a pure property crime where no force was used or threatened (the article at least doesn't mention any, and I recogize that many times the media get it wrong) is a very bad idea. And double especially bad idea if it's an urban area. etc where you don't have a good location to fire your warning shots INTO.

My agency recently got rid of our warning shot policy. It was an anachronism. Never used
    Warning shots are potential criminal and/or civil liablity looking for targets of opportunity.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    David -

stay safe.
    Only a 64 oz Big Gulp? I remember the DOUBLE BIG GULP! But, then again, I've never been to NY City or State. Bloomburg be DAMNED!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Only a 64 oz Big Gulp? I remember the DOUBLE BIG GULP! But, then again, I've never been to NY City or State. Bloomburg be DAMNED!
    I unfortunately must sometimes travel through NYC ... but I do save up all my farts inside for about a year & then let them loose when I hit the city limits ... ya know? Ya cannot tell the difference.

Oh, did I mention that I hate NYC?

Founder's Club Member

Gawdawful Journalism

So, lemme get this straight. The Blaze includes a sensational comment about the owner might lose his lease, sourcing it to the WREG report.

But, that report makes an unsupported comment to the same effect, and a few lines down proves it is nothing but speculation by saying the mall management company isn't commenting on the lease.

And, then the OP picks up the story and posts that total speculation here as the central concern.

Do I have all that correct?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.